No law against lots of children

Reyn

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 08:51 pm
"I'm not a scrounger. There is no law about having lots of kids."

This a quote from the mother of these children from this article. That's all fine and well to say that, but when you're not the one supporting them, other rules should supersede your desire for multiple offspring.

I think this is wrong. Dead wrong. It only encourages a welfare state. The sad part about it is that there are people who genuinely temporarily need help, and they will be viewed in the same light as the family in this story.

Your thoughts.....

Aug 12 2005
By Louise Redvers, The Evening Chronicle

A mum-of-15 who claims £49,000 ($88,925 USD) a year in benefits has hit back at claims her family are scroungers.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icnewcastle/aug2005/4/0/00075CEC-9294-12FC-B3060C01AC1BF814.jpg

Jobless Margaret Wilson says all the Government money she receives is stretched to feed and clothe her children.

She has eight sons and seven daughters, 13 of whom live with her in her four-bedroom council house in Amhurst Road, Fawdon, Newcastle.

The 41-year-old, who grew up in Cowgate, sleeps on the sofa in the front room with her partner Eric while her kids fight over bed space upstairs.

The family are: Gary, 21, Lisa, 17, William, 15, Tony, 13, Tracey, 12, Steven, 10, Sophie, nine, Shaun, eight, Carly, seven Chloe, six, Ryan, five, Courtney, four, Nathan, three, and year-old twins Jordan and Jamie.

William has recently become a parent himself and lives next door with his 17-year-old girlfriend and their daughter Amy, nine months.

Gary has two daughters Chantelle, two and Natalie, four months.

Margaret has been with Eric, also unemployed, for 13 years.

Each week the family get £619 ($1123. USD) child tax credit, £165 ($299. USD) child benefit, £58 ($105 USD) carer's allowance for Stephen and Tony who have attention deficit disorder, £37 ($67. USD) income support and £61 ($110. USD) housing benefit. That is £4,073 ($7391. USD) a month - significantly more than the average monthly salary of £1,833 ($3326. USD).

But Margaret says even though it seems a lot it soon goes on feeding and clothing the children. She said: "The weekly shop costs around £250 ($453. USD) but sometimes it's even more.

"They get through so much food I have to do tea at three sittings. We don't have a dining room table, so they have it on their laps or on the floor in the front room.

"I'm not a scrounger. There is no law about having lots of kids.

"I've thought about contraception. The doctor even gave me the pill once and told me to take it on the first day of my next period, but I didn't have a next period because I was pregnant.

"School holidays are a nightmare. They are in and out all the time. They can't play out the front because they get hassle from the neighbours."

Six-year-old Chloe said: "They call my mum a scrounger which is not very nice."

Chain-smoking Margaret spoke as she was surrounded by her children, one still asleep on the armchair from the night before. She said: "He's got ADHD and I gave him some tablets just before 4am, so he'll be knocked out for a while. He fell asleep on the chair, I didn't think I should move him."

Margaret, who previously lived in Scotswood, moved to Fawdon three years ago while she was pregnant with Nathan.

"We only moved here because they said they wanted to knock our old house down, but it's still there and where we're living now is too small.

"We keep asking the council to help and they did mention a possible loft conversion, but now they're saying it's too expensive."

Eric added: "They keep giving us excuses that they don't have the money but this house is too small for our family."

Margaret was one of five girls and has 12 nieces and nephews with one on the way.

"I always wanted a big family, I planned to have six but somehow I've ended up with 15," she said.

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,837 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 12:53 pm
I wish we could see into the motives of people and the # of children they have.

Some friends of ours have 9 children. They eat a lot of beans and rice, which is delecious.

I'm sure they have had to have some assistance at times, but I also know that they have sacrified much in order to raise their children to be responsible members of society.

As far as the first 3 children - college is on academic scholorships.

Donna is a graduate from the University of Chicago
Sammy is in his 3rd year at Yale, and will continue on to law school
Chago is jus finished his 1st year at the University of Hawaii.

I'm confident the rest will make their parents just as proud, and will all benefit society both in their careers and their personal integrity.

However, there are some out there who keep having more children because they like babies.

I'd have to reserve judgement on this family until I know what's going on with the kids - I don't mind supporting families with lots of kids if they are going to make the world a better place.

Of course you can't tell someone who has a bunch of kids that end up being a drain on society to stop having them either. I much as I wish you could.

Good article Reyn, makes me think.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 01:07 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I'd have to reserve judgement on this family until I know what's going on with the kids - I don't mind supporting families with lots of kids if they are going to make the world a better place.

