Strength of Crickets

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:54 pm
What is the kicking strength of a cricket, in pounds per squre inch? How much can a cricket lift or pull?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,909 • Replies: 16
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:19 pm
Re: Strength of Crickets
JGoldman10 wrote:
What is the kicking strength of a cricket, in pounds per squre inch? How much can a cricket lift or pull?

How big a cricket?

What type of cricket, an American Cricket, or a European Cricket?

A young cricket or an old cricket?
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:22 pm
Bah I googled many variations of the question and kept getting results for the game of cricket Razz
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:45 pm
El-Diablo wrote:
Bah I googled many variations of the question and kept getting results for the game of cricket Razz

Yeh, me too.

The Google results are better if you use "crickets" instead of "cricket".
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 01:56 pm
Rosbourne, the strength of a house cricket?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 02:38 pm
If no one here knows, who should I ask?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 05:16 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:
If no one here knows, who should I ask?

I'm sorry, I don't know the approximate strength of a house cricket. I suppose if you really want to get this answered you would need to define the question in more detail.

For example, how much force can the rear leg of a house cricket exert (I don't know). Or, how hard can a cricket cling to a piece of grass while someone is trying to pull him off (I don't know).
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 01:57 pm
Okay. How much force can the hind legs of a house cricket exert, in pounds per squre inch? I read somewhere that with a swift kick, a cricket can exert serious damage to the admonen of a rival insect.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 01:58 pm
I read that most insects can lift or pull 6x their own body weight. Is that true for crickets?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 06:30 am
How much damage can the hind legs of a cricket do? Can a crikcet break something by kicking it?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 02:45 pm
Fighting Crickets:

http://www.insecta-inspecta.com/crickets/field/index.html
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 07:47 pm
Yes, Grasshopper. Size and strength are relative. The cricket can break anything weaker than itself.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:44 am
That's not reallyt answering the question. How strong would a person's legs be if they had the transferred leg strength of a cricket?
Would he be able to break walls with his legs?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:46 am
If you transferred the leg strength of a cricket to a human (a human of "average size") he or she likely wouldn't have enough strength in the legs to stand up, never mind kicking down walls.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:49 am
I disaggree. Crickets legs are poswerful enough to do damage to the thorax of a larger insect, and they have to be powerful in the cricket can jump at least 20x times its owm body length.
Their leg muscles are more highly developed than a human being's.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:52 am
That was satire, Boss . . . you're missing the proportionality issue. Compare the size of a cricket to the size of a human being. You continue to ignore the issue of proportionality.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 04:42 pm
I was watching animal planet one day-I think the scientist explained that crickets are able to jump such long distances in realtion to their body length is because their legs are layered with muscle. They showed what a human begs legs would look like if it had as many muscles as a cricket's leg.
Crikcets store up energy in their legs and relaes it like a spring.
I would think if a cricket is capable of inflicting seriously bodily damage tot he thorax or abdomen of a larger insect, that they are capable of inflicting other kinds of damage with their legs.

Serioulsy. if human beings had the proportionate leg strength of a cricket, could they use their legs to break a wall or some other object with great force?
0 Replies