Science creation myths

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 02:11 pm
I will describe three of the most important creation myths of science concerning the creation of 'mind'. The concept of matter as 'bladder', with an inside and a material outside is common to them all. Inside these material bladders, according to claims, are found the important things in life, like 'I' and 'mind'.

1. One creation myth of science says that 'I' and 'mind' and similar things are created by these bladders and reside inside the bladder, but that anything found inside these bladders has no effect on the bladders themselves. The people who say this claim that anything found inside the bladder 'emerges' from, or is an emergent property of, actions and disturbances created by the 'material' bladder.

2. Another creation myth is known as 'eliminativim'. This claims that there is nothing inside these bladders, but that what we claim is inside the bladders, like mind and emotions, are terms of reference for the bladders themselves. Indeed, by eliminating the inside, we are then led to conclude that matter is not composed of external points: we might say that eliminatavism defeats itself, for it presents neither extension nor mind.

3. Another creation myth claims that the bladders create things inside themselves, like mind and emotions, but that these emotions can also affect the bladders themselves. For example, they might say 'emotions help the evolution of the brain'. This is not strictly a materialist doctrine as it posits mind affecting matter.

I Conclude that there are at least three creation myths of science and that each is incompatible with the others.

(c) John Jones
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 921 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 02:27 pm
Re: Science creation myths
John Jones wrote:
I will describe three of the most important creation myths of science concerning the creation of 'mind'. The concept of matter as 'bladder', with an inside and a material outside is common to them all. Inside these material bladders, according to claims, are found the important things in life, like 'I' and 'mind'.

1. One creation myth of science says that 'I' and 'mind' and similar things are created by these bladders and reside inside the bladder, but that anything found inside these bladders has no effect on the bladders themselves. The people who say this claim that anything found inside the bladder 'emerges' from, or is an emergent property of, actions and disturbances created by the 'material' bladder.

2. Another creation myth is known as 'eliminativim'. This claims that there is nothing inside these bladders, but that what we claim is inside the bladders, like mind and emotions, are terms of reference for the bladders themselves. Indeed, by eliminating the inside, we are then led to conclude that matter is not composed of external points: we might say that eliminatavism defeats itself, for it presents neither extension nor mind.

3. Another creation myth claims that the bladders create things inside themselves, like mind and emotions, but that these emotions can also affect the bladders themselves. For example, they might say 'emotions help the evolution of the brain'. This is not strictly a materialist doctrine as it posits mind affecting matter.

I Conclude that there are at least three creation myths of science and that each is incompatible with the others.

(c) John Jones

Oh, you can talk more plainly than this, can't you? Why not just say exactly what you mean? I conclude that you are afraid to, which is an odd quality in someone who is right.

If you are referring to the scientific belief that the brain is a machine, and the mind is a consequence of it, I'd say it's pretty much self-evident to everyone except a few religious nuts who are philosophically unable acccept the obvious. As for myself, I'll take science over superstition any day.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 02:59 pm
He's put the exact same drivel in the Philosophy forum. I think he fancies himself a guerilla fighter in the army of god . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 03:09 pm
Damn good thing he's taken the care to copyright...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 04:07 pm
I have read 2 of JJ's threads and have reached theconclusion that one of 2 separate , yet not necessarily competing activities is occuring

1 JJ is having an anal /cranial inversion OR

2 Hes a Night watchman at the Mutter Museum and has been sniffing the formalin too long
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 04:13 pm
My bladder needs emptying. See ya . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 04:16 pm
hey edgar, this thread is here for ya.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 04:32 pm
Mebbe you could interest Frank or Bear.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 07:44 pm
The universe is the back of a giant sea turtle.

And I have proof. The Vogon's told me so.

Rap
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 05:33 am
I wonder where this thread will go, what is its ARC? Im sitting here with my mug of coffee imagining the twists and turns.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:22 am
farmerman--somehow I see it eventually eating it's own tail (or in the case of a thread---'tale').

Rap
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 11:30 am
He went and started another one . I guess he wants only positive reinforcement .
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 11:53 am
I am curious as to what science journal has the article that states matter is "bladder".

Without knowing where "science" made this claim I can't judge any of the comments that follow.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:14 pm
parados wrote:
I am curious as to what science journal has the article that states matter is "bladder".

Without knowing where "science" made this claim I can't judge any of the comments that follow.

As far as I am aware the claim is made either in the Dennis the Menace Bumper Annual 2005, or the Lampeter Mathematical Parochial Gazette Monthly.

So I would be interested to know the two different judgements you claim you would come to if both these cases were true.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 08:54 pm
John Jones wrote:
parados wrote:

As far as I am aware the claim is made either in the Dennis the Menace Bumper Annual 2005, or the Lampeter Mathematical Parochial Gazette Monthly.

So I would be interested to know the two different judgements you claim you would come to if both these cases were true.

So you are disagreeing with the Lampeter Mathematic Parochial Gazette since that is where you claim the science was published?

Or are you agreeing with them and don't have a cite for the actual science?
0 Replies