1

Stop Telling Me What Great Things Merrick Garland is Doing Behind the Scenes

Real Music

0  
Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2022 11:47 pm
Rachel Maddow looks at the growing collection of reporting on the Trump
campaign's effort to find a way to seize the voting machines in swing states
Donald Trump lost in his 2020 election defeat, and how that effort was
understood at the local level with the need for a direct order from Trump.

Published: February 4, 2022

Real Music

0  
Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2022 12:40 am
@snood,
When this is all over; when all the investigations are done and everyone who is going to be prosecuted has been prosecuted…

I sincerely hope that it’s you pointing at pictures of Trump and some other government figures being put in jail, and saying “See, I told you they were going down.”
And that it’s not me, pointing at Trump and the others campaigning and carrying on with their lives, and saying, “See, I told you that no one was going to do anything to them.”

This is one difference of opinion about which I really want to be proved wrong. Absolutely 100% wrong.

1. I'm not going to pretend like I know how this is all going to turn out, because I honestly don't know.

2. I do hear everything that you are saying, loud and clear.

snood

2  
Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2022 09:21 pm
Just kind of checking in to see if the last few months of activity (or inactivity, depending on your perspective) have affected anyone’s views on what is going to ultimately come of all the talk about indicting Trump and/or the other people who had something to do with the lead-up and carrying out of 1/6.

Every day that passes makes me a little more sure that by the time the midterms get here, everyone will be acting like they don’t even remember who Letisha James or Merrick Garland were.

And just a little more sure that we as a country are just going to swallow the bitter reality pill of being shown that some people are above the law. Swallow it and then try to act like that’s not what happened.

I still hope I’m wrong, but..

Real Music

2  
Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 02:27 am
Rachel Maddow points out the level of difficulty in convicting someone on seditious conspiracy
charges, making it all the more remarkable that the Department of Justice has filed sedition
charges twice in the past six months - first against the Oath Keepers, and today against five
members of the Proud Boys.

Published June 6, 2022

snood

1  
Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 03:27 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

…charges twice in the past six months - first against the Oath Keepers, and today against five
members of the Proud Boys.

Enjoy those indictments. It’s as high up the crooked food chain as Merrick Garland is going to venture.
Real Music

1  
Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 12:40 pm
@snood,

1. I don't know how high up the chain the DOJ will pursue.
2. And I won't pretend to know.
3. But, it is still a good thing that the DOJ has indicted those that they have indicted.
4. It is also a good a good thing that the DOJ has prosecuted those that they have prosecuted.
snood

1  
Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 01:17 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

2. And I won't pretend to know.

Yeah, those prosecutions are good. Glad the DOJ pursued them. And no, we can’t know who else will be prosecuted until enough time passes that it’s just too late.

We do know that the DOJ charged Bannon with contempt and done nothing else. Bannon is doing boastful podcasts everyday, taunting the justice system as “the dog that doesn’t bark”. They indicted Navarro, sure, but now we have to wait on a trial that probably won’t start until after Bannon. And we do know that the DOJ just announced that they’re passing on indicting the two former Trump advisors Scavino and Meadows.

And we know that no matter who they finally charge and bring to trial, these cases take time, and time is running out. If they have done nothing to the big targets by the time the midterms get here IN FOUR MONTHS, it will damn sure be too late. Do you at least agree to that?
Real Music

1  
Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 02:01 pm
@snood,

1. Why do you say that it would be too late after the midterm in four months?

2. Yes, this upcoming midterm election is extremely important for all sorts of reasons.

3. Let me re-emphasize that this upcoming mid-term election is extremely important
for all sorts of reasons.

4. Joe Biden and Merrick Garland will be in office for at least another 2 years.

5. And hopefully the Biden administration will be re-elected for another four years
after those 2 years.
snood

1  
Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 02:41 pm
@Real Music,
Dude, do you REALLY believe the momentum and interest in bringing insurrectionists to justice will survive the relentless politicization of EVERYTHING that will occur at election time? We BARELY can conjur the Will of lawmakers as it is. Do you really think they can split their attention between getting re-elected, with all the attendant pandering, glad-handing and
fundraising, and getting meaningful convictions against an ex-president and his co-conspirators?

What possible precedent can you refer to that would give you that level of belief in the people who occupy DC?
Real Music

1  
Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 02:56 pm
@snood,
1. The DOJ and Congress are two separate entities.

