Would you withhold information on Covid?

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 11:14 am
This is an interesting question that arose from the Coronavirus thread that deserves its own thread. I think there are many similar examples.

Dr. Campbell is a respected medical expert who is definitely not an anti-vaxxer (he supports vaccines and and the science behind them. He posted a video on the "Australia Protocol" about how it may be reasonable to suggest, rather than force, people to get vaccinated with a focus on managing hospitalizations.

In this video he points out that natural immunity (from actually catching covid) is better at preventing covid, especially new variants, than the immunization.

This is a scientific fact that is simply true. This caused some uproar from people who feel that this fact will "help the anti-vaxxers".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 412 • Replies: 3

maxdancona

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 11:18 am
@maxdancona,
In my opinion, Medical and Public Health experts should tell people the whole truth no matter what. The idea that experts should withhold information because it might be misused is both ethically wrong, and dangerous.

The only thing Experts have is credibility. Once they misstate, or exaggerate or hide the truth even for a good reason, they lose their voice and their ability to persuade.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 12:45 pm
Quote:
This is a scientific fact that is simply true.

It's a "simple truth" which is disputed:

New CDC Study: Vaccination Offers Higher Protection than Previous COVID-19 Infection

Contrary to the narrative being pushed, for COVID-19 “natural immunity” is not superior to vaccine-induced immunity, which is less variable and more reliable. Even if it were, yet again, I must emphasize that vaccine-induced immunity has a key advantage over post-infection immunity. It doesn’t require you to suffer through the illness and face the risks of severe disease and death from the disease to acquire it.

Fact Check: Natural Immunity Is NOT Far Superior To COVID-19 Vaccines

I'm not picking sides and I do not believe in withholding information on COVID. I do question taking the word of one scientist when there is still so much we don't know about this disease.

Quote:
In my opinion, Medical and Public Health experts should tell people the whole truth no matter what.

I agree.

Quote:
Once they misstate, or exaggerate or hide the truth even for a good reason, they lose their voice and their ability to persuade.

That's not necessarily true, however. Many people will continue to believe the scientist who tells them what they want to believe.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 05:22 pm
@hightor,
Interesting, there seems to be contradictory studies published by the CDC on the effectiveness of natural immunity. The latest reference I can find suggested effective immunity with a disclaimer.

I was wrong about the certainty of my claim (I don't think my claim has been disproven).

I am glad you agree with me about withholding information.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Would you withhold information on Covid?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 12:04:15