Street Walkers

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 12:42 pm
What's the deal with people walking in the street when there is a perfectly nice sidewalk?

I notice this frequently - it is a nice day and someone is taking a walk in the neighborhood and viola they are walking in the street while the side walk is two feet from them. It can be someone alone, with a couple of people, with their dogs or with a stroller; it can be young kids, teens, adults or seniors.

If you are a street walker, please explain why...don't you know it can be dangerous especially around corners and in the dark?

engineer

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 12:56 pm
@Linkat,
Hmm, street walker usually has a different meaning than what I think you intend. It will be interesting if anyone confesses to being one.
roger

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 01:04 pm
@Linkat,
I've wondered, too. It's not really common around here, but very noticeable when you see it.
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 01:08 pm
@engineer,
I am not that sheltered! Yeah it caught your attention - didn't it!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 01:12 pm
@roger,
This is what it looks like - you see that one person walking in the sidewalk and those other two in the street

https://oregonbikelaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/IMG_2271.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 01:19 pm
In many neighborhoods the sidewalks are not well kept. Irregularities, sinking, etc. In some cases the streets are the better alternative. That said, when I walk in the park there are walkers and bicyclists in the street while there is a broad selection of good trails to walk, all perfectly smooth and many even paved. So, I dunno.
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 01:21 pm
This reminds me of a real streetwalker I ran into when I lived in Florida. I always left the house around 4:30 am to hit the gym before going to work. Well I got half way to the gym when I realized I forgot my gym bag so I made a quick stop to turn around. The corner I stopped at had a streetwalker standing there and she must have thought I stopped for her because she turned around smiled and waived at me.

I drove right past her! Cool
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 01:49 pm

i would do that to social distance... not so much any more...

R(see sigline)P

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
coluber2001

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 02:11 pm
@PoliteMight,
I live in a small, independent town within Dallas. Mostly, there are no sidewalks, so we have to walk in the street and it's no big deal. They started putting in some sidewalks but the strange thing is that at one end of the walk there is a wheelchair ramp but not at the other. So if a person in a wheelchair goes on the sidewalk, he gets to the end and then has to turn around. Therefore, a person in a wheelchair still has to use the street.
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 03:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

In many neighborhoods the sidewalks are not well kept. Irregularities, sinking, etc. In some cases the streets are the better alternative. That said, when I walk in the park there are walkers and bicyclists in the street while there is a broad selection of good trails to walk, all perfectly smooth and many even paved. So, I dunno.

Agreed why I said the following:

Quote:
when there is a perfectly nice sidewalk

I am speaking to well maintained sidewalks like in the picture I showed above.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 03:05 pm
@jcboy,
Ha ha - In my younger years I remember going to the theatre district in Boston- I think I was going there for a particular club/bar/restaurant or something. At that time, the "combat zone" and theatre district were right next to one another and kind of crossed paths in certain areas. Anyway I snagged a great parking space right near where I was going to meet friends. And if you know Boston this is about the most awesome thing in the world; a treasure you are not going to give up.

Unfortunately it was right near where a street walker (not the ones I am referring to as she was on the sidewalk) was standing. Not sure what she expected from me, but she came up to my car. I am by myself in my 20s and I have this street walker right up by my window....but heck I was not giving up that spot. So I just sat there and ignored her until she left.

That space was just too good but I did not want to converse with her as I had no idea what that would be all about.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 03:09 pm
Here is another one - what about parking lot crossers? You know those people when you are driving in say a grocery store and you are near the front of the store and they just cross in front of you taking their time walking diagonally - not straight across in the cross walks made for this situation?

Or those that just willy nilly walk slowly through the middle of the parking lot blocking the area where people are supposed to drive instead of walking to the side so the cars can pass them.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 03:11 pm
@Linkat,
They might also regard sidewalks as personal property, not wishing to encroach.
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 03:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

They might also regard sidewalks as personal property, not wishing to encroach.

To be honest - I've never heard of that - that sidewalks are personal property - or ever heard anything to think that -- is this different in other areas of the US or world?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 03:17 pm
@Linkat,
I've felt that way in some neighborhoods.
engineer

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 03:27 pm
@Linkat,
Where I live, the city owns the sidewalk and has right of way over the strip of land between the sidewalk and the street.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 03:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I've felt that way in some neighborhoods.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having them if they are private.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 03:48 pm
@Linkat,
I knew they weren't private, but in some neighborhoods the sidewalks are not that far away from the house. So I used the street.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 11:17 pm
When walking on the sidewalk, you think of the old phrase, “step on a crack, break your mothers back!” So then you gotta walk on the street.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Street Walkers
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 07:59:39