Percentage of Lawyers in the United States and Elsewhere

gollum

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2022 03:49 pm
I think that the percentage of lawyers in the U.S. population is relatively high and increasing.

In a country such as Japan, I think that the percentage of lawyers is low.

This may result in making our products and services not competitive in the marketplace.

Is there a way for the U.S. to lower its percentage? I believe that some U.S. States have liability laws that make it difficult to sue based on a non-economic loss. Are those States more competitive?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 390 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by gollum
izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2022 09:33 am
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." Dick the Butcher, Henry VI part 1
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2022 09:35 am
Lawyers, like insurance agents, feed off of public need.
0 Replies

Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2022 10:12 am
@gollum,
I researched quickly and it seems that you’re Wrong. In order to properly inform your opinion (or bias) , query Google that info (e.g. ‘lawyers per capita for the most populous nations’ or something similar) and you’d find the correct info. Europe (particularly Greece, Italy, Turkey, and UK far outstrip the USA on a per capita basis. The statistics are there in your favorite search engine.

States like California, NY and MD (of course Wash DC) have a disproportionate amount. However, that being said, in total number, with a population of around 330 m we have an amazing amount (upwards of 1.1 m to 1.3m). Focusing attention on their marketing and advertising, they are also highly visible. It seems as though they have every other commercial on tv. Furthermore, they are employed as legislators and infest Congress and local, states and federal government.
Ragman

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2022 10:33 am
@Ragman,
On a per capita basis (as of 2016), USA has one lawyer for every 300-400 persons or 0.36%). Many populous countries are 2 x 4 times that per capita amount.
0 Replies