Do You Live With Air Conditioning?

coluber2001

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 11:53 am
The body's adaption to the hot weather of the climate it lives in occurs in the first few years of life. Only the percentage of sweat glands necessary to keep the body adequately cool ever become functional, and that number is set in early childhood. The variation in people's ability to tolerate heat is not genetic; it depends in what climate you were reared in. So if you were reared in the north of the U.S. or in Canada, then move to the South in later life, your body cannot sweat enough to keep you adequately cool on the hottest summer days because you don't have enough functioning sweat glands.

I was reared in Wisconsin where it rarely gets above 95 degrees, but temperatures above 95 are common in Dallas in the summer, and I suffer for it on those days.

Since most Texans probably have Air conditioning now, it's reasonable to assume that many small children in Texas don't spend enough time outside in the hottest part of the day to allow their bodies to adapt to the heat of the climate they live in, and this means that they'll be maladapted to the climate they live in.

Generally, one effect of widespread air conditioning use is that people is that people will tend to become even more aliented from nature because of their isolation from the outdoors due to their inability to tolerate hot weather..
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:01 pm
Funny. I now live in Wisconsin, and I have trouble on the most humid days (though heat alone doesn't bother me). I sweat like a dying racehorse.

I grew up in the Sierra Nevada foothills in central California, where summer temps are routinely in the triple digits -- but dry. Doesn't bother me, and when I was younger and in shape I could play full court basketball on unshaded blacktop in 100-degree heat for hours.

Exertion in humidity makes me nauseous. (Wicked hangovers, too.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:10 pm
This is all reminding me of a thread that Craven started a long time ago - I think it was Craven - that involved discussion about climate and productivity. Back if I find a link.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:11 pm
I remember that thread very well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:14 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11283

Actually, he posed the question re climate and wealth...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:58 pm
"The body's adaption to the hot weather of the climate it lives in occurs in the first few years of life."

Actually, our bodies can get acclimated to almost any climate after living there for a few years. I remember when we moved to Chicago from California about ten lifetimes ago, people at the home office laughed at me because I wore ten layers of clothes during the winter months for the first couple of years. On our return to California, I drove through Denver, and with snow on the ground, I was able to survive with just a t-shirt.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 01:01 pm
I adapt very well to the cold out here -- within weeks. The summer doesn't get any better for me, though.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 01:31 pm
I don't use my A/C all the time, but in the middle of a 95 degree/95% humidity spell, I'll keep it cranked when I'm home. I love hot weather, but it does sap your strength when it's muggy like that.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:03 pm
eastern lake ontario : our biggest problem is the humidity; it easily reaches 80 % and stays that way day and night. we've had to insulate the cold-water pipes in the basement to prevent excessive dripping. a dehumidifer is a must or your house with start smelling musty and there will be mold bui-up. still love warm summer days ... going outside to work in the garden ... had a bit of a shower and temp is down to 25 C - but getting humid again. hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 03:04 pm
kicky, I wonder why hot weather saps our energy? I worry a little when I travel to destinations with 80-90 degree weather patterns. Once I get there, I'm able to do my share of walking without much problem. I'll be headed to Bali and Singapore at the end of August. Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:22 pm
Noddy - I didn't know about the positive ions. They also make people more energetic, don't they?

Maybe I should try a dehumidifier rather than a AC unit, Hamburger.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:01 pm
I just wanted to stop in and say, "Love air conditioning. Use it all the time and absolutely love it."
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:12 pm
purrrr.....lying on top of air conditioner......will scratch you if you try to take it away....purrrrrr....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:41 pm
I know, I know, hot weather saps your energy. But that's okay with me. I'm naturally lethargic, so it just gives me an excuse to do nothing.

I hate cold weather with a passion.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:03 pm
Eva, you're such a southern bell.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:55 pm
(still lying on top of air conditioner)...I even like the hmmmm sound it makes...(rolling onto back, kitty feet in air)...purrrrrr.....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:34 pm
Stray Cat, that is so goddammed cute.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:35 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
kicky, I wonder why hot weather saps our energy? I worry a little when I travel to destinations with 80-90 degree weather patterns. Once I get there, I'm able to do my share of walking without much problem. I'll be headed to Bali and Singapore at the end of August. Wink

I don't know, maybe you get used to it though. When I lived in Florida I don 't remember being especially sapped when I would go outside.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:40 pm
Quote:
that is so goddammed cute

(opening one eye)..so are you!!....purrrr.....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:42 pm
C'mere, you sweet little kitty cat...

<scratching Stray Cat's belly>
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 06/01/2024 at 10:53:10