My wife strikes again!

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 09:49 am
My wife is one of those who feels that she has all her stuff together and that everyone else needs to listen to her and follow her lead. We've had a number of conversations / arguments because she feels she's right on everything. Well, here's the latest. And again, yes, just venting. For years my wife and I have been renting a home and we have finally decided to purchase a home. We are in the process of working with an agency that will help us get on the path of home ownership. Friday night we were sitting in our living room watching TV when there was a knock on the door. It was late and neither of us were expecting anyone so I went and looked out the peep hole. I saw who it was and informed my wife that it was a county sheriff. I saw his uniform through the peep hole. My thinking was that it was for one of our boys. The youngest one who use to live here with us recently totaled his car. His gf was driving and it appears that she went through the stop light and hit another car head on. So much of an impact that the car burst into flames. Well, when we got to the scene the first thing he said to us was, "do you know how much weed I have on me?" I looked at him and told him to shut up because there were cops all over the place. This wasn't just a few joints or a few blunts. This was the actual buds. and I do mean a lot. He throws his book bag in my truck and we took him to the hospital. My SUV smelled like weed for several days until it finally aired out. They had already taken the gf in an ambulance.

So, I assumed the sheriff was there for that reason. No, when I opened the door he asked me if (insert name) lived here. He asked for my wife. I looked back at her and said "yes, honey he wants you." She comes to the door and he hands her this thick packet of papers and told her she has 30 days to respond. We close the door and once she looked at it she tells me that she is being sued by Navy Federal Financial or something like that because 3 years ago she took out a credit card, unbeknownst to me, and as of today the balance on the card was well over $14k and they wanted their money. I looked at her in shock. I asked her when did she get a credit card and what did she spend it on? Then she gets all indignant saying stuff like "well, you used it too." No, I didn't. How could I use a card that I didn't even know existed. She stated that she used it on household bills and dinners out and stuff like that. Ok, if it's your night to pay for a meal I'm not looking what card you pull out of your wallet so you can't say I used it too. I then told her that all our bills put together don't equal $14k. Then she says that she did spend some on clothes and shoes and stuff like that. My wife doesn't have full length furs in the closet neither does she have LV purses or red bottom shoes in the closet so I can't see what clothes she was buying. When I looked at the paperwork they did include some payment information and all she had been paying was $25 every so often. What is $25 going to do on a statement that is well over $10k?

And here's the kicker, several years ago she found out that I had a credit card with a limit of $300 on it and she hit the roof. You would have thought she walked in on me in bed with another woman. I applied for the card just to see if I would be approved. I was and with a limit of only $300 I wasn't in that dire of a need to even use it. But here we have a situation where she owes over $14k but now she wants to partially blame me for using it too. No, you putting our power bill or water bill payment on the credit card is not the same as me using it. I told her that this is going to greatly affect us getting a house anytime soon and that she needed to get copies of those statements because I wanted to see what she charged on them. She then told me that sometimes she would just go get cash to keep in her pocket. I thought everyone knew that taking out cash off a credit card was worse that actually using the card to make a purchase. She always seemed to have money for this or for that. I wouldn't doubt if we get those statements that she wasn't paying some of her son's bills on the card. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right. She beat me over the coals over a $300 credit card but now she's in debt for well over $14,000 and I'm just supposed to be the loving supportive husband and help her pay this off. Yeah, we were married at the time she took out the card so that makes it my bill too, I guess.

Mame

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 10:26 am
That sounds very irresponsible and I don't blame you for being upset. That's not fair to you. She needs a good, long time-out. Or she may have to get a second job just to pay that off. I wouldn't help her out.

One of my friends took a trip to NYC and when she got home she discovered her partner had gambled away $40,000 on his credit card. Boy, was she steamed! What an ass.
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 11:18 am
@Mame,
LMAO!

I cannot believe you fall for his bullshit stories each and every time!

Any one with a credit/collections background know all of this is sheer lies.

