I accidentally disturbed a chipmunk nest

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 07:00 pm
So I was cleaning out some major weeds in my garden. We have been doing work on our home and will be doing more so I haven't done anything with my garden. After coming back from vacation it was a disaster and near the house where we will be putting in a patio so I started pulling tall weeds ..I ended up pulling up twigs and some stuffing and then saw a chipmunk underneath ...realized I must have disturbed a nest with a mom and babies. I took a large stick and used the the stuffing and twigs o cover her up again. Anything else I should do?

Keeping the dogs away as it is right next to our back door and how long will they be there? Our next phase of work is in a few weeks ...hopefully they solve on their way at that point.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 596 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 07:08 pm
@Linkat,
Now looking at this more I think it was a baby bunny. Any thoughts
glitterbag

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 08:31 pm
@Linkat,
I think you're supposed to leave them alone, the mothers leave them covered up and come back later to feed them. The mothers are trying to protect them from predators. The local authorities always warn us about disturbing bunny nests, they haven't been abandoned, they are just being hidden. The bunnies are so tiny it's hard not to get a heart tug. By the way, cats are also big predators, so if you have cats don't let them see you near the nest.
Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 08:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Yeah I don't have cats..now..Andi am keeping the pups away. I simply recovered the one I saw and am trying to five them their space..and keeping my momma eye on them.

Didn't realize they were there until I pulled the weeds and saw the nest. We have so much wildlife near us I try to keep things in balance as much as possible.

Been seeing lots of fireflies recently which I understand are endangered.. I love seeing their lights.
Linkat

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2022 01:37 pm
The baby seems fine ...I looked today and nest is more hidden now...I think I saw the mom or at least an adult bunny was enjoying the grass thus morning!
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2022 01:52 pm
@Linkat,
It's been a great year for fireflies here as well!
0 Replies