The new host of Jeopardy!

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 11:53 am
Okay, okay...we all know Mayim Bialik is the new host of Jeopardy! She is introduced as such...and although Ken Jennings is hosting some episodes, he is never introduced as THE host of Jeopardy! the way she is. He is introduced as "Hosting Jeopardy!" or "Hosting Jeopardy! tonight"...apparently to make it clear that SHE is the host.

I know there were many here who considered Bialik to be the best of the candidates who were vying for the job, but I was not one of them. I think Ken Jennings and Mike Richards were both much, much better during the try-outs or auditions.

Jeopardy! is probably my favorite television show...and has been for a couple of decades. I just want to say that I enjoy it much less now with Bialik hosting. I acknowledge that she certainly has the personality for the job; is more than smart enough; does a good job with the contestant interviews...but she is spastic. Something is wrong with her. She just seems unable to hold still and say what she has to say (or read the lines she has to read) without twitching from here to hell and back. She is the most fidgety TV host ever. Surely the director or a producer has mentioned this to her. When is she going to make an adjustment?

So...I've got that off my chest. Nice day here in New Jersey. Winter is coming, though. We know that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 972 • Replies: 57
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 12:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,

i don't have a dog in this fight, however...

Quote:
Sony had named Mike Richards as the permanent host of “Jeopardy!” on Aug. 11, calling him
a “unique talent.” But Mr. Richards quit the hosting job on Aug. 20, days after a report by
The Ringer revealed offensive and sexist comments he had made on a podcast several years
ago, the latest in a series of scandals that tarred his brief tenure.
(nyt)
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 12:55 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

i don't have a dog in this fight, however...

Quote:
Sony had named Mike Richards as the permanent host of “Jeopardy!” on Aug. 11, calling him
a “unique talent.” But Mr. Richards quit the hosting job on Aug. 20, days after a report by
The Ringer revealed offensive and sexist comments he had made on a podcast several years
ago, the latest in a series of scandals that tarred his brief tenure.
(nyt)

Yeah, stuff said publicly can get you into all sorts of trouble these days. That's probably why intelligent people use aliases when posting in Internet fora.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 01:03 pm
Mayim is my favorite still of all of the hosts they tried. The guy is trying so hard to be Alex Trebeck that it spoils his performance. But I will watch whoever does the show. My take.
Mame

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2021 11:19 pm
Well, I watched it tonight - it was the Professor's Edition... I didn't find her offensive in the least, or nearly as charming as Alex, but you know, he was a one-off. Anybody, i.e., Julian Lennon, is going to find it hard to compete against a legend. I admire anyone for attempting it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2021 06:57 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Mayim is my favorite still of all of the hosts they tried. The guy is trying so hard to be Alex Trebeck that it spoils his performance. But I will watch whoever does the show. My take.

I, too, will continue to watch, Edgar. Always been my favorite show.

The twitching that Bialik does apparently does not annoy you. I drives me nuts...although people have mentioned that is not a drive. More like a short putt.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2021 06:58 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Well, I watched it tonight - it was the Professor's Edition... I didn't find her offensive in the least, or nearly as charming as Alex, but you know, he was a one-off. Anybody, i.e., Julian Lennon, is going to find it hard to compete against a legend. I admire anyone for attempting it.

Not "offensive"...but twitchy as hell. It putts me nuts.

And you are right...anyone would find it hard to compete against Alex. He was truly one of kind.
Mame

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2021 07:04 am
@Frank Apisa,
You know who could compete? William Shatner. Except he's a bit long in the tooth. Lorne Greene would have done a capable job, too. Raymond Burr. Think guys who were/are respected and quiet-spoken.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2021 08:50 am
I don't like Mayim out of fan loyalty. I didn't watch her Blossom series or Big Bang. I just like her delivery and personality. My one criticism is she shouldn't wear black on the show.
Mame

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2021 09:57 am
@edgarblythe,
Actually, I barely noticed her, so didn't see any 'twitching', whatever that is. Maybe she'll settle down once she gets a few more shows under her belt. I wonder if she's watched any of her episodes.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2021 10:00 am
@Mame,
The contestants are intended to be the show's stars.
Mame

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2021 10:02 am
@edgarblythe,
Absolutely. I barely noticed Alex Trebek, too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2021 11:40 am
Now I am probably going to get reamed over the coals for this...so to clarify I loved Alex as host..he was jeopardy.

But he did often times come across as a little arrogant when someone answered incorrectly and in his tone and perfect enunciation of the correction. But in part, that to me, was part of Alex ....he was supposed to know everything so I didn't get offended by it.

Hard balance for a host to pull off ... The right balance of being personable but yet still being the most knowledgeable ( or the appearance) of being the most knowledgeable one on the stage.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2021 12:00 pm
Ain't nobody who could pronounce "genre" quite like Alex.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2021 12:23 pm
If we all had our druthers Alex would still be with us.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2021 11:57 am
I believe many if not most winners are not necessarily most knowledgeable but simply have quicker trigger fingers.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2021 12:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I believe many if not most winners are not necessarily most knowledgeable but simply have quicker trigger fingers.

The current woman is very bright. So were many of the others. James Holtzhauser was about as gutsy as they come.

Must be a bitch to actually be on stage when playing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 12:18 pm
My post is not targetting the exceptionally brilliant ones. It is a general observation of years watching, although I'm guessing some of these benefit also.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 12:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

My post is not targetting the exceptionally brilliant ones. It is a general observation of years watching, although I'm guessing some of these benefit also.

Yeah, I think some of the people who made the cut are NOT especially bright. I've taken the test. There are two areas that seem to dominate the tests...pop music and television shows...both of which I suck at.

I cannot name bands or groups or songs to save my life. And as far as TV is concerned, best summed up by noting that I have never seen a single episode of Friends, Big Bang Theory, House, or any of a dozen other very popular shows. I just did not watch much TV.

So...people who are great at that kind of trivia have a much better chance of passing the test...and making it to auditions. (I acknowledge that having a wide range of knowledge including pop culture and television is great...and I am the lesser for my deficiency there.0

I am more into the science, history, geography, math, artists, composers kind of thing. I doubt I was sharp enough to be a champion when younger...and am absolutely certain I am not at this time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 01:02 pm
I am the brain fart guy who might otherwise know some answers but can't answer until an hour later.

1. Forums
  2. » The new host of Jeopardy!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 05:18:53