Soldering

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:32 am
Does anybody know anything about soldering?
Ive done a bit before but I just wondered what was the best metals to use?
What thickness (thread metal)should I go for in order for something to keep its shape(I want to make flowers)
Whats the best solder to use?
If I wanted to make flowers from some kind of gold coloured metal is there a gold coloured solder or is it only available in silver?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 844 • Replies: 3
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:45 pm
I don't think soldering will fit the bill for you. It does a good job of securing electrical contacts into a circuit board, but to attach two pieces of wire or other metal it is not very good. The connection will be very brittle and break apart easily.

I did use solder once to connect metal wire for an art project where I didn't have time to weld. It worked ok but obviously didn't last long.

Some general tips though, are to make sure that you sand down the metal surfaces with some steel wool or sandpaper first...and make sure you are heating up the metal you want to join and using that to indirectly heat up the solder and let it flow into the joint, rather than sticking both the solder and the thread into each other!

Also, if you use a trigger-gun those usually get a lot hotter and make a better hold than those little pencil sticks.

I don't know about the type of solder, I've used various resin based solder and never noticed much of a difference.

But what you really need is to weld, that will hold it well and it will look gold also.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 07:42 am
Silver solder will do it, all the while looking like silver. It's going to take a fairly elaborate (expensive) torch setup to do it though.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:20 am
Silver would be luuuverleey.But im trying to keep cost doen so Il just dream about it for now.
Thanks
0 Replies