Of course you can't tell someone who has a bunch of kids that end up being a drain on society to stop having them either. I much as I wish you could.

This story happened in England, but no doubt there will be similar ones in every country.

I don't mind my tax money going to support people in genuine need. In this situation, it almost seems like a self-serving thing. I'll have more kids, so I can get more money, etc.

Not only is there no effort to try to get off welfare, but she keeps having more kids. Never mind what that chain-smoking second-hand smoke must be doing to the health of said kids.

The amount she's getting is a hefty sum. The English gov't is very generous.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 01:11 pm
Yeah, I thought about the smoking bit too.

Especially since she's pregnant all the time.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:19 am
At this point, what more CAN she do? I mean, seriously? She hasn't held a job, we have to assume, and a job paying minimum wage would still not be enough, so she would need support in order to live... + she has how many children who have special needs; how many sitters would be able to handle THEM + the other littler kids? The article doesn't say she's planning on having more children, does it? She's not claiming it's a lifestyle choice in order to continue to pay the bills or any such thing... It seems more as if the kids coming along are as much a surprise as her pleasure. It doesn't claim they are bad children, although 2 do seem to be following in her tradition of starting families younger than I'd 'druther, if they were my sons...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:22 am
Um, has anyone noticed that fat kid in front? She doesn't look like mom and dad are scrounging for food.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:38 am
I wonder if her partner, Eric, is the father of all these childen.

If so, why doesn't he have a job of some description? I think any able-bodied parent should be working and earning a wage first and THEN supplement with government money if need be.

If not, where are the fathers and their child support payments?

I don't mind anyone having lots of children. Children are needed because who else are going to be paying yours and my social security pensions when we get older - these kids that are going to be working (hopefully) and paying taxes right about then.

I personally am of the opinion that I am responsible for taking care of myself/family and not depending on the government or others. The only time I would accept help is if I was physically or mentally incapable of providing for myself and my family. I make a personal decision not to have children but I do want others to have children for the good of the community at large.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:15 am
There are no laws in our society but China and, I believe, So. Korea have laws in place that limit the number of children. I think it was one child per family which led to a lot of abandoned first born girls because the family wanted a son. I'm not sure if the practice still exists, but it was an attempt to control population growth.

I've got mixed feelings about public assistance being open ended without limit to the number of children. On one hand, the child is the innocent one who goes without food and clothing if it's born into a family that can't provide for it. On the other hand it seems a good idea to max out the number of dependents to which a particular family can get public aid.

Margaret is 41 and presumably has a number of child bearing years remaining. The risks of producing children with greater needs increases the older she gets. Even if she starts practicing birth control now, she can prevent numbers 16 through 20 from being born.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:41 am
You think she has to wear special underwear to keep her junk from flapping down her leg and all over the place?

15 kids? DAYUM!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:57 am
Laughing Leave it to slappy to say what's on everyone's minds.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:12 pm
My mom is number 8 out of 11 children that my grandparents had. They were all born in an approximate 22 year span between 1918 and 1940 or close to that. My grandmother did not work outside of the house, but my grandfather sure did, putting in 12 hour days, 6 days a week. There was some social services available during that time, but my grandparents vehemently turned down the offers, saying they could take care of their own. When my grandmother was pregnant with number 10, an adoption agency contacted my grandparents, begging them to put the baby up for adoption. It didn't happen of course, nor did it happen with number 11.

When I say dirt poor, they were definitely dirt poor. My grandmother made dresses for the girls out of old flour sacks and everything else came from second hand stores and a long line of hand me downs. Food was always a stretch, but they made it all work out. For most of the lunches that my mom remembers taking to school, they consisted of unevenly cut homemade bread with maple syrup between the slices. When their huge garden began producing as early in the year as they could get it started, they sometimes had some fresh veggies and a piece of fruit. They always planted two gardens, one early an one late, so they could have the benefit of getting as much canned as they possibly could before the winter set in and the snow covered the ground.

They lived in a three bedroom house, that had no indoor plumbing whatsoever until my mom was in high school. Bathing was done in the huge tub in the kitchen, the outhouse set out in the back yard and daily face washing and toothbrushing was done using the water from the pail gathered from the well. The house was so ramshackle that you could see the dirt and ground between the cracks in the floors and anytime grandpa would find someone willing to give away another rug, he would bring it home to help cover the floors and keep in whatever heat was generated by the wood stove in the kitchen.

They always had a Christmas tree, but never before they woke up on Christmas morning. Sometime late during the night of Christmas Eve, grandpa would either go and cut one down or barter with someone selling them and trade out his services as a handyman. He got each of the children one orange for their stockings and their gifts consisted of used coloring books and used crayons for the younger ones to very tattered and used books for the older ones.

