People try to lose weight at McDonald's

Reyn

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 10:39 pm
People try to lose weight at McDonald's

Aug 11, 11:11 PM EDT
By VALERIE BAUMAN
Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- Inspired by the documentary "Super Size Me," Merab Morgan decided to give a fast-food-only diet a try. The construction worker and mother of two ate only at McDonald's for 90 days - and dropped 37 pounds in the process.

It was a vastly different outcome than what happened in the documentary to filmmaker Morgan Spurlock, who put on 30 pounds and saw his health deteriorate after 5,000 calories a day of nothing but McDonald's food.

Morgan, from Raleigh, thought the documentary had unfairly targeted the world's largest restaurant company, implying that the obese were victims of a careless corporate giant. People are responsible for what they eat, she said, not restaurants. The problem with a McDonald's-only diet isn't what's on the menu, but the choices made from it, she said.

"I thought it's two birds with one stone - to lose weight and to prove a point for the little fat people," Morgan said. "Just because they accidentally put an apple pie in my bag instead of my apple dippers doesn't mean I'm going to say, 'Oh, I can eat the apple pie.'"

Spurlock, who turned his surprise-hit movie into a TV show on the FX network, isn't talking about Morgan or the many other McDieters who have criticized his film and found success losing weight by eating healthy foods off the McDonald's menu, said his publicist, David Magdael.

One person went so far as to make her own independent film about dieting at McDonald's. "Me and Mickey D" follows Soso Whaley, of Kensington, N.H., as she spends three 30-day periods on the diet. She dropped from 175 to 139 pounds, eating 2,000 calories-a-day at McDonald's.

"I had to think about what I was eating," Whaley said. "I couldn't just walk in there and say 'I'll take a cinnamon bun and a Diet Coke.' ... I know a lot of people are really turned off by the whole thought of monitoring what they are eating, but that's part of the problem."

As might be expected, McDonald's also objected to the impressions left by Spurlock's film. Walt Riker, the company's vice president of corporate communications, said Oak Brook, Ill.-based company is pleased - but not surprised - that some customers have lost weight eating only at the fast-food giant.

Spurlock's film "really spurred a backlash based on common sense," Riker said.

Morgan used nutritional information downloaded from McDonald's Web site to create meal plans of no more than 1,400 calories a day. She only ate french fries twice, usually choosing burgers and salads. Those choices are a stark contrast with those made by Spurlock, who ate every menu item at least once.

At the end of the 90 days, she had dropped from 227 to 190 pounds.

"It feels great," she said. "Because, the truth of the matter is that beauty is power, and if you're fat, or your overweight, then people don't really take you seriously."

Dawn Jackson Blatner, a registered dietitian and spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, agreed that a low-calorie, McDonald's-only diet can help people lose weight but said it may not offer enough long-term variety. Whatever an individual does to lose weight, they need to do for the rest of their life, she said.

Morgan said she hasn't decided if she will stick with the McDonald's-only plan to reach her goal of 150 pounds. But she does have one complaint about McDonald's.

"If I could suggest anything to McDonald's, I would suggest the McMargarita," Morgan said. "Dine-in only, of course."

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,565 • Replies: 32
No top replies

OperaGhost

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 10:48 pm
That's an interesting take on it. Personally of all places, I wouldn't pick McDonald's to try and lose weight, but I can see her point. And I definitely agree that what people choose to eat is at fault and not specifically a resturaunt. My question is, did McDonald's even have their so called "healthy menu" before Super-Size Me came out?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 11:40 pm
OperaGhost wrote:
My question is, did McDonald's even have their so called "healthy menu" before Super-Size Me came out?

I'm not the McDonald's expert, but I don't think so.

Anybody here a resident expert on McD?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 06:39 am
McDonald's introduced the "healthy" menu when the Fight the Obese Blitz kicked into popular culture.

Fast food fodder isn't the ideal diet, but as the Subway Shrinker proved again, Portion Control, is the key to weight loss. As long as you eat fewer calories than you burn--even if you eat junk--the pounds will peel off.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 06:46 am
Oddly enough when I ate McDonald's food several times a week I lost many things. Weight, interest in life, health, the ability to hold a meaningful conversation and a series of other things as well.
It was not until I discovered the joys of eating at Burger King that things improved.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 06:56 am
I have travelled and eaten a number of my meals at McDonalds. If you pick and choose, you CAN get by eating a relatively healthy diet.When I get a salad, I do one of thwo things. Either I get the diet dressing, or only use half the dressing in the packet.

I have posted links to the nutritional information of 4 of the most popular fast food joints. You can print these out, and then have a better "handle" on what is healthy to eat, and what isn't!

http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.index1.html

http://www.calorie-counters.net/wendys.html

http://www.yum.com/nutrition/documents/kfc_nutrition.pdf

One of my favorites, KFC's Chicken Pot Pie, has 770 calories. I suppose that I will have to forget about that! Sad

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 06:59 am
One of the comedies I remember about McDonald's was a few years ago where it was revealed that the french fries and fish were fried up in the beef fat drippings from the burgers. It was not so much the health issue at the time as it was a matter of concern to persons who did not eat beef for religious beliefs and to vegetarians as well.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:21 am
Quote:
It was not so much the health issue at the time as it was a matter of concern to persons who did not eat beef for religious beliefs and to vegetarians as well.

