Movies from books

Yalow

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2022 07:01 am
I don't like to watch movies coming from books, because the scenario changes things and adds new scenes. What about you?

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2022 07:15 am
@Yalow,
Depends on the movie. Lord of the Flies and Grapes of Wrath, for instance, did credible work. The biggest flaw in Grapes of Wrath might be ignoring the between chapters which provides an overview in an already long movie. Also eliminating the final chapter could be a problem for some.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2022 07:33 am
For starters, The Wizard of Oz was great.
The Godfather, also.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2022 08:47 am
Milagro Bean Field War followed the book very closely. I noticed two book characters got combined into one. but it didn't hurt the production.

Both are worth your time, by the way.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2022 08:08 pm
Far From the Madding Crowd

is one of my favorite novels. I realize it casts me pretty accurately as a light-weight because the Thomas Hardy book is a formulaic romance. But, I loved it.

I fell completely in love with Gabriel Oak and remained riveted throughout during the summer of my 20th year.

Then I happily found the beautiful 1967 film rendition soon after—and the most recent version.

I think the English countryside should’ve been cast and awarded on par with human actors. Although I’m partial to the Christie-Bates film, the newer one wasn’t far from the mark.

❤️

hightor

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2022 03:54 am
@Lash,
(I've always thought that all of Hardy's novels are cinema-worthy – and their pessimism (he called it "realism") saves them from being merely formulaic.)

The film Ulysses (1967) actually does a credible job bringing Joyce's characters to life. It's a good preliminary to actually reading the novel.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2022 05:04 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Then I happily found the beautiful 1967 film rendition soon after—and the most recent version.
Weatherbury Farm, the house of Bathsheba Everdene, is based on Waterston Manor.
I think, I must have been to every country pub between Puddletown and Piddlehinton more than once and to some more notable Hardy-related places in Hardy County (when I stayed at my summer-holiday-guest parent's 1963 to 1968).
hightor

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2022 05:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I think, I must have been to every country pub between Puddletown and Piddlehinton and some more notable Hardy-related places in Hardy County...

I'm truly envious!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2022 05:11 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I'm truly envious!
Well, the disadvantage was that back in Germany, we had to read Hardy in English class at school - after my "experience report" about the holidays.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2022 06:00 am
@hightor,
I own a copy of that Ulysses and have watched it numerous times. I know it's not the entire novel, but I love it.
hightor

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2022 08:20 am
@edgarblythe,
The "Cyclops" episode in the pub – I love it!
izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2022 08:31 am
I live in Hardy's Wessex, or the edge of it, but I'm no fan. I had to study Tess for A level and loathed it.

I'm looking forward to any future Bernie Gunther films. Apparently Tom Hanks is a fan and there is talk of making some films but nothing concrete yet.

The other say the Guardian published a list of the top ten novels set in post war Germany and I was pleased to see that Philip Kerr's The One From the Other was top of the list.

It's the first Bernie Gunther I read.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2022 08:32 am
@hightor,
Perfect.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2022 12:48 pm
Sanctuary, purportedly based on a Faulkner novel, isn't the same story at all.
Destry Rides again cops the title, but instead tells a sequel type story about the son of the main character in the book.
The Last Temptation of Christ is so off the mark I lost interest and fell asleep.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2022 02:28 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I live in Hardy's Wessex, or the edge of it, but I'm no fan. I had to study Tess for A level and loathed it.

Tess of the D'urbervilles
I first saw the BBC version and then read the book.
It's a tragedy upon a tragedy upon a tragedy. Still, it's unforgettable, especially the BBC video version.
P E Dant

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2023 06:06 pm
@coluber2001,
This is a reversal of the norm in that the book came after the movie...

'The Sting' - Robert Weverka (1974)

Adapted from the movie of the same name that was released in 1973

Movie - fabulous
Book - So-so
0 Replies