This is about elderly dogs...

Mame

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 08:29 pm
So our 'giant pom' (an oxymoron if I ever heard one) is 17 and has arthritis in his right hip. He is otherwise very healthy, engaged, eats, etc., and loves the snow (he looks like a wooly mammoth). Anyway, we recently took him to the vet and got some pain meds (gabapentin) and advice to buy (which I did) a heating pad for his hip. He is basically blind (glaucoma) but he can still see somehow (the food bowl), has a deaf left ear and possible right, and can't really smell anymore. I have to put the treat right under his nose which he licks before deciding to eat it.

So, like I say, he likes to go out, loves car rides (always demandingly barks to go when he 'sees' us putting on our socks or coats), and eats his dinners. The other dog, Kennedy, is a 16 year old beagle who likes to go out for a bit but doesn't like the cold (even with the booties on).

They sleep a lot, as expected.

Do you think it's time to think about their 'end of life'? Our last dog, Gracie (border collie) was 19 when we put her to sleep (she would want to go out but would only walk two houses and then head for home), and our cat, Roy, was 18 when he died.

This is, apparently, a seniors' home... but I don't want my dogs to suffer. I think the beagle is okay for a while and Brandon seems to appreciate life. But I don't know, really, what to do about these beauties - I mean, they're full of life when they're awake (sort of), don't seem to be in any pain, but aren't they ancient?

Is there something else I can do for them? Or should I start thinking about 'putting an end to it" for them?

I ask because these are my first animals and have no experience.

hightor

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 05:19 am
@Mame,
It's a complex calculus between a bunch of factors, made more difficult because you can't ask the animal directly. As long as you're willing to keep putting in the work and the animals don't appear to be suffering (acute pain, loss of balance, incontinence, etc) there's no truly "good time" to end their lives. I know that in two instances I waited too long and the animal's natural death at home was more prolonged and painful than it should have been; I've resolved to intervene earlier in the future. I think dogs know when they have become burdensome and if you begin to resent the routine they'll pick up the vibe after a while so I would try to avoid waiting too long. Some vets will come to your house to put down a pet; that's what I hope my doctor does to me.
mark noble

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 08:18 am
@Mame,
Do NOT, under ANY circumstances - ANY circumstances! Allow your loved ones to suffer - Just because YOU cannot deal with the absence of their UNCONDITIONAL Love.

It's the most difficult decision EVER. (Glucosamine and cod liver oil capsules add another yr or so) - But - in hindsight - You'll Hurt like Fk, if you act to late.

Just being truthful, from experience.
My entire existence was once, For my dogs' happiness.
And There is Nothing In the canine-kingdom I neglected to understand.

Have a Great day - And Make your best friends' every moment - The best you can.

Mark.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 01:08 pm
@hightor,
Thank you. I don't think they're ready yet, but I think I'll just be more vigilant. When he doesn't want to go out anymore, I think it'll be then.
jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 01:25 pm
I’m afraid our big dog Frankie won’t be around much longer. He’s only 12 years old but weighs 105lbs. large dogs don’t live very long. He also has arthritis; he’s on medication for that. He’s moving a lot slower these days but he’s not suffering, when that starts I will have to call out the vet to put him down.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 01:27 pm
@Mame,

we knew it was Jake's time when he stopped eating.

and he loved to eat, especially table scraps., which we were always very generous with.

whenever we got chinese take-out, we knew there was going to be a large puddle of drool on the floor.

he was a rescue who only lived eight years, but we like to think the last three spent with us were his best...
Mame

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 07:43 pm
@Region Philbis,
And they probably were his best, Reg.

All our dogs were rescues and we got them later in their lives. I got Gracie when she was 10, Kennedy when she was 7 (she's now 16), and Brandon when he was 12 (he's the 17 yr old). All delightful animals in differing ways.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 07:45 pm
I can only put in that the dogs I have known, even ones with bad reputations, are deserving of as much love and consideration as we can give them.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2022 10:00 am
My big old hound dog Frankie is getting slower and slower. He has to get a running start just to make it up the back steps.

He’s such a big goofy old happy dog!

https://www.linkpicture.com/q/Frankie.jpg
jcboy

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2023 01:09 pm
@jcboy,
I lost my big old hound dog Frankie today, he had been going down hill the last two month, last night he couldn't get out of his bed to go outside. They came out this morning and put him down, it was painless. I was brushing him when they euthanized him, he loved being brushed. I'll miss that big old orange dog. Our other two dogs Paco and Toby are not even looking for him, I believe they knew he was slowing passing away.
Mame

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2023 04:43 pm
@jcboy,
That was the loveliest way for him to go, jc. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you have other pets to comfort you - they do say that animals can tell when others are sick or dying.

We had to have Brandon put down in April because one night he had some kind of neurological incident where he lost the use of his back and legs. Couldn't sit or hold his head up. It was terribly sad to have to do that - he was so indomitable his whole life. Fearless.

On the plus side, we have recently rescued a 5 year old male cat and two 4 month old kittens (brother and sister). We really missed having an animal in the house and there are so many cats without homes. You can imagine what our house looks like with all the cat toys and trees.
roger

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2023 05:50 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

We had to have Brandon put down in April because one night he had some kind of neurological incident where he lost the use of his back and legs. Couldn't sit or hold his head up. It was terribly sad to have to do that - he was so indomitable his whole life. Fearless.

That's exactly what happened to my last cat, a few years ago. If it hadn't been just before a weekend, I might have waited a day.

At 79, my conscience won't allow another pet.
jcboy

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2023 09:25 am
@roger,
Roger if I were 79 I'd probably go to a shelter and rescue either an old cat or senior dog and give them a good life for their last few years. I've done it twice now.
roger

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2023 04:19 pm
@jcboy,
I would worry about starving while walking over my dead body.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2023 10:28 am
@Mame,
You know the other two dogs have been acting very strange, not their normal selves. They have been just lying around the house together and not eating like they used to. It’s like they’re depressed, so I googled it, turns out dogs can get depressed. I think we will get them out of the house this evening and take them for a long walk.

“What causes a dog to be depressed?

Common triggers for dog depression may include: Grief while mourning the loss of a human or animal companion.”
Mame

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2023 10:55 am
@jcboy,
When our Gracie was on her last leg at the age of 19 in Jan 2020, Brandon (the one that just died in April) would sit beside her and whine incessantly. They know.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » This is about elderly dogs...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 12:15:56