Scherzo Poetry Form

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:23 pm
I understood the Scherzo to be a musical form. Used by Hayden, Mendelson, and Ravel just to name a few.

I have been looking for a poetry form version (I have seen scherzo poems). Some of these Poets just write more in a modern anything goes form (free form).

This is all I have been able to find on the poetry form, and musical form.

First information I found is: it's supposed to be humorous and uses an ABC form (this is not clear).

Second information I found is, as used by the composers it was a Quatrain, and second and fourth lines are repeated.

Does anyone have more information on the Scherzo as a poetry form?

Or more information on the musical form might help me to put something together.

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,943 • Replies: 7
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:35 pm
I found more information.

This was a poem built on an aabccb verse pattern, with a double system stanza of repeating groups of 8 + 4 + 8 syllable per lines. A relatively short poem compared to the "capitoli" of the time, which were eleven-syllable meter with a 3-verse pose and could become quite lengthy.

If anyone has more information please share it.

Thank you
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:25 pm
Free Form
I'm posting this in case anybody wants to try the free form style of the Scherzo. I like the the classical form so thats what I will work with.

scherzo Composition in ABA form, usually in triple meter; replaced the minuet
... symphonic poem One-movement orchestral form that develops a poetic idea, ...from glossary def.

Here is a sample of Scherzo that I found in Google search...It appears to be freestyle

Claude Debussy (1862-1918)
Prelude to The Afternoon of a Faun
Debussy composed this work in 1892-94, and its premiere was in Paris in December 1894. The Madison Symphony Orchestra has performed it on seven previous concerts between 1939 and 1989. Duration 18:00.

"Those nymphs, I want to make them permanent.
So clear, their light flesh-pink, it hovers on the atmosphere
Opressed by bushy sleeps.
Was it a dream I loved?
My doubt, accumulated through the night past, branches out
To many a fine point--no more in fact than twigs--
Proving, alas! that what I'd claimed for my trophy by myself
Was only my imagination's lack of roses.
Let's think..."
- Mallarme, The Afternoon of a Faun (transl. W. Austin)
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:23 am
Thanks for this AngeliqueEast. I had never heard of Scherzo, but then I'm new to poetry. I like the style. It has a quirky dignity.

Peace,
Endy
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:33 am
Your very welcome Endymion. Too bad they don't have a challenge section here, I'm sure many would enjoy it.

You would be surprised how many poets actually wrote poetry using musical forms.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:38 am
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:40 am
Music is very important to me. I play bass guitar and try writing a few lyrics - but I can't sing for sh*t.

I've never thought of writing poetry using music as a guide. Do you know Linton Kwesi Johnson's 'Bass Culture?'
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 03:45 am
No I don't Endy.
0 Replies