The Union movement is dead.

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 07:19 am
It is strange.... Here (on Able2know) end elsewhere you have mainstream liberal cheering the firing of tens of thousands of municipal workers and the loss of appeals in court.

The word "union" is often used as a proxy for some complaint against capitalism in genera. But, the idea that workers should have leverage to push back against employers is something that no believes in any more.

The union is not only dead. It is something that no one really even believes in anymore.

Liberals used to believe in the union movement. But then against, liberals used to believe in due process and free speech. Maybe I need to accept that what it means to be a liberal has changed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 641 • Replies: 23

hightor

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 07:35 am
@maxdancona,
I think the purpose of unions is to secure the best working conditions for members. And I think most people believe that workers should have a right to protest working conditions without fear of dismissal. The vaccine mandates are about public safety, not working conditions. Vaccinations make workers safer. The protests were not about working conditions and I think it is very likely that they were incited by anti-vaxxers within those unions. While I agree that organized labor is weak and less popular than it once was, I don't think the "cheering" is anti-union at all, but calling out the protests for having been co-opted by conservative elements and enemies of public health. Demonstrations for higher wages, benefits, and workplace safety are more likely to find public support from liberals.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 07:38 am
@hightor,
That is clearly bullshit, Hightor.

The unions belong to the workers. The Unions represent the workers. That's the whole point. You are claiming that the management knows best, and that firing workers for non-compliance is a good way forward.

Unions represent what workers actually want, not what management feels they should accept.

hightor

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 07:50 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
That is clearly bullshit, Hightor.

You really know how to get a discussion off on the wrong foot. You can't simply say that you disagree?

If workers really want something, fine. But if it has nothing to do with fair labor practices and traditional labor concerns, they can't just assume that the public at large will be behind them. If workers really want to get paid time-and-a-half on their birthdays or really want vegan foods in the cafeteria and threaten to quit if they don't get what they want I wouldn't expect much public sympathy.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 08:39 am
@hightor,
It used to be Solidarity Forever.

That all changed when Reagan fired the air traffic controllers. Now we see the results.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 08:45 am
You may notice, White Collar workers are not being fired (in any great nunbers) for defying vaccine mandates. Many companies (including mine) are telling workers they will never ask for vaccine status due to privacy even as they reopen offices. Other conpanies are saying employees need to be vaccinated to return to the office but are offering clear concessions so unvaccinated workers can continue to be paid.

As usual, it is the blue collar worker that gets fired. These are the very people unions were supposed to stand up for.
hightor

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 09:11 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You may notice, White Collar workers are not being fired (in any great nunbers) for defying vaccine mandates.

I haven't noticed that.

It might be because they don't belong to unions and thus we don't hear about it.

Or it might be because the level of defiance is minimal so less people are getting canned.

If we did hear about large numbers of white collar workers getting dismissed for defying mandatory vaccination, I suspect the level of approval among the general public would be the same. In fact, it might even be greater.

My basic point is that this is a special case and if we want to show that support for unions is dead we'd need more examples, specifically in a context where traditional labor grievances are being aired. For instance, the striking workers at Heaven Hill Distillery received much popular support. I haven't heard any criticism of the union actions against John Deere or Kellogg either. Their demands didn't conflict with public health requirements.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 12:33 pm
@hightor,
I am a white collar worker.

White collar workers are not disposable. When an engineer or a lawyer or an architect leaves, it costs the employers a shitload of money. White collar jobs have big startup costs as workers in skilled jobs take time to come up to speed.

If a sanitation worker speaks out, they can be replaced. White collar employees can't be treated that way, and companies work hard to stop valued employees from leaving.

Many companies, including Apple and Microsoft have said they won't be enforcing a vaccine mandate. Facebook and Google are saying they will not let employees return to the office without a vaccine... but show me story of someone getting suspended.

It's **** the unions all over again.
hightor

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 12:57 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
It's **** the unions all over again.