But you do you...
jespah

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 11:20 am
@Barry2021,
Your wife does not seem to understand how credit works. It's possible that she also has no idea how compounding works. I work in business credit, and it relates rather directly to personal.

Calmly (and yes, I do mean that. Getting steamed—no matter how much you want to—and I do understand that—is not going to help anything), explain that taking $ out of a credit card means it's a loan and interest is charged. It's different from taking it out via an ATM, even if you go outside your bank's network and are charged a fee.

Pull out the statements and the bills and look at them together. Show her (again, calmly) that her (for example) $20 from the card has cost $34 because of interest. Again, calmly, show her the interest rate she's paying. You don't have to go into the weeds. That will not help. Rather, (again an example) show her:

you(maybe) wrote:
A charge of $100 garners 15% in interest. At the end of the year, that sounds like just $15, right? But it's actually more, due to compounding. Every month, the credit card issuer charges interest on the balance. This $100 balance is charged 1/12 of $15 (that's because it's for a month), which is $1.25. But then next month, if the $100 balance is carried over, now the credit card issuer charges 1/12 of $16.25 as interest. That's a little over an extra 14 cents. Still doesn't sound bad, right?

This happens for every single dollar in the balance. For a $1,000 balance, that 15% starts off as $12.50. Then in the second month, it's $13.54. That's added together. So for a $1,000 balance kept for just two months, the interest compounds to over $25. For a $5,000 balance kept for just one month, the interest compounds to over $60, which is right around the cost of an evening meal out.

And that's for only a month. Since we're talking about three years and $14,000, the numbers are obviously going to be higher. Every time a credit card company provides a "minimum amount to pay", they're not doing the debtor any favors. Most of the time, if it hits whatever their rock bottom minimum is, this amount doesn't even cover the cost of the compounding interest. All it does is dig a person deeper into the hole.
Please note that I have been careful to not use the word you in this example.

This is because accusing and yelling won't fix anything.

And why am I suggesting this at all? Because, as you rightfully stated, you're on the hook for this. If she does not learn, then you could be dragged into bankruptcy eventually.

A financial literacy class would be a really good idea right about now.

Credit is not play money. A bad credit rating will dog a person forever if they don't fix it. Bad FICO scores mean not getting loans, or at least not getting good loans with good interest rates and longer payment terms.

Leaving her out there to slowly twist in the wind will do you no favors.
Barry2021

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 11:35 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

That sounds very irresponsible and I don't blame you for being upset. That's not fair to you. She needs a good, long time-out. Or she may have to get a second job just to pay that off. I wouldn't help her out.

One of my friends took a trip to NYC and when she got home she discovered her partner had gambled away $40,000 on his credit card. Boy, was she steamed! What an ass.

I mean she gets on me about staying out later than I should or taking too long to go to the store but the minute she spends or owes $14k+ then I need to put my arm around her and say, "we'll figure something out." NO! You need to be cursed out if you ask me. That is now putting our possible new home in jeopardy and this could set us back a number of years paying that off.
0 Replies

Barry2021

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 11:37 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

LMAO!

I cannot believe you fall for his bullshit stories each and every time!

Any one with a credit/collections background know all of this is sheer lies.

But you do you...

Please explain what you mean. Fall for what? If I didn't you had a credit card how is this my fault? And also what do you mean about this being sheer lies?
Barry2021

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 11:41 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Your wife does not seem to understand how credit works. It's possible that she also has no idea how compounding works. I work in business credit, and it relates rather directly to personal.

Calmly (and yes, I do mean that. Getting steamed—no matter how much you want to—and I do understand that—is not going to help anything), explain that taking $ out of a credit card means it's a loan and interest is charged. It's different from taking it out via an ATM, even if you go outside your bank's network and are charged a fee.

