Do You Live With Air Conditioning?

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 05:25 am
Gus's Do You Have a Sledgehammer thread made me think of this. I grew up not knowing what air conditioning (A/C) is. Now that I have it, I couldn't live in southeast Texas without it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,038 • Replies: 101
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 05:31 am
All houses and buildings here have central A/C.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 05:36 am
I don't know how anyone lived in Florida before air conditioning. A few years ago, the a/c was out for a couple of days, and I thought that I was going to DIE! Sad

For those who have never been in Florida in the summer, think of the Amazon rain forest exhibit in the Bronx Botanical Gardens, and you will get an idea of what it is like here.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:01 am
I too grew up without AC and don;t now know how. Yesterday it got up to 103 here. I don't know if I could have survived it.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:05 am
I live in Mass... so weather is always changing... but I don't ever remember a time when we didn't have A/C.... but we don't have many brutally hot hot days here (unless you count this summer, its gotten pretty hot and humid)....but I could live withour one as long as I had a million fans on me!! :-)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:08 am
I lived in Providence for a time. Don't recall seeing any A/C there, but I didn't really think about it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:08 am
I have central air up here in Ontario, Canada. Last summer it was on once. This summer, it is on constantly. Cold, cold winter and now a hot, hot, hot summer.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:18 am
What exactly is this Air conditioner thing you're talking about? Is it like those hair conditioners I've heard so much raving about?

Okay, back to the more serious matters. Air conditioning is great for nights since it takes the moisture from the air and that way I am not sleeping in a water bed. Beyond that, I can survive without it for hours at a time. Note the key word here was survive. I am not talking about living comfortably or sanely, just survival.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:56 am
Like Crazielady I grew up and still live in Mass, however, when I was growing up we did not have air conditioning. I remember some nights sweating in bed and I had the coolest room in the house. Now I have central air and I don't know if I could buy another house without it. Sometimes it is so incredibly humid here that I cannot imagine not having a/c. Most newer homes in the area have central air, however there are many older house in New England and they really have central air.

Once when I was visiting in Seattle, we stayed at a relative's house. It was newly built. We were there during the summer and it was so hot! I was shocked to find that they did not have a/c. It didn't help that I was pregnant at the time. It seems that Seattle has such few really hot uncomfortable days, that it is rare for a home to have a/c.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:57 am
I'd die without my air.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:21 am
yup, need the ac...it was 100 here yesterday with a 119 heat index...hubby who works outdoors sure was happy to come home to an AC house...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:09 am
Him and me both. I'm a meter reader and the heat we're having here lately is doing me in.

What always gets me are those people who say how glorious the hot weather is, and they work indoors in a nice air-conditioned office. Evil or Very Mad

I'd like to stake them out in the Sahara desert and see how they like this "wonderful" weather.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:16 am
I didn't get an air conditioner until a few years ago (laziness) and I often spent the night sleeping in the bath-tub because I was in and out so often taking cold showers to cool down. Boston gets horribly humid in the summer. I've been to other places where the temperatures are higher and have felt far more comfortable. It's the sticky, wet humidity that just saps my energy and if the electricity goes off on me and I can't use my A/C I am likely to hurt somebody.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:20 am
I don't have air conditioning.

I do have a couple of window units but I haven't turned them on this year. It gets a bit steamy late afternoon but the nights are down in the 60s so I hate to turn them on/off/on/off/on/off.

We lounge.
We siesta.
We swim.
We sip cold beverages.

Ahhhhh summertime!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:26 am
Brandon
Brandon9000 wrote:
All houses and buildings here have central A/C.

Brandon, I recently suggested to my son that he buy a dehumidifier to reduce the moisture inside their large home in Brandon, Florida. He reported yesterday that it has made a huge improvement and they are much more comfortable.

BBB
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:30 am
we have 3 room A/C's (bedroom, living room, computer room), and all 3 have been getting a serious workout this summer...

this is our 10th year in the house, and i'd say that 4 or 5 of the summers were cool enough that all we needed were a few strategically placed fans...

its an old house that's slow to cool down or warm up when the weather shifts, which it does on a regular basis, so it might be 50 degrees outside, but it still feels like its 90 outside in the house Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:36 am
pretty much all of my adult life I have lived in the desert southwest, (southern colorado/arizona and new mexico) dry and hot are the norms. I never had any air conditioning in colorado (cool nights) in ariz I had a heat pump and now back in new mexico I have a swmp cooler) I have never had actual air conditioning. I find that hot and humid may be a problem elsewhere that requires regular air conditioning.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:04 am
I never had ac when I was growing up. If it became unbearably hot we would go to a movie to cool down.

Now I have one window unit for my bedroom (it is hot in there for obvious reasons :wink:) and one window unit for my office.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:10 am
Hell yes. Best $150 I spent, for an a/c for my bedroom.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:30 am
growing up in nyc, we never had A/C.
my dad's excuse over the years had to do with the power limitations of the apartment building we lived in.

the folks still live in that same apartment, and guess what?
yep, they have an A/C...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do You Live With Air Conditioning?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:12:43