The Obsolete Science Behind Roe v. Wade

BillRM

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 07:36 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

His nonsensical "mostly male" government official. He is trying to imply that abortion restrictions are imposed by men onto women.

In fact 37% of women believe that abortion should be illegal in "all or most cases" (compared to 42% of men). This is not an issue that is divided by gender.

When Bill (who is a man) tells Stacy (who is a woman) what she should think about abortion in terms of what men are doing to women.... it is a little funny. I hate to use the word "mansplaining", but it kind of describes what Bill is doing here.

LOL sorry most of the overwhelmed lawmakers are men in this society and to add to that such laws as in Texas will only be apply to the poor as others can drive or fly out of that state. So the wives and the daughters of those lawmakers can just jump on a plane if needed.

Next even other women have no right as in zero right to control another woman womb but it is even more insulting when it is mainly men who are telling women that even in the case of rape they must carry the fetus to full term.

By the way are you claiming that a large percent of women support the idea that if they are rape or their daughters are rape they would have no problem with being force to carry the fetus to full term????? I would love to see a survey that would come to that conclusion.
maxdancona

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 08:08 am
@BillRM,
There is a big difference between a fetus at one month, and a fetus after 9 months. I speak from experience.

There is no disagreement that once a baby is born it is a full human being. However not much changes in a baby's development 5 minutes before it is born.

The only thing that changes is its location.

maxdancona

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 08:14 am
@BillRM,
I bet you don't know how many women are in the Texas State Legislature.

Furthermore, I bet you don't know how many women in said Texas State Legislature voted for the restrictive Abortion law.

You seem to expect women to agree with you.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 08:25 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:

It's arbitrary. Except that a line must be drawn somewhere. The distinction is between "born" and "unborn". The only reason for killing a newborn would be if it simply wasn't viable; it is either discretely euthanized as to the wishes of the mother or allowed to die. These are rare instances, often emotionally upsetting, and a great example of places where government just shouldn't go.

Quote:
When evangelical Christians first began debating the issue of abortion, they were nowhere near as unified about the topic as they appear to be today. Shortly after the Supreme Court made their landmark decision on the issue in Roe v. Wade (1973), influential Baptist minister W.A. Criswell, pastor of First Baptist in Dallas, TX, and predecessor to FOX News darling Robert Jeffress, said:

"I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person, and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed."

What Does the Bible Say About Abortion?
MontereyJack

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 08:39 am
@maxdancona,
Max has his stats backwards. Abortion support runs around 60% pro,about ,2 to 1 and has for decades

MontereyJack

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 08:59 am
@MontereyJack,
No
I read him wrong. My bad.
Frank Apisa

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 09:03 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Oooookkkkkaaaay Bill,

You are arguing that in the case of vaccinations it is Ok to control a woman's body because lives are at stake?

Huh.

So we are back to a fetus inside a woman body is a human being with full human rights not a group of cells that maybe in the future will become a human with full human rights or maybe not?

Sorry but a woman rights is somewhat at a higher level then a fetus and you or anyone else does not have the right to seize control of a woman womb.

Precisely, Bill. The fact us that a pregnancy is not occurring just anywhere...IT IS OCCURRING IN A PARTICULAR WOMAN'S BODY. She should be able to end that pregnancy if, and when, she wants.

YES...late term abortions can be "troubling." Even I, who advocates for a woman's right to choose to end the pregnancy at ANY time, consider it "troubling."

But the woman should retain the right to terminate...no matter how "troubling" it is for other people.

The "religious" arguments on this issue are untenable. The non-religious arguments are intrusive for no good reason.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 09:06 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There is a big difference between a fetus at one month, and a fetus after 9 months. I speak from experience.

There is no disagreement that once a baby is born it is a full human being. However not much changes in a baby's development 5 minutes before it is born.

We pretty much ALL "speak from experience" on this.

Are you suggesting you have experience superior to ours on the matter?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 12:44 pm
@hightor,
Thank you Hightor for acknowledging that an arbitrary line must be drawn somewhere.

There are mothers who kill their perfectly healthy children with one or two years of age. I don't know if you are making the claim that any mother should be able to kill their healthy newborn (or just that they wouldn't). I would argue that the government should involved in this case. It is a crime.
maxdancona

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 12:45 pm
@MontereyJack,
Thank you MontereyJack,

My point is that almost as many women believe that abortions should be illegal as men do. The narrative that this is men controlling women doesn't make sense.
maxdancona

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 12:52 pm
According to Gallup....

About 60% believe that abortion should be legal "in all or most cases" in the first trimester.

About 13% believe that abortion should be legal "in all or most cases" in the third trimester.

Most people make a distinction between early term and late term abortions.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/235469/trimesters-key-abortion-views.aspx
oralloy

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 01:57 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Thank you Hightor for acknowledging that an arbitrary line must be drawn somewhere.

If society is to draw arbitrary lines (especially regarding an issue that is so important to a lot of people), should those arbitrary lines be drawn by judges or legislators?
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 02:41 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
There are mothers who kill their perfectly healthy children with one or two years of age.

Which is one of the strongest arguments for not forcing women to bear unwanted children.

Quote:
I don't know if you are making the claim that any mother should be able to kill their healthy newborn (or just that they wouldn't).

Of course not. I specifically mentioned the circumstances – non-viability. Roe vs Wade is not retroactive.

BillRM

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 03:05 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Thank you MontereyJack,

My point is that almost as many women believe that abortions should be illegal as men do. The narrative that this is men controlling women doesn't make sense.

You are trying to claim large numbers of women support the idea that if they are rape they must carry the rapist child to full term!!!!!!!!!

Come on let see where that survey come from.
BillRM

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 03:11 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
There are mothers who kill their perfectly healthy children with one or two years of age.

Which is one of the strongest arguments for not forcing women to bear unwanted children.

Quote:
I don't know if you are making the claim that any mother should be able to kill their healthy newborn (or just that they wouldn't).

Of course not. I specifically mentioned the circumstances – non-viability. Roe vs Wade is not retroactive.

Do not forget when the women end up with more fetuses in her womb that she can carry to term and therefor to save any of them perfect healthy fetus need to be aborted.

Such matters should be up to the women in question with the aid of their doctors and not the government,
Mame

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 03:19 pm
@BillRM,
Why do you keep focussing on rape-abortions, BillRM? I would hazard a guess that they're a small percentage of total abortions. Stop. The issue isn't rape; it's birth control. Birth control works whether a woman is raped or not. If a woman is raped, she should be given 'the morning after' pill. End of possible baby. Birth control should be FREE to all women.
oralloy

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 03:45 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Do not forget when the women end up with more fetuses in her womb that she can carry to term and therefor to save any of them perfect healthy fetus need to be aborted.

Maybe they shouldn't have overfertilized themselves in the first place.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 04:01 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
maxdancona wrote:

If someone views abortion as pre-birth murder, then they will not see "trading post-birth murder for pre-birth murder" as any kind of success.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 04:09 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Why do you keep focussing on rape-abortions, BillRM? I would hazard a guess that they're a small percentage of total abortions. Stop. The issue isn't rape; it's birth control. Birth control works whether a woman is raped or not. If a woman is raped, she should be given 'the morning after' pill. End of possible baby. Birth control should be FREE to all women.

I always feel guilty when I agree with Mame.... but here I go again.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 3 Nov, 2021 04:10 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

Are you really saying that "one of the strongest arguments" for abortion is to prevent women from murdering their children later?

That seems a little outrageous.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 02:37:03