Pull out the statements and the bills and look at them together. Show her (again, calmly) that her (for example) $20 from the card has cost $34 because of interest. Again, calmly, show her the interest rate she's paying. You don't have to go into the weeds. That will not help. Rather, (again an example) show her:

you(maybe) wrote:
A charge of $100 garners 15% in interest. At the end of the year, that sounds like just $15, right? But it's actually more, due to compounding. Every month, the credit card issuer charges interest on the balance. This $100 balance is charged 1/12 of $15 (that's because it's for a month), which is $1.25. But then next month, if the $100 balance is carried over, now the credit card issuer charges 1/12 of $16.25 as interest. That's a little over an extra 14 cents. Still doesn't sound bad, right?

This happens for every single dollar in the balance. For a $1,000 balance, that 15% starts off as $12.50. Then in the second month, it's $13.54. That's added together. So for a $1,000 balance kept for just two months, the interest compounds to over $25. For a $5,000 balance kept for just one month, the interest compounds to over $60, which is right around the cost of an evening meal out.

And that's for only a month. Since we're talking about three years and $14,000, the numbers are obviously going to be higher. Every time a credit card company provides a "minimum amount to pay", they're not doing the debtor any favors. Most of the time, if it hits whatever their rock bottom minimum is, this amount doesn't even cover the cost of the compounding interest. All it does is dig a person deeper into the hole.
Please note that I have been careful to not use the word you in this example.

This is because accusing and yelling won't fix anything.

And why am I suggesting this at all? Because, as you rightfully stated, you're on the hook for this. If she does not learn, then you could be dragged into bankruptcy eventually.

A financial literacy class would be a really good idea right about now.

Credit is not play money. A bad credit rating will dog a person forever if they don't fix it. Bad FICO scores mean not getting loans, or at least not getting good loans with good interest rates and longer payment terms.

Leaving her out there to slowly twist in the wind will do you no favors.

The thing is this. I've asked for the statements and she doesn't have them. "I never got a statement" according to her. That's total BS. She probably had it set for paperless billing which means an actual statement never came to the house so I would never see the bill. But she was getting emails if not phone calls from the C.C. people about her bill. "If I don't answer the phone or check that particular email maybe everything will go away." It doesn't work like that. She says she doesn't have access to log in to see those statements anymore. Oh, I'm sure if she called them and said she was going to start making payments and she needed back into her account they would graciously restore her access. I just want to see what $14k was spent on.

No, accusing and yelling may not fix anything immediately but I get some satisfaction to know that I've been heard. And trust me, I yelled quite a bit that night. There was nothing she could do but sit there and take it. Oh sure, we can be nice about it and say "let's sit down and figure this out" but that usually comes after the cursing and screaming. Trust me!
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 11:44 am
@Barry2021,
You said, "We are in the process of working with an agency that will help us get on the path of home ownership." Ok, the first thing they would have done is pull a credit report from the three main credit bureaus. They would have informed you of it and given you a paper copy of it. That's FEDERAL LAW, not a recommendation.

So you lied.

Then you say a sheriff came as a civil processor. That's a lie. Credit card companies sue for Summary judgements, not personal service.

So you lied. Again.

I could go on, watching you twist and turn a story that's obviously made up, but, what's the fun it that?
jespah

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 11:51 am
@neptuneblue,
Not necessarily. People love to hide stuff like this.
0 Replies

Barry2021

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 12:10 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

You said, "We are in the process of working with an agency that will help us get on the path of home ownership." Ok, the first thing they would have done is pull a credit report from the three main credit bureaus. They would have informed you of it and given you a paper copy of it. That's FEDERAL LAW, not a recommendation.

So you lied.

Then you say a sheriff came as a civil processor. That's a lie. Credit card companies sue for Summary judgements, not personal service.

So you lied. Again.

I could go on, watching you twist and turn a story that's obviously made up, but, what's the fun it that?

No, I did say "in the process". I didn't say we were fully into the program so I didn't lie. No credit report has been pulled yet. We have to get a few documents and things in order first.
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 12:30 pm
@Barry2021,
LMAO, there's the twisting again!

So, you're saying this "agency" broke the Fair Debt Collections Practice Act?

LMAO.

No, You lie.
Barry2021

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 01:17 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

LMAO, there's the twisting again!

So, you're saying this "agency" broke the Fair Debt Collections Practice Act?

