Banned Songs

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 08:47 am
Do you know any banned songs?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 09:42 am
@edgarblythe,
On Pointless the other day there was a question on banned songs on the BBC. They're not all banned for upsetting public decency like God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols.

That reached number one during the silver jubilee. It wasbanned on the BBC but still on general sale.

Walk Like An Egyptian was banned during the Gulf War because it may have upset people at the time.

Lola by the Kinks was also banned, not because of the subject matter but because it contained the line,

"Where they drink champagne and it tastes just like Coca-Cola. "

The BBC is not allowed to advertise so Ray Davis, who was in America at the time, flew back to rerecord the line so it said cherry cola.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 10:12 am
Locally banned ( when I lived in Corpus Christi) were Little Egypt by The Coasters, God Country and My Baby by Johnny Burnette, and one other I may recall later. Little Egypt because a letter writer complained in the newspaper editorials and G C and My Baby because it could inflame the desire for war.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 10:16 am
@edgarblythe,
Hawkwind's Urban Guerilla wasn't just banned it was withdrawn from sale after its release coincided with a load of IRA bombings.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 10:19 am
I think these guys fit here.

Milli Vanilli was a German-French R&B duo from Munich, Fab Morvan and Rob Pilatus, who were hired in 1988 by German producer, songwriter and singer Frank Farian to perform his songs in TV shows and live. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, Farian already had worldwide success with Boney M, a group of dancers that mainly lipsynched to recordings of Farian and studio performers, which became well known after some members demanded to sing by themselves and get credit for it.

Milli Vanilli's debut album, All or Nothing in Europe, reconfigured as Girl You Know It's True in the United States, achieved international success and brought them a Grammy Award for Best New Artist on 21 February 1990.[2]

They became one of the most popular pop acts in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with millions of records sold. However, their success turned to infamy when it was discovered that Morvan and Pilatus did not sing any of the vocals on their music releases. They ended up returning their Grammy Award for Best New Artist.[3][4][5] They recorded a comeback album in 1998 titled Back and in Attack, but its release was cancelled after Pilatus died at the age of 32.[6]

Wikipedia
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 11:43 am
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 11:47 am
@izzythepush,
It has the wonderful line,"So let's not talk about love and flowers and things that don't explode. "
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 01:57 pm
Don't know why I got an NSFW. I guess the word "Banned" was enough to trigger it.
0 Replies