Numbers as sets

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 02:28 pm
Some writers define number as a set or multitude or plurality. ALL of these views suffer from the drawback that this concept of number will not cover the numbers 0 and 1. Moreover, these terms (sets, etc.) are utterly vague: sometimes they refer to 'heap' or 'group' or 'agglomeration' - referring to a juxtaposition in space, sometimes they are so used as to be practically equivalent to 'Number', only vaguer.

I conclude, that no analysis of the concept of Number is to be found in a definition of it as sets, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,394 • Replies: 55
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 02:36 pm
Re: Numbers as sets
John Jones wrote:
Some writers define number as a set or multitude or plurality. ALL of these views suffer from the drawback that this concept of number will not cover the numbers 0 and 1. Moreover, these terms (sets, etc.) are utterly vague: sometimes they refer to 'heap' or 'group' or 'agglomeration' - referring to a juxtaposition in space, sometimes they are so used as to be practically equivalent to 'Number', only vaguer.

I conclude, that no analysis of the concept of Number is to be found in a definition of it as sets, etc.

Please cite one source that defines number like this.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 02:51 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

No discussion again?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 03:03 pm
Well, it would be helpful to know what exactly you're speaking of. Are you talking about set theory?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 03:17 pm
Never took algebra, huih? In the algebras a first principal is that all numbers are either prime, composite of primes, units or zero.

Rap
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 03:18 pm
John Jones,

I don't get where you are coming from.

Every post I have seen from you here is pretty much the same idea-- trying to find contradictions in mathematics based on what appear to be your own misconceptions.

There is something intrinsically true and universal about mathematics.

Wildly diverse cultures with no interaction all independently came up with ways to represent the positive integers and perform addition and subtraction. Surprisingly several of them (independently) mastered multiplication and even recognized prime numbers.

Numbers are unique linguistically.

Most words don't translate directly from one language to another-- "amor" doesn't convey the exact same meaning as "love" and there are nuances and feelings expressed by words in one language that are impossible to translate to another.

But numbers are different. The word "five" has the exact same meaning as "khamsa" or "go" or "cinco". All cultures from the ancience Maya, to the Egyptians to Indian to the ancient Greeks and Romans all developed ways to express and manipulate numbers.

We have developed many different ways to represent numbers, but the same intrinsic meaning (i.e. a value) can be reprsented and understood in each-- and (surprise) 2+3 = 5 in each one of them.

The set of integers can be developed simply by defining the operation of counting. Counting is a basic operation that again was independently develop by nearly every culture.

This set of instructions is understood and familiar to every intelligent society...

1. Start at 1.
2. Add 1.
3. Repeat step 2 untill adding one is not possible.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 03:23 pm
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

No discussion again?

I do not understand your objection to citing sources. Doing so is basic to a forum like this one, and also basic to any scholarly work.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 03:31 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

No discussion again?

I do not understand your objection to citing sources. Doing so is basic to a forum like this one, and also basic to any scholarly work.

How does a source affect the sense?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 03:35 pm
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

No discussion again?

Anyone who claims sources, then refuses to cite one is hiding something. The idea that someone who claims he is referring to prior work must be willing to cite it is a universal standard of academic discussions.

The fact is that you are opining on a subject that you know nothing about whatever. No, your opinions are not as good as those of people who have spent years learning the field. Most of your posts that purport to be about science are gibberish.

If you lack the discipline to first acquaint yourself with what has already been worked out in the field over thousands of years, then please spare us your ignorant musings. It's really offensive to most of us who have spent years and years studying these things.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 12:34 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

No discussion again?

Anyone who claims sources, then refuses to cite one is hiding something. The idea that someone who claims he is referring to prior work must be willing to cite it is a universal standard of academic discussions.

The fact is that you are opining on a subject that you know nothing about whatever. No, your opinions are not as good as those of people who have spent years learning the field. Most of your posts that purport to be about science are gibberish.

If you lack the discipline to first acquaint yourself with what has already been worked out in the field over thousands of years, then please spare us your ignorant musings. It's really offensive to most of us who have spent years and years studying these things.

Its not going to make any difference, and I wonder why you have not come across it before, but the source was a direct quote from Gottlob Frege's Foundations of Arithmetic, study no.28 'the set theory of number'.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 02:24 pm
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

No discussion again?

Its not going to make any difference, and I wonder why you have not come across it before, but the source was a direct quote from Gottlob Frege's Foundations of Arithmetic, study no.28 'the set theory of number'.

Thank you. Would you mind giving me the exact quotation where he defines a number as a set or multitude or plurality.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:24 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

No discussion again?

Thank you. Would you mind giving me the exact quotation where he defines a number as a set or multitude or plurality.

I gave you the exact quotation and the reference. The words I wrote were Gottlob's words. The point is, if I had wrote it you wouldn't be interested. What's gone wrong in mathematics? You have lost track of your roots, which lie in philosophy. Now you no longer want to even listen to philosophy.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:43 pm
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

No discussion again?

I gave you the exact quotation and the reference. The words I wrote were Gottlob's words. The point is, if I had wrote it you wouldn't be interested. What's gone wrong in mathematics? You have lost track of your roots, which lie in philosophy. Now you no longer want to even listen to philosophy.

My personal characteristics are not pertinent to the discussion of mathematics. Furthermore, I disagree with you totally. Mathematics is not philosophy.

I'm very sorry, but I don't see his quotation. I see the reference, but not exactly what he said. Could you please point out the quotation from the book.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:44 pm
It is also customary to cite your sources if you're going to state their ideas.

I honestly don't see what the confusion is. 0 is absence is the absence of that about which you are concerned. 1 is the thing or idea of unity (the unity makes it one idea or thing). Anything over that is ebrown said: multiple 1's.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:56 pm
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

No discussion again?

My first post was what Gottlob said, verbatim. They are his words. You have read them yourself . And Good god man, arithmetic is founded on the philosophy and its practices. Thats what I meant by you had left your roots
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 04:00 pm
John Jones wrote:

These are Frege's words? Frege concluded that no analysis of the concept of Number is to be found in a definition of it as sets? If so, you ought to have attributed the quote to him.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 04:19 pm
John Jones wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

No discussion again?

My first post was what Gottlob said, verbatim. They are his words. You have read them yourself . And Good god man, arithmetic is founded on the philosophy and its practices. Thats what I meant by you had left your roots

May I ask what your qualifications are to make this judgement? Do you by any chance have a degree in Math or a related field? Since I am asking you what qualifies you to have an opinion, I ought to tell you what qualifies me. I have a BS and MS in Physics. What are your qualifications? Or are you, by any chance, an utterly ignorant person talking about things he doesn't begin to comprehend?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 04:22 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

No discussion again?

May I ask what your qualifications are to make this judgement? Do you by any chance have a degree in Math or a related field? Since I am asking you what qualifies you to have an opinion, I ought to tell you what qualifies me. I have a BS and MS in Physics. What are your qualifications? Or are you, by any chance, an utterly ignorant person talking about things he doesn't begin to comprehend?

Could we just cut out this silly nested boxes crap?

Thanks.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 04:37 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

Could we just cut out this silly nested boxes crap?

Thanks.

You caught me being lazy. Sorry.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 12:36 am
In some fundamental areas of mathematics, you should talk solely about sets but not about other subjects, otherwise you will be muddling everything in the sea of paradoxes.
0 Replies