Shortest distance between two points

John Jones

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:39 pm
raprap wrote:
John Jones wrote:
I fancy that the shortest distance between two points as demonstrated by the 5th postulate is not of a line, but of the least number of events associated with both points.

I certainly hope you understand what you said--cause I sure don't.

Rap

I was responding to someone elses post, where they said that the fifth postulate of euclid demonstrated shortest line between two points. I said that I fancied it did not demonstrate shortest line, but demonstrated the shortest line to be the smallest number of events associated with the two points.
0 Replies

Levi

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 03:27 pm
Thanks for reiterating your post. The shortest line is not a strait line, but rather the shortest line. Groundbreaking.

This is not the philosophy forum, okay? We do not solve problems by trying to make everyone else second guess himself with vague and obscure statements that provide no concrete answers of their own.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 03:36 pm
Levi wrote:

This is not the philosophy forum, okay?

Then kindly keep 'line' out of maths. The other point you missed.
0 Replies

Levi

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 05:22 pm
You are shouting at the rain. No one thinks Euclidean lines aren't imaginary. But lines are going to stay in math. Like the ideal gas law, it's to the advantage of an applicable real-world solution to pretend.

In this case, without assuming an ideal condition of a straight line, you get a bunch of useless abstract gobbilty-gook about the shortest distance between two points being the shortest distance. What a contribution.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 06:43 pm
I believe it fair to say that the rhetorical falut in operation here has the simple and classic name of begging the question.
0 Replies

mitnick2t

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:29 pm
The shortest distance between two points is 0!...
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:02 am
If mathematics requires that two points be separate then it must say what separates them. I showed that points do not separate points, and that one way that separation can be formulated is by position. I offered the idea that the number of positions constructed from both points is indicative of the degree of their separation. The line that mathematics helps us to imagine is not a line composed of points, but of positions.

One consequences of this idea is that we immediately dispose of the idea of the infinite line, and numbers associated with it.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 02:01 pm
You're ignoring the obvious fact that points are 0 dimensional (so to speak...) and lines are 1 dimensional.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:00 pm
Thalion wrote:
You're ignoring the obvious fact that points are 0 dimensional (so to speak...) and lines are 1 dimensional.

Yes, we can say that a point has no dimensions, or better, that it's value as an extension is zero. Which leads us to the idea which I thought of last week... that a point is defined by the framework in which it is presented. And if a point is presented in the framework of dimension, then it's properties are expressed in terms of dimension.

We can say that a line is one-dimensional. But now we have shifted the problem of the definition of line to the definition of extension generally. And I would say that, as for my approach to the concept of line, we can leave the idea of extension and consider only the number of events associated with each other.
0 Replies

mitnick2t

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 08:39 pm
Like I've told you already... The shortest distance between two points is ZERO!!! It's not a straight line..!! I can write it mathematically, whic would be a whole book, but I can also explain why is that in simple words that all of you in here can understand. You have a paper, draw point A,, and point B, on the field,, therefore you take the paper and fold the paper in that way that one point toches another point. Therefore, the distance between two points is zero. In other words it is possible to time travel. It is something that not many of few will understand.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 10:14 pm
mitnick2t wrote:
Like I've told you already... The shortest distance between two points is ZERO!!! It's not a straight line..!! I can write it mathematically, whic would be a whole book, but I can also explain why is that in simple words that all of you in here can understand. You have a paper, draw point A,, and point B, on the field,, therefore you take the paper and fold the paper in that way that one point toches another point. Therefore, the distance between two points is zero. In other words it is possible to time travel. It is something that not many of few will understand.

If your theory is correct, it would be of immense interest to the entire scientific community. Have you considered publishing in a peer reviewed Physics journal like "Physical Review?"
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:00 am
mitnick2t wrote:

Your example of the folding paper showed that the distance between the two points, before and after folding the paper, was zero, according to my definition of line.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 08:17 pm
Out of politeness I won't tell you what I am thinking!

But turnaround is fair play! I'm off to the philosophy sections of these great forums to throw some much needed rigour and applicability around Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:26 pm
Why don't we all club up and buy a pub miles from anywhere and piss the rest of our lives away laughing?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:17 am
"Shortest distance between two points." That be your ears.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:41 am
I'd like to think so if being as original and as creative as that requires a longer distance.
0 Replies

Kratos

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 04:09 am
Nitpicking with regards to semantics = mental masturbatory exercise in sophistry.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:00 am
"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line"-Jet Li[The One]
0 Replies

DDT1988UK

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:07 am
Physics is only the human interpritation of the world around us. Like has been said before lines dont exist they cannot exist, because if you were to draw a line, it wouldent be a line anymore as it now has length, with, and depth. Therefore your line is now a shape, showing that lines are invisable.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:58 am
But you may certainly conceive a line.
0 Replies