DNA on drivers liscences

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:38 pm
I'm a bartender and I just recently got re-certified, and while I was there, the instructor mentioned that within 4 years our DNA and fingerprints could be planted onto our ID's. I've taken genetics classes and I can't understand how our DNA could be placed on an object such as a drivers liscence, and how would anyone expect to process that DNA without the proper equipment? Technically when we touch our ID aren't we transferring our DNA on it along with our fingerprints anyway? Anyone have any theories and if this is even true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 608 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:56 pm
DNA is a molecule of matter. What makes each of our's unique is how the molecules components are assembled.

If the sequence of your DNA can be determined, the sequence could be recorded pretty much anywhere.

Think of DNA as the recipie for your favorite cake. You don't need to carry around a piece of the cake to let people know which is your favorite. As long as someone can read the recipe they can make one any time they want to.

It's the recipe that would be encoded onto forms of ID, not the cake. Wink And it's not only possible but it is done. The U.S. military encodes a portion of some military member's DNA onto their current ID cards.
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:50 pm
Thanks for the reply, that makes more sense now that I think about it. Smile I didn't realize they were already doing it on military ID's. I see those all the time where I work, do you have any idea how they encode it? Not that I'd know what it means, but it might be interesting to see.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 03:02 pm
It can be encoded onto a magnetic strip or on a barcode is someone wants to. It's no different than linking your entire financial life into the magnetic strip on your ATM card.

The military IDs have a small authentication chip embedded in them that links to several databases - one of which is the person's medical files.
0 Replies