But it really isn't. It's "**** the anti-vaxxers because we think they endanger public health and prolong the pandemic." It simply doesn't seem like the sort of issue that attracts support from that portion of the population which is traditionally well-disposed toward organized labor. Liberals usually support public health measures and they usually support union demands but exempting a whole subset of the population from mandatory vaccination only because they belong to a union could prevent society from ever reaching general immunity.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 01:47 pm
@hightor,
My big corporate employer is not mandating a vaccine. They called us back to the office with policies on masks, tracking and distancing.

I am going to guess that this fairly typical for companies who care about employee satisfaction and turnover.

I bet that most of the people fired will be hourly workers, and that engineers and lawyers who choose not to be vaccinated will be accomodated or simply left alone.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 02:58 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It is strange.... Here (on Able2know) end elsewhere you have mainstream liberal cheering the firing of tens of thousands of municipal workers and the loss of appeals in court.

The word "union" is often used as a proxy for some complaint against capitalism in genera. But, the idea that workers should have leverage to push back against employers is something that no believes in any more.

The union is not only dead. It is something that no one really even believes in anymore.

Liberals used to believe in the union movement. But then against, liberals used to believe in due process and free speech. Maybe I need to accept that what it means to be a liberal has changed.

I'm not sure what you mean by "believe in"...but for certain there are many, many people here in A2K, and throughout the United States, who are of the opinion that unions are generally a "good thing"...that the services they render to the working stiff are very much a net positive. I'm one of them and like so many of the others, would like to see MORE union organizing...not less.

There is no meaningful, reasonable reason for supposing that supporting vaccine mandates, even if it means some union members may be fired for refusal to comply...means that one is against unions. That seems like a forced effort on your part, Max. It seems to be part of the struggling you have been doing making your points lately.

It's kinda sad to watch.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 03:36 pm
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 03:37 pm
@maxdancona,
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 03:42 pm
@maxdancona,
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 03:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
There is a big cognitive dissonance here....

Union leaders are making the distinction... you can be pro-vaccine but still disagree with forcing workers to be vaccinated by threatening to fire them if they don't comply.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 05:12 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

Labor unions have been around for a very long time, and like many human movements and organizations, they have a youth, a maturity and an old age. In their early years Unions engaged the excesses that accompanied the rapid industrialization of the 2nd half of the 19th century, continuing through the early decades of the 2oth. A great deal was achieved, ranging from workplace safety & hygiene to working hours and compensation, and restrictions on child labor. All involved needed transitions from the accepted conditions of the largely agricultural age that preceded it, but were intolerable in an industrial setting. In this process the unions were a necessary and beneficial element in our industrial and economic growth, contributing significantly to the national welfare. A brief maturity followed in the decades between 1940 & 1970, and a decline followed that. What happened?

Labor Unions successfully addressed many issues attendant to those indicated above, and in the process developed their own management structures, which, like most such things, tended over time to look to their own interests more than that of the workers they represented. Lots of criminal activity and connections with organized crime grew among the Teamsters, Longshoremen, and Construction industries in particular. Meanwhile nearly all union management teams learned the arts of formalizing grievance procedures, influencing (and in some cases nearly controlling the personnel management activities of employers for their members), instituting automatic withholding of union dues, & their payment to the union by employers, and defining labor and job categories and seniority "rights" in an inflexible way, limiting what any worker could do, -- all in an effort to maximize employment and union membership. Finally Unions developed and sustained their political influence through extensive lobbying and political contributions to government officials, and in many cases successfully developed laws supporting Union objectives, including in some cases forced union membership. U

All of these things tended to reduce whatever levels of teamwork and organizational morale might have existed in the companies whose employees they represented, and, in many ways tended to reduce their economic efficiency and ability to compete in the marketplaces the employers served. All this stimulated new competitors to locate their manufacturing facilities in new places where unions weren't so prevalent or powerful, and unionized companies to pursue automation and outsourcing in efforts to escape the effects union restrictions on their productivity. These factors together started the measurable decline of the unionized workforce starting in the late 1960s.

Now most new manufacturing facilities are located in States with laws precluding forced union membership , while already heavily unionized industries automate and outsource major elements of production - all to reduce the adverse economic effects modern unions bring.

