Working From Home VS. Working in the Office. Which is better and why?

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2022 01:12 pm
Working From Home VS. Working in the Office.

Which is better and why?

hightor

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2022 02:12 pm
@Real Music,
Firstly, many jobs don't offer the option – I've worked in a shipyard, as a landscaper, as part of a maintenance team at a craft school, and in construction. But were I an office worker, from my viewpoint, if the commute weren't too bad I think I'd prefer the office. I like the idea of punching out and going home. It's my sanctuary. I'd resent being expected to "be on call" at any time. I wouldn't want to sacrifice domestic space for a job. There have been times when I really hated showing up at the jobsite...I'd hate to feel that way about approaching my front door! But I can see how it would be appealing to people as long as they feel productive and aren't being exploited.
jespah

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2022 07:05 am
I was WFH 100% before the pandemic because the office is in Tampa.

I love it. 5 second commute, No real dress code. My office has windows. Snacks in hand. RP is my awesome office mate. Hours are flexible so long as I do the work and attend most meetings.

I have multiple Zoom meetings every day but Fridays, so I see and talk to my colleagues all the time.

I'm not constantly on call although I often answer texts after hours, mainly because many of my coworkers are in other time zones.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2022 10:46 am
I worked for the Dept. of Defense and we were never able to work from home. If there was an immediate need for you, you got a phone call and then traveled in right away. My husband still works there and during the COVID spell, everyone was sent home with the exception of people in critical areas. Even today, they recently brought back the mask requirement to keep people protected. Our agency is on a military base and our director is a Military General, so we follow many (almost all) of the rules they issue for the the base personnel. (We don't have uniform inspections because we don't wear uniforms, unless of course you are in the military). One of the things I liked about the office, is once you were off, no one could call and ask you a question. If they absolutely had to have it, you would be called back in....none of the managers liked to do that.

Even today, if they need something from Mr. G'bag, they call and tell him to report for a meeting...or tell him there are forms that he must fill out the next time he is at work. You cannot take your cell phone into the office, you can't play your personal music, you can't do many things that many of todays office workers like to do. Also, you can't log into Facebook or check your personal accounts because the computers are highly restricted for Govt. work only. Now that is a real upsetting notion for the newly hired, because it hasn't dawned on them they work in a highly classified environment. IF you stupidly bring your phone to work to take pictures (and it's discovered) your phone will be confiscated until it's completely reviewed and cleared....takes about 3 months.
And it really screws up your future advancement.

I know it sounds incredibly rigid but in that environment it's essential. It's not because they want to curtail your personal freedoms, it because they don't want any personal/professional communications to be intercepted by unfriendly countries.

So, would I like to work from home? That would be great but impossible in my past career. Since I retired I've served on several non-profit boards, I don't know how they dealt with COVID....one organization was a rehabilitation/elder center and the other was an organization that provided training and possible employment for developmentally disabled adults.......neither needed people with possible COVID symptoms...I imagine all that business was conducted online.

So on one hand I liked the security of the office, but some professions are really well suited for Home Working.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2022 10:56 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Firstly, many jobs don't offer the option – I've worked in a shipyard, as a landscaper, as part of a maintenance team at a craft school, and in construction.

1. Yes, it is true that many jobs don't offer the option of working from home.

2. As presented by your examples, some jobs cannot be done from home.

3. I don't know for sure. Maybe most jobs are more like the examples you gave. Meaning that they can't be done from home.

4. I wonder what the ratio is, to the number of jobs that cannot be done at home is compared to the number of jobs that can be done at home. I don't know if anyone knows, but I am curious.

Quote:
But were I an office worker, from my viewpoint, if the commute weren't too bad I think I'd prefer the office. I like the idea of punching out and going home. It's my sanctuary.

1. I prefer having the opportunity to get out of the house and be around my co-worders and to be around the customers.

2. Throughout my work-life, I've always worked where I had direct human contact with co-workers and customers.

3. I don't know if working from home would be good for me, because I am so use to be around people when I'm working.

4. Since I've never worked from home, I cannot say for sure if I would like it or not.

Quote:
I'd resent being expected to "be on call" at any time.

1. I agree with you 100 percent.

2. When I am off the clock, that means I am not available.
0 Replies