LMAO.

No, You lie.

Again, when I say we are in the process we have sat through a 4 hour zoom presentation with the NACA division in our city. Again, this is the very initial stages. They laid out what they can do and what we need to start. We've not given them any info yet to pull any financials so stop assuming we're meeting with banks over mortgages or lending institutions to see what we can afford.
Ragman

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 01:44 pm
Over time you have posted a hell of a lot of history of marital and family differences and difficulties. Personally, I would think the most productive way to resolve these difficulties and differences is with a counselor not with airing these on a social media site. Your poor communication between you and your wife as well as other family members is quite appalling.
Barry2021

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 01:48 pm
Well, my wife just came into the bedroom and gave me this information. She just got off the phone with the C.C. company's attorney and they have worked out this payment arrangement. She will have to pay almost $300 each month for the next 5 years in order to satisfy the debt. And on top of that they have tacked on the attorney's fees which now pushes the balance to well over $16k. This could have all been avoided had (A) she never got the card, (B) when it started to get out of hand speak up, and (C) never avoided it in the first place. When I asked about getting copies of the statement then she got all feisty saying "I can't get those anymore, they've already closed the account!" But then asked me if I was going to help her with the payments. How many of us can afford to find an additional $300 a month for the next 5 years when we didn't have to? That's like taking on a new car note. My wife loves to say "what's done in the dark. . . . " thinking I may be up to something. But on the contrary, there's a big light shining on her mess right now. I guess she thought this would never see the light of day and that the credit card company would just write this off.
Mame

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 01:57 pm
@Barry2021,
Well, that's $18,000 without the attorney fees. I hope whatever she bought or whoever she helped was worth it. Guess she'll be getting another job.
Barry2021

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 02:00 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Over time you have posted a hell of a lot of history of marital and family differences and difficulties. Personally, I would think the most productive way to resolve these difficulties and differences is with a counselor not with airing these on a social media site. Your poor communication between you and your wife as well as other family members is quite appalling.

And Ragman, given your advice that would mean that every forum, message board, advice column, or blog needs to be shut down and everyone should just go to counseling. Trust me, we've done the counseling, countless times, and she makes everything seem like it's my fault with why this marriage is the way it is. I should just do as she says and we'd never have any problems.
I'm not a difficult person to get along with but I do have common sense in a lot of things. I myself have a master's degree in counseling but the last thing I'm going to do is sit down and diagnose my wife. That would not go well. I come here like a lot of people just to vent and get things off our chests and to get different perspectives on certain situations. Yes, I'm wrong sometimes but in this situation I'm not. Had she never tried to hide this bill we wouldn't be in the shape we're in. No, I know none of you can give me that one piece of advice to fix all my problems but like with counseling it helps to just talk about things to total strangers.
Barry2021

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 02:05 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Well, that's $18,000 without the attorney fees. I hope whatever she bought or whoever she helped was worth it. Guess she'll be getting another job.

And that's the thing. There's nothing around here to even show what she bought. She doesn't have a closet full of clothes or shoes or even an expensive purse or anything. I just don't know what she spent it on and she's just not telling me. All I know is that we're (she's) now on the hook for some $16,000+ over the next 5 years.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 02:41 pm
@Barry2021,
That’s an absurd exaggeration. You seem mighty thin skinned.

You have mentioned in the past having had counseling. You now mentioned you have a Master’s Degree in Counseling? Seriously?!
Liar, liar, pants on fire!

I noticed when’re you get pushback, you get very ruffled. Why not just accept the online advice you seek out.
engineer

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 02:42 pm
@Barry2021,
You should be able to go to the bank website and pull up statements for the last 12 to 18 months. If your wife does not think she spent this kind of money, she might have been the victim of fraud.
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2022 02:43 pm
@Barry2021,
That's a lie.

Credit counseling services will make you sign BEFORE ANY PRESENTATION. Again, FEDERAL L-A-W.

You lie so much even you can't keep track.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My wife strikes again!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 04:01:06