What's up for NYE 2021?

Mame

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 06:33 pm
I haven't been to a club for nearly 2 years. I don't feel shut in, but I'd like to get out and celebrate. So, we made reservations at our local blues club for their NYE celebration and I also made reservations at a French restaurant (back up plan). Turns out that, as of today, the blues club is closed until further notice, but we still get to eat well. It's an early reservation so I imagine we'll be snoring at midnight (lol), but at least we'll have done something.

Have you any plans?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 582 • Replies: 26
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 06:39 pm
We're staying home. Got close to one with covid five days ago, so we are not getting out. We both feel fine, but don't see the point in taking chances. I did buy myself a few beers. Haven't had one since last New Year.
Mame

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 06:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
You haven't had a beer in a year?? Wha? Well, celebrate a good riddance to 2021, although God only knows what 2022 will bring. I hope there's something good on tv for you to watch, if you can stay up that late (debatable in this house)
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 06:48 pm
@Mame,
Something good on TV? It is to laugh.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 06:50 pm
@Mame,
I've never been a fan of New Years Eve outside celebrations. I hate being around a bunch of people that don't know how much they can drink. We've been having special snacks and champaign for the last 39 or 40 years (I'm not overly fond of champaign either, but it's a tradition we enjoy mainy because I like mr. G'bag quite a bit)
Mame

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 06:57 pm
@glitterbag,
We always had house parties or went to one... I'm not one for the clubs (obvs), but celebrating with friends was always fun. Good food, laughs, games... I miss it. I also don't like champagne! (are we possibly related?)

What I like best about NYE is that it signifies turning the last page in a book and the first page in a new one. That's it. I like a fresh page.

Happy New Year's, Mr. and Mrs. GB! And so glad to hear you like Mr. G'bag so much, lol.
oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 07:01 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
You haven't had a beer in a year?? Wha?

There is nothing wrong with drinking alcohol only once a year. The only time I ever drink alcohol is New Years Eve. I just prefer to keep a clear head.

One nice thing about drinking only once a year is it doesn't cost very much to splurge on high quality craft beer.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 07:01 pm
@Mame,
I like the dawn of a New Year Year at midnight. We always celebrate the end of the old year and beginning of the new.......it's a promise for the future.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 07:02 pm
@oralloy,
And that's a good thing since you're around so many guns. Good for you, oralloy. Guns and alcohol don't mix well.
oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 07:04 pm
@Mame,
I'm remembering a party that I was at as a small kid.... The adults all had lots and lots of guns, alcohol, and high-powered fireworks.

I still have a scar from that party in fact. It's faded a bit though. I didn't know that scars faded. Apparently they do though, at least sometimes.
Mame

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 07:07 pm
@oralloy,
Yeah, when I was 5, I went through a newly installed window and had a great gashing (or so I thought at the time) scar on my forehead. Worse was the great guilt and responsibility I felt for cracking through it (it was in their living room, of all places). But the scar is next to nothing. Of course, it has been several decades.

And my mother had keloid scars from a house fire, and nearly 50 years later you can still see them but they're not the ropes they used to be.

How did you happen to get scarred?
oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 07:14 pm
@Mame,
Despite all the guns and fireworks (and I did have a close call with a large firework), I was running full speed past a tent that had a rope running down to a stake in the ground, and I hit the rope with a lot of momentum.

The rope held and stopped my forward progress, but I slid along the rope with a lot of force and it rubbed through a few layers of skin on my arm.

It was night so I didn't see the rope until I hit it.
Mame

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 07:45 pm
@oralloy,
That would be scary, oralloy. And painful.
oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 07:57 pm
@Mame,
It was more surprising than anything. One moment I was running, the next moment I was tumbling.

I was more worried about the firework incident. I was holding onto a powerful firework with significant explosive power. And the fuse on it was sensitive and instantaneous. A bottle rocket went out of control and flew around me trailing all sorts of sparks. Luckily the firework didn't ignite and explode in my hands.
Mame

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 08:04 pm
@oralloy,
How old were you?
oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 08:57 pm
@Mame,
I don't remember my exact age at the time. I was somewhere around tween/middle school/junior high school age.

I could have dumped the firework in the water. But I had just paid $75 dollars for it (equivalent to $200 in today's dollars), which at that age was all the money that I had in the world, so I was reluctant to do that. I just gritted my teeth and hoped that it wouldn't go off in my hands.

I actually saw the whole thing coming. I watched the guy set off the bottle rocket with a sinking feeling that it was going to lose control and come at me. And then it did just that. It all turned out OK in the end though. The fuse didn't ignite, so all was well.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 10:04 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

And that's a good thing since you're around so many guns. Good for you, oralloy. Guns and alcohol don't mix well.

They also say that gasoline and alcohol don't mix well. They do, but the taste is just horrible.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 10:07 pm
@roger,
Not even on the rocks.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2021 11:27 am
We're all going out for a early dinner and then coming home and watching the boob tube for the ball to drop if I make it Cool
Mame

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2021 12:20 pm
@jcboy,
That's what we're doing but I'm not sure I'm even interested in ringing in the new year, to be honest. What kind of restaurant have you chosen?

1. Forums
  2. » What's up for NYE 2021?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 06:54:21