Five of my uncles and 1 of my aunts all joined the military and served in some part of WWII. Three of my uncles were together and walked the death march of Bataan, but one made simply because he had his two brothers to carry him the last leg of the march. All of the kids began working some type of job part time by the age of 14 and each of them gave half of their paychecks to their mom.

Each child went on to become an exemplary citizen to their hometown and to the general public in large. Many of them went to college or learned a trade in the service. None of them ever were a burden on society by going on welfare and they all eventually married and had children of their own, giving me 35 first cousins, that I am as close to as if each were my own sibling.

I guess my point is, after all this rambling, is that it CAN be done and it can be done without any government subsidies. It all depends on the outlook the family takes.

Why Margarets live in boyfriend of 13 years isn't mentioned as having some kind of job perplexes me a bit. With that many children, it is obvious that the older ones can take care of the younger ones, so why is Eric not doing anything to support the whole bunch? It smacks of laziness and apathy and free ride in my opinion. Earn what you can, dude and then get help for the rest if you need it. Too many countries have made it too darn easy to get handouts at every corner.

Granted, there is no law against having a tribe of children, but I believe the responsibility of having that many has to start at home. The mere fact that Margaret scoffed at the idea of any form of birth control, even after she was going to try it but ended up pregnant, really makes me think this is more of a sham than a shame.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:14 pm
Seriously.

That sh!t's gotta look like roadkill that's been through a blender.

Probably smells like Indian food and diapers, too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:20 pm
Oh. I didn't need that image.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:22 pm
Slappy, dude! Don't ruin my yet to be had lunch! Razz
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:07 am
Re: No law against lots of children
Hi Reyn, thanks for posting this article. I'll comment in blue, below.

Reyn wrote:

Aug 12 2005
By Louise Redvers, The Evening Chronicle

A mum-of-15 who claims £49,000 ($88,925 USD) a year in benefits has hit back at claims her family are scroungers.

Woof, that's a lot of cabbage. In the US, the most recent census (2000) shows that the average household income rate is $42,873, with the highest being in a little over $55,000 in Alaska, a state known for its inflation. See: http://www.census.gov/statab/ranks/rank33.xls

Average annual pay for 2002 is $36,764, with the highest being just under $58,000 in DC (income and pay are not the same because people get Social Security benefits, alimony, child support, income from the sale of stocks and other property, etc.). In any event, all of these numbers are way lower than the almost $89,000 this family is getting.

Poverty thresholds in the US in 1999 (it was the most recent article I could find) meant an income of just over $32,000 for a family of nine, eight of whom would be kids. See: http://www.census.gov/hhes/poverty/threshld/thresh99.html Multiplying that times 2 (for 18 people or, one more than are in the current household) brings you to just over $64,000. But we have to take into account the two children with problems, so the award this family has is probably okay in terms of the calculations that the agency performs. I'm sure it's true that it's not enough to feed all of those people.

Jobless Margaret Wilson says all the Government money she receives is stretched to feed and clothe her children.

She has eight sons and seven daughters, 13 of whom live with her in her four-bedroom council house in Amhurst Road, Fawdon, Newcastle.

Where is Child Services in all of this? Or at least the Fire Department? There are too many people in that home and it is probably a hazard for all.

The 41-year-old, who grew up in Cowgate, sleeps on the sofa in the front room with her partner Eric while her kids fight over bed space upstairs.

See, now, if Eric could get off the couch and sleep upstairs every now and then, .... You get the idea.

The family are: Gary, 21, Lisa, 17, William, 15, Tony, 13, Tracey, 12, Steven, 10, Sophie, nine, Shaun, eight, Carly, seven Chloe, six, Ryan, five, Courtney, four, Nathan, three, and year-old twins Jordan and Jamie.

There hasn't been a year without a pregnancy or a least one child in diapers since before the eldest was conceived.

William has recently become a parent himself and lives next door with his 17-year-old girlfriend and their daughter Amy, nine months.

Check the numbers. William is 15. This means that his child was conceived when he was 14. And so the cycle repeats itself. At this rate, we can expect, in the next five years, for three of the other kids to become parents (maybe even as many as four of the other kids), plus William would have a second or even a third child if the rate holds true, and Gary would also have one or two more kids.

Gary has two daughters Chantelle, two and Natalie, four months.

His first kid was conceived when he was 18. His mother, in contrast, conceived her first child when she was 20. So Gary's ahead of Mom, but not ahead of William.

Margaret has been with Eric, also unemployed, for 13 years.

