Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 11:35 pm
I have a sun conure named Oscar. He can be a very sweet bird, but sometimes he is a little brat that bites and screams no matter what I try to do. He attacks anyone who is not my fiance' or myself and there are times when he will catch a mean streak and take a chunk out of even us. I was wondering if anyone knew a really good training book or guide? I have flipped through several and the authors seem to have a widely varying opinion on what is the best way to train these guys. We'd like to be able to train him to not scream so much (yes I know they will always screech sometimes but not for hours on end with no break in rhythm). I also heard that you can train them to only poop in designated areas. This would be much appreciated as I am not fond of the mass amounts of birdie bombs I am finding all over my brand new carpets. Oscar is a little over a year old and we have had him since he was just a few months. I think we have spoiled him to much, but am not sure how is the best way to correct his bad behavior. All help is appreciated and I hope to be able to post his pic soon as he really is an adorable little bunch of feathers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,943 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:06 am
aldistar, I also have a conure (dusky rather than sun) Fred, like all conures I know is a screamer but I find that a treat of fresh fruit (like a grape or a small chunk of mellon-he loves watermellon shuts his right up. Also Fred usually makes the most noise when he wants/needs something like fresh water or simply attention. From my experience Conures need lots of attention as they are very social birds. Best of luck with your screamer.
0 Replies

BreatheThePoison

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:24 am
I say youre best bet is to do a little research on how they behave amongst themselves. Any sort of social animal has acceptable and unacceptable behavior, and there is always a dominate animal to inforce rules, and they have quiet efficient ways of getting the point across.
birds like this are quite capable of learning voice commands. Take him out of the cage when he is NOT screaming, NEVER when he's throwing a tantrum... as soon as you can find him at a quiet time take him out of the cage and spend time with him, set him on your counter while youre working in the kitchen, on a towel on the sofa while youre watching tv, that sort of thing. If he starts into a screaming fit slap the area right in front of him and say "NO!". It should startle him right out of whatever behavior he's doing(but not knock him over, you want responce not birdy heart attack). After the second time, if he hasnt responded, put him back in his cage.

If you dont already, make sure you have a large dark fabric cover, something you can use to cover him at night. You can also use this cover for when he's in 'trouble' and screaming. Put him back in the cage and cover him until he quiets down. Once he does quiet down take him back out so you can end the play time on a good note, spend just enough time to say hello, then give him his favorite treat and put him back in the cage.

As long as youre consistant he'll figure out real quick what NO! means, and you'll have an easier time training your brat to be civil.

also, if he's a shoulder sitter, cut it out. Some naturally dominate birds associate sitting on shoulders as a place of leadership, this might be part of the problem.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:41 pm
I never knew that about sitting on the shoulder...that's his favorite spot in fact. I do use the "time out" system if he starts to throw a tantrum without any reason I kind find (ie needs food, water, etc.) and it does quiet him down for a while. He gets plenty of treats when he is good. He loves fresh fruit and things like banana chips-green seedless grapes are his favorite.

He is with me constantly when I am home and gets attention. It is just when I need to put him in his cage for something (like when I'm cooking or working on artwork) that he will just scream and scream. I cover him at night with a dark sheet and that puts him right to sleep, but in the morning or when I get home from running errands and he hears me moving around its non stop until I let him out. I've refused to give in a few times and he will literally go for hours.

I was just wondering if any one else had these problems. He does sometimes go a long time alone in his cage if me and the significant other both have long workdays outside of the home. I had contemplated getting a second conure to keep him company, but I'm not sure if this would help or just double my problem. He seems to be a very possessive bird and I'm not sure if he would welcome a companion at all. I have a parakeet as well who's cage is in the same room as his but I don't know if they have anything to do with each other.

I love the little guy, he can be extremely loving and sweet, it's just when he goes off on these tantrums of his nothing seems to help. He actually seems just as miserable as he makes me when it happens and I was hoping that some kind of training would benefit the both of us.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:51 pm
conures are weird and extremely loveable. I have had Fred for 5 years. I adapt and make the best that I can of his personality (he does the same for me)
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:44 am
Yes we have all certainly adapted for each other. Oscar is being an excellent little bird today so far. I still think that some of it is his age. He is only a year old and with a 20-25 year lifespan that is still a baby. I think as he matures and we all settle into our routines together things will calm down.

I'd still like to know how you train them to use only certain places to relieve themselves. That would be a godsend.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:46 am
Aldistar wrote:
Yes we have all certainly adapted for each other. Oscar is being an excellent little bird today so far. I still think that some of it is his age. He is only a year old and with a 20-25 year lifespan that is still a baby. I think as he matures and we all settle into our routines together things will calm down.

I'd still like to know how you train them to use only certain places to relieve themselves. That would be a godsend.

In my experience conures will develop "potty habits". I noticed Fred consistently going to one place to "relieve" himself so I started putting down newspapers under that particular spot, this was about 80% effective.
0 Replies