Perseids meteor shower.... (+ telescopes help...)

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 02:39 am
Hi, anyone see them last night?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 647 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:25 am
There was fair viewing in these parts. The peak seemed to have been around 3:45 - 4:15 am local, but there was activity well into the pre-dawn.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 05:12 pm
I heard it was a bit of a let-down, compared. I only saw a few, some big ones though. Left a trail across the sky.

I'm hoping to buy a telescope, a good one, and I don't know what I should be looking out for...

Can anyone give me any suggestions? Bearing in mind I'm trying to stay as low in price range as poss, but still get a decent telescope... ££££s plz, I just really need to know what's the best and cheapest I can get... Thanks...

Honey_rose_cr
x x x
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:44 pm
A telescope won't be of any use for meteor showers, even relatively low-powered binoculars have too narrow a field of view for broad-sky observation. For general astronomic viewing, there are plenty of decent telecopes available for reasonably low cost. You might want to check around to see if there is an astronomy club in your area - they can be a valuable resource, often having available used telescopes from members. Telescopes.Com is a reputable, competitively-priced on-line retailer, and there is lotsa news and info useful for anyone from beginners to experienced advanced amatures on their website. They have a "Beginner's Telecopes" catalogue HERE, where you can read about and compare entry-level telescopes.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:21 am
K, thanks. It is just for 'general star-gazing'....
0 Replies