Since they've been together for 13 years, there are three or four kids who are not Eric's. Where is their father or fathers in all of this? Where's the child support? Gary is over 18 but Lisa, William and Tony (who, given the numbers, may or may not be Eric's) are not. Who's supporting them? Why isn't the government going after their dad or dads?

And, good ole unemployment -- why isn't the government at least making a passing effort to get at least Eric working?

Each week the family get £619 ($1123. USD) child tax credit, £165 ($299. USD) child benefit, £58 ($105 USD) carer's allowance for Stephen and Tony who have attention deficit disorder, £37 ($67. USD) income support and £61 ($110. USD) housing benefit. That is £4,073 ($7391. USD) a month - significantly more than the average monthly salary of £1,833 ($3326. USD).

"They get through so much food I have to do tea at three sittings. We don't have a dining room table, so they have it on their laps or on the floor in the front room.

Again, where is Child Welfare in all of this? If there is no dining room table, then where are the kids doing their homework? How clean is the home if food is eaten in several rooms?

"I'm not a scrounger. There is no law about having lots of kids.

True, but there are laws against abuse and neglect.

"I've thought about contraception. The doctor even gave me the pill once and told me to take it on the first day of my next period, but I didn't have a next period because I was pregnant.

Once? Sheesh. This gal clearly thinks some things through. Why the heck can't she think through birth control? And where is her doctor, anyway? If the pill doesn't work, why didn't he or she talk to her about having her tubes tied, a vasectomy for Eric, a diaphragm, the morning-after pill, a cervical cap or just spending a few bucks and buying (and using) condoms?!??!! Or, here's a wild concept, crossing her legs or telling ole Eric to keep it in his shorts?!?!??!? Sorry if that's crass, but where is the medical community in all of this? Surely she is getting prenatal care (if not, at least in the US, she'd be up on abuse and neglect charges once a child was born), so it's not like she's totally isolated from the medical community.

Chain-smoking Margaret spoke as she was surrounded by her children, one still asleep on the armchair from the night before. She said: "He's got ADHD and I gave him some tablets just before 4am, so he'll be knocked out for a while. He fell asleep on the chair, I didn't think I should move him."

That's rich. In 2003 (the most recent year I could find), cigarettes in the UK cost about £3.50. See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3206440.stm I went to look at Ocado's website for groceries (there was a site for Tesco, but I didn't want to register) and learned that a package of everyday loose tea is about £1.85, or just over 1/2 the price of a package of smokes.

As for the kid with ADHD, once again, I repeat, where the hell is Child Services in all of this? Is she just knocking out her kids rather than dealing with them? At minimum, Child Welfare should be following up on the kids with disabilities.

Eric added: "They keep giving us excuses that they don't have the money but this house is too small for our family."

No, you keep giving excuses as to why you keep having more children. Go watch TV or go for a walk every now and then when you get the urge, instead of fulfilling that urge, and then talk to me about excuses and also talk to me about why you should be deciding where (and how much) governmental agencies should be spending other people's tax dollars.

Margaret was one of five girls and has 12 nieces and nephews with one on the way.

"I always wanted a big family, I planned to have six but somehow I've ended up with 15," she said.

Most of us have (or don't have) kids based, in part, upon economics. A desire for a large family should be inextricably linked with a desire to provide for said family.

Source[/color]

<sigh> Actually, I wonder why this is a news story at all. Sure, it's depressing and all, but really, is there a purpose to talking about this right now? Is the family actively running around to the local press, trying to get them to help in the quest for a larger house? Or is the local press just interested because of this family's race? Why is this newsworthy? Welfare cheats have been around as long as there's been welfare -- and yeah, I think the parents are cheats although I feel for the children and am appalled at the government's complete and utter (so it seems) lack of responsibility. Someone has to be the grownup here. Except for one kid, none of the children are over 18. You cannot expect it from them. You cannot expect it from the parents, they have proven that time and again. So what's left is the social safety net, and from where I'm sitting it looks like there are some gaping holes in there if no one is screaming about prevention.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:22 am
Great post, Jes.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:33 am
Hey, thanks. Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:51 am
Jespah, thanks for taking the time for your excellent detailed post. You make many good points.

I find the original post quite a sad indictment of our times.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:56 pm
Probably looks like a severed limb, all bloody with the bits dangling or what not.

And smells like the liquid that collects at the bottom of trash barrells.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 05:20 pm
Slappy, you simply must get over your obsession about this woman's pulverized poontang. You'll never be able to look a regular woman straight in the eye again if all you can envision is this.... Razz

Excellent post, Jespah. And I agree with you wholeheartedly.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » No law against lots of children
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:28:40