RIP William Hurt, 71...

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2022 03:32 pm
Quote:
William Hurt, Oscar-Winning actor for ‘Kiss of the Spider Woman,’ dies at 71

William Hurt, an acclaimed actor best known for his Oscar-winning performance in 1985’s “Kiss of the Spider Woman”
and his work in “The Big Chill” and “Body Heat,” died Sunday of natural causes. He was 71 years old. Hurt’s death was
confirmed to Variety by his friend, Gerry Byrne.

Hurt was nominated for four Oscars over the course of his long career, scoring two best actor nominations for “Broadcast
News” and “Children of a Lesser God” and a supporting actor nod for less than 10 minutes of screen time in “A History of
Violence.” He was one of the most heralded performers of the 1980s, becoming something of a cerebral sex symbol and a
reluctant, albeit bankable, movie star. Hurt later transitioned into character roles in the 1990s and successfully alternated
between big screen projects and television roles, such as his Emmy nominated turn as a whistleblower in “Damages.”

https://iili.io/EP31EJ.jpg
(variety)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,865 • Replies: 10

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2022 03:47 pm
Quote:
William Hurt’s son, Will, posted today that his father has died. It was announced in
May 2018 that the elder Hurt had terminal prostate cancer that had spread to the bone.
(deadline)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2022 04:20 pm
RIP
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2022 04:57 pm
He wasn’t a favorite actor, but I thought he was perfectly cast and pitched in Anne Tyler’s Accidental Tourist.

He had gifts that I really appreciated.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2022 07:23 am
His character in the series "Condor" on EPIX was his last role I believe. He was excellent. I think he became ill during the second season. R.I.P.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2022 06:44 pm
Loved him in Elephant Man…and Children of a Lesser God, as the teacher of deaf woman at Galaudette College. Oh yes, Kiss of the Spider Woman.
snood

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2022 12:36 pm
I almost got into it (ended up not responding)with someone on twitter who was saying that we shouldn't eulogize William Hurt's passing without mentioning that he (allegedly) sexually assaulted and harassed women (Marlee Matlin was named). I wanted to ask them if they want the absolute worst things they ever said or did brought up in their eulogy.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2022 10:55 am
@Ragman,
Oops.my error. As for credit for Elephant Man, John Hurt played Merrick. No relationship to William Hurt.

On a different topic, I’m not recalling what the two-year relationship and troubles were between Hurt and Matlan. They had lived together and was accused of being physically abusive.
Lash

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2022 11:51 am
@Ragman,
He admitted it, said Matlin and he had talked about it, and he apologized. Matlin had kind words for him. I guess raped and abused women can have their opinions about it and the public is going to have theirs.
Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2022 04:17 pm
@Lash,
Pardon my nitpicking:

As far as I know he didn’t rape her. He was accused of being physically abusive. Certainly, physically abusing someone and raping them are both horrid acts. Sadly, in her past before meeting Hurt, she had been raped. Anyhow, point is, he was not a poster boy, to say the least.
Lash

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2022 06:53 am
@Ragman,
I read an article recently wherein she recounted that he’d raped her after he’d come home drunk or under the influence of something. He admitted the incident and said they’d talked about it and he’d apologized.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » RIP William Hurt, 71...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 02:12:49