2. Congress can refer potential crimes to the DOJ.

3. The DOJ are the ones with the actual authority to indict and prosecute.

4. And the DOJ don't require any referral or permission from Congress to investigate, indict, or prosecute.

5. Hopefully, the democrats will keep the House and the Senate this upcoming midterm.

6. Even, if the republicans were to win the House or the Senate in the midterm,
they don't have the authority to order the DOJ to stop their investigations, indictments,
and prosecutions.

7. Do you think a republican congress have the authority to order Merrick Garland and DOJ
to stop pursuing their investigations, indictments, and prosecutions?
snood

1  
Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 03:10 pm
@Real Music,
Let’s leave it at this: You think there will be some legal accountability brought to Trump and the other planners and conspirators who have operated with impunity trying to overthrow our government.

I don’t.
Real Music

1  
Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 04:56 pm
@snood,
1. The honest answer is, I don't know if some legal accountability will be brought to Trump.
Possibly. Maybe, Maybe not.

2. Let me be clear. I personally believe that there is more than enough evidence to indict Trump
on a number of things.

3. I'm just not sure if Trump will be indicted.
Maybe he will. Maybe he won't.

4. I do believe that some of those planners and conspirators will be held to some type
of legal accountability.

Region Philbis

2  
Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2022 05:32 pm

https://iili.io/hc5h6x.jpg

1  
Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 06:52 am
I don't know a huge amount about this, but it looks like the Guardian agrees with Snood.

Members of the House committee investigating Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn his 2020 election defeat called on Sunday for the US justice department to consider a criminal indictment for the former president and warned that “the danger is still out there”.

Their comments on the eve of the second of the panel’s televised hearings into the January 6 2021 insurrection and deadly Capitol attack will add further pressure on the attorney general, Merrick Garland, who has angered some Democrats by so far taking no action despite growing evidence of Trump’s culpability.

“There are certain actions, parts of these different lines of effort to overturn the election, that I don’t see evidence the justice department is investigating,” committee member Adam Schiff, Democratic congressman for California, told ABC’s This Week.

“I would like to see the justice department investigate any credible allegation of criminal activity on the part of Donald Trump.”

Schiff, who led Democrats’ prosecution of Trump at his first impeachment trial in 2020, said Thursday’s primetime televised hearing, which attracted 20 million viewers, provided “just a sample” of the evidence the panel has gathered.

During Monday’s daytime hearing, he said, the committee will “tell the story of how Trump knowingly propagated his big lie” that his election defeat by Joe Biden was stolen from him by fraud, and how that lie was used to spread disinformation by Trump and his allies.

“Once the evidence is accumulated by the justice department, it needs to make a decision about whether it can prove to a jury beyond a reasonable doubt the president’s guilt or anyone else’s,” Schiff said.

“But they need to be investigated if there’s credible evidence, which I think there is.”

The Maryland Democratic congressman Jamie Raskin, another panel member, appeared on CNN’s State of the Union to assert his confidence that Garland “knows what’s at stake”.

“One of the conventions that was crushed during the Trump administration was respect by politicians for the independence of the law enforcement function,” Raskin said.

“Attorney General Garland is my constituent, and I don’t browbeat my constituents [but] he knows, his staff knows, US attorneys know, what’s at stake here.

“They know the importance of it, but I think they are rightfully paying close attention to precedent in history as well as the facts of this case.”

Raskin said Thursday’s televised hearing had “pierced the sound barrier” but that “Americans need to pay further attention because the danger is still out there”.

It emerged that “multiple” Republican Congress members had sought pardons from Trump, with the Pennsylvania representative Scott Perry, the only one identified so far, denying he had done so.

Perry was included in a meeting of congressional Republicans before the 6 January attack that strategized how to prevent lawmakers certifying Biden’s victory on that day.

“The seeking of pardons is a powerful demonstration of the consciousness of guilt, or at least the consciousness that you may be in trouble,” Raskin said.

“Everything we’re doing is documented by evidence, unlike the big lie, which is based on nonsense. Everything that we’re doing is based on facts.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jun/12/capitol-attack-panel-urge-doj-consider-criminal-charges-trump
snood

1  
Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 07:52 am

Frankly? I think what Merrick Garland is paying attention to is the outcry and conflagration that will surely be raised by Trump supporters, if he indicts Trump. I think he knows there will be riots and violence and I don’t think he wants to be responsible for it. Just like the cops in Uvalde, I think this ‘Top Cop’ is just operating out of a lack of courage.