I think that it is more of a health issue. People who don't eat beef for religious reasons are not wise by eating in a McDonald's at all. If they are kosher, they also have no business patronizing a fast food joint.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:30 am
No one actually wants the healthy stuff all the time. Not when the fries and greasy buger are so much better.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:39 am
Bella Dea- I am someone who has had a running battle with weight all of my life. Whenever I now want something that I know is really bad for me, a little voice in my head says,

"A moment on the lips, and forever on the hips!" Laughing

That straightens me out, fast!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:40 am
Reyn wrote:
OperaGhost wrote:
My question is, did McDonald's even have their so called "healthy menu" before Super-Size Me came out?

I'm not the McDonald's expert, but I don't think so.

you would be correct in that guess.
Not a single thing on McS**t's menue was labled 'healthy' or even advertised in a healthy idea before that movie hit everyones TV.
Out of the blue, they started advertising thier salads MORE ( even though they were there before..) Adjusting thier other menu items and so on.

Even now, what they call 'healthy' is strange to me.
They advertise apple dips ( for example ) as healthy items for your kids to have.
Then they give a syrup of sugar , food coloring, and caramel to pour over the apple pieces.. Rolling Eyes
But, this is a soap box I wont get on.. I will spare everone. :-)

Yes, you CAN eat with in the normal calorie range and include McDonalds as part of your diet. Healthy? I would question that.
The oils and fats they use to fry , bake, cook or what have you.. are laoded with stuff that most of us cant pronounce. Let alone understand what they are. Sugar is an additive in almost everything they have. This I know because I worked there when I was young and one of the ingredience in the meat, breads, 'french fries' etc... was sugar. Granulated sugars do horrible things to the body.
But.. I promised not to get on that soap box..

In Super size me, one thing I noticed was, the guy.. ( i dont remember his name ) wasnt trying to do a calorie conscious diet. He was eating the way MOST ( not all ) people do when they stop in at McD's.
Not may people pay attention to what they consume , like Phoenix does, when they drive through there. They just want a burger, or some fries ... with no thought as to the daily intake of calories and fat. Doing this as much as MOST people do is contributing to obesity. BUT- then again- if you dont pay attention to what goes in YOUR mouth, you cant blame the server.
His other major point was how little is available or commonly known about their ingredience. Who knew that a slab of thier beef could contain pieces of meat from DOZENS of other cows at a time?
Where are all of those cows from?
What did THEY eat?
How much antibiotics were THEY pumped with?
And so on.. and so on..

I question his motives in attacking only ONE fast food joint, only ONE restaurant.. what have you..
There are many others that are WORSE. And you can make just as many bad diet choices at BK or Wendys, or Taco bell.
I think the way he presented the case was... ehh.. OK at best , but his point was lost in the big scheme of things simply because very VERY few people eat only at McDonalds.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:41 am
It is SO hard! I have to start thinking about what I put in my mouth for the first time in my life and it is very difficult. I have a new found respect for those who can watch what they eat.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:44 am
i watch what i eat.
i watch it go from plate to mouth...
Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:50 am
Bella Dea- Just for the hell of it, keep a food diary for a couple of days. Write down EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING that you put into your mouth, Then add up the calories, and really see what you have consumed.

You may be very shocked. The interesting thing is, that if you tune yourself in, there are ways that you can cut calories, and still get the same enjoyment from a meal. Use 2% milk, instead of whole milk. Watch the calories on breakfast cereals.................most of them are out of sight.
Get in the habit of eating a lot of salads, with only a smidgen of dressing, and fresh, raw veggies. They fill you up, and offer a lot of bang for your nutritional buck.

Stay away from canned soup. They may not have a lot of calories, but they are full of sodium, which will cause you to retain water. I had a coupon for South Beach Diet meals. I took a look. Each meal had 1200-1400 mg. of sodium. Fuggedaboudit!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:53 am
Ooops
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:53 am
It is so important to read the nutrient information wherever you eat. There is a "healthy" lunch place near where I work. The way the menu reads and the way they market and advertise you would think this place serves very healthy lunches. One day we looked up their nutrimental information on the internet. It was a shock - this place that services fresh fruit, high nutrient drinks, salads, wraps and similar was full of fat, calories and sodium. As a matter of fact, the majority of these "healthy" wraps had more fat, calories and sodium than a big mac.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:57 am
When I go, I typically get a grilled chicken sandwich w/no mayo, diet coke, and fries. The fries don't even add a ton of fat, and I try to pack on calories anyway.

I've never seen Supersize Me, but from reading about it, I don't really think he made much of a point. Just shows how f'n dumb people are in this country regarding nutrition if they were surprised at what happens on a 5,000 calorie burger/fries diet.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:59 am
Super Size me was a good look at how *(yes I agree with Slappy) stupid people are. It was shocking though to hear that McD's considers those who eat there once a week "heavy users". Something like 72% of their customers are heavy users. It was also very interesting to see what a high fat diet can do to your body, other than make it fat.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 08:05 am
Bella Dea wrote:
It was shocking though to hear that McD's considers those who eat there once a week "heavy users". .

yup.
out of McDonalds OWN mouth..
you shouldnt eat thier food that often..

things that make you go HMMMMMMM
:wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 08:18 am
Phoenix and others bring up a good point about sodium. There's salt (or its various derivatives) in just about everything. People with high blood pressure problems must be careful with their daily intake.

My wife, who is one of those, and I read all packaging labels carefully when we're in the supermarket, but when out in a restaurant, it becomes more difficult. We do the best we can in that case.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » People try to lose weight at McDonald's
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/24/2024 at 02:31:49