I believe the key point here is that, like most human activities and organizing structures, unions are born out of necessity, initially thrive as they achieve their founding objectives, but eventually become corrupted by the humans who run them. There's a saying in Biology noting that a intelligent, or successful, parasite usually doesn't kill it host. For the most part today's unions are not intelligent parasites. As a result private sector union membership has been declining fast. Indeed nearly all of the growth in union membership over the past two decades has occurred in various State & Federal government activities, where the unionization of the employees is brought about by the raw political power of the unions and without the votes or consent of the employees involved.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 09:39 pm
Labor Union Favorability Reaches Highest Level Since 1965

Published: September 2, 2021

Quote:
Labor unions are more popular with Americans than they have been in more than half a century, according to a new poll from Gallup.

Sixty-eight percent of respondents said they approve of unions, marking the highest level since 1965, when 71% said they approved. The high ratings continue a trend of growing popularity for unions since the Great Recession of 2007 to 2009, when favorability bottomed out at 48%.

Gallup conducts the poll on unions every year. Gallup’s Megan Brenan wrote that this year’s rate of 68% matches the average approval rating between 1936 and 1967, much of which was a historic period of growth for organized labor.

The approval of unions in the latest poll was particularly high among Democrats, at 90%. Forty-seven percent of Republicans said they approved of unions, and 66% of independents. Respondents were also more likely to approve of unions if they were young (77% of those ages 18 to 34) or identified as non-white (76%). (The full poll results can be viewed here.)

Despite more people saying they like unions, union membership is still hovering near a historic low. Just 9% of Gallup’s respondents this year were union members, consistent with the latest membership rate of 10.8% from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The rate tends to be even lower in the private sector alone, where BLS reported that just 6.3% of workers are union members.

Unions have been pushing for what would be a historic overhaul of labor law to make it easier for workers to bargain collectively. The Protecting the Right to Organize Act, or PRO Act, would create new monetary penalties for companies that illegally bust unions, outlaw “right to work” laws that are on the books in a majority of states and give workers an easier path to securing a first union contract.

The PRO Act would carry out the most sweeping changes to collective bargaining law in more than 70 years. It has already passed the Democratic-controlled House, but it hasn’t garnered the support of all 50 Democrats in the Senate, let alone the 10 additional Republicans that would be needed to overcome a filibuster.

Democrats are considering trying to push some parts of the PRO Act through Congress on a party-line vote, through a process called budget reconciliation. Such a strategy would avoid a Senate filibuster but would limit how much of the legislation could be implemented. Unions are pushing Democrats to pursue the measure that would fine companies found to have violated labor law during organizing campaigns.

The reconciliation route, if Senate rules allow it, would still require more support than Democrats currently have for the PRO Act, since centrist Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (Ariz.) hasn’t yet signaled she would back it.

Liz Shuler, the new president of the AFL-CIO labor federation, recently told HuffPost that unions should seek to pass the PRO Act in its entirety but also take a piecemeal approach if that’s what the politics dictate.

In a statement Thursday, Shuler said the latest polling from Gallup should come as no surprise,” since workers “have finally been recognized as essential to our economy and society during the coronavirus pandemic.”

“The writing is on the wall, and it is time for Congress to respond to public opinion and the will of their constituents by passing the PRO Act,” she said.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/union-favorability-reaches-highest-level-since-1965_n_6131481de4b04778c0027eec
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2021 12:02 am
Why Are So Many Workers Going on Strike? | The Daily Show

Published: Oct 19, 2021

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2021 12:15 am
Biden: 'When Unions Win, Workers Across The Board Win'

President Biden held an event at the White House to (honor) labor unions and their efforts to
(support) workers rights and families. The president praised their accomplishments and discussed
what his administration has accomplished.

Published: Sep 8, 2021

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2021 04:09 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There is a big cognitive dissonance here....

Union leaders are making the distinction... you can be pro-vaccine but still disagree with forcing workers to be vaccinated by threatening to fire them if they don't comply.

I agree. You can be.

You can also be pro-vaccine and be totally in agreement with forcing workers to be vaccinated by threatening to fire them if they don't comply.

So what is you point?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Union movement is dead.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 01:28:57