Should voting rights be recinded for the elderly?

maxdancona

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 08:49 am
@edgarblythe,
You don't trust the vote counting, Edgar?

You are a little out of your lane, this is something usually said by Trump supporters.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 08:56 am
If everyone votes, then elections are nothing more than beer ads. Most people voting don't care enough to even know the issues.. they are basing their votes on what they here from Glenneth Paltrow or Glenn Beck.

I don't believe everyone should vote. We have people showing up at the polls with no knowledge of the issues because MTV told them to. That is not a sane way to decide the future of the country.
Mame

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 09:24 am
@maxdancona,
In a perfect world, I'd agree with you, however... it's far from perfect. What difference does it make if it's a senile person or someone from the deepest recesses who wears a tinfoil helmet or a convicted felon or stay-at-home parent who's too busy to find out about the issues?

The issue is the Right to Vote.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 09:56 am
Someone's ability to drive has no bearing on whether or not they should vote.

The two things are not connected otherwise blind people would be unable to vote.

If someone is an unsafe driver they should have their licence taken from them.
Real Music

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 11:09 am
@windraider,
Quote:
Teenagers don't typically suffer from dementia and declining cognitive ability though.

1. Are you saying that teenagers are safe drivers?

2. Or, Are you saying teenagers are unsafe drivers?

3. Are you saying that teenagers should be allowed to drive?

4. Or, Are you saying teenagers shouldn't be allowed to drive?
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 11:18 am
@windraider,
Quote:
Should voting rights be recinded for the elderly?
https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/no-inscription-picture-id477014032?k=6&m=477014032&s=612x612&w=0&h=LN27Fl-h2NghtgLX_1ADXVZpxDrqCFtp-FyUxTh6QV8=
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 11:24 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Someone's ability to drive has no bearing on whether or not they should vote.

The two things are not connected otherwise blind people would be unable to vote.

If someone is an unsafe driver they should have their licence taken from them.

Agreed.
0 Replies

Jingleboots

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 12:00 pm
@windraider,
It would appear to me that you're more concerned about the voting than you are the safety of children and other drivers.

As for "hiding the keys" ?? Really? If you need to take their keys, at least sit them down and explain the reason for doing so. Let them understand that their decisions are putting other people and your kids in danger. At least that way they can get groceries and things like that. I don't advise just "taking their keys" that's nuts.

You do have a valid point about the safety issues, and regardless of your own political views, they are entitled to vote as they please. Obviously they don't vote like you do and you don't like it. I bet that is the real reason for your question. You MUST be a democrat.
maxdancona

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 12:00 pm
We could pass meaning climate change legislation if take away the right tl vote from people who don't believe in science. And, would anyone argue that taking the vote away from racists would be a bad thing?

0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 12:31 pm
@Jingleboots,
1. That's funny.

2. I was left with the impression that he must be a republican.

3. The Democrats are doing everything they can to expand voting to all Americans.

4. While the Republicans are doing everything they can to restrict voting.
izzythepush

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 12:40 pm
@Real Music,
That is the thing about the Amefican right it can't sit quietly,it just has to make snide comments.

I've not read any of Max's posts obviously, but I got the impression this thread was progressing in a nice non partisan manner, which was quite a change gor A2K.
edgarblythe

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 12:41 pm
@izzythepush,
He probably figures if you don't agree with everything he says you are too stupid to deserve voting rights.
izzythepush

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 12:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Max just wants to piss everyone off he gets a kick out of being nasty.

I don't care what he says, and I dont want to speculate about what hoes on in his sewer of a mind.
maxdancona

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 12:50 pm
@izzythepush,
This is not a non-partisan thread.

The claim is that the Democrats are "doing everything they can" for voting rights. That is the opposite of non-partisan.
maxdancona

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 01:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Nonsense. Izzy wants nothing but platitudes from a narrow ideological perspective with no questions.

The group think requires a simple narrative that can be expressed in two bumper stickers.; everyone should vote. Republicans are evil.

Of course, underlying these slogans is a basic flawed premise that of everyone votes, their side will always win.

All I am doing is questioning the partisan group think. This upsets Izzy (which is especially funny because he is from a country that is has more problems, and less democracy that the US).
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 01:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:

The claim is that the Democrats are "doing everything they can" for voting rights. That is the opposite of non-partisan.

Given the news of the day it's a timely issue and not a partisan claim.
maxdancona

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 02:00 pm
@hightor,
What is your definition of the term "partisan"? I cant think of any definition where what you are saying makes any sense.
Real Music

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 02:10 pm
Jingleboots wrote to: windraider
Quote:
It would appear to me that you're more concerned about the voting than you are the safety of children and other drivers.

As for "hiding the keys" ?? Really? If you need to take their keys, at least sit them down and explain the reason for doing so. Let them understand that their decisions are putting other people and your kids in danger. At least that way they can get groceries and things like that. I don't advise just "taking their keys" that's nuts.

You do have a valid point about the safety issues, and regardless of your own political views, they are entitled to vote as they please. Obviously they don't vote like you do and you don't like it. I bet that is the real reason for your question. You MUST be a democrat.

Real Music wrote to: Jingleboots
Quote:
1. That's funny.

2. I was left with the impression that he must be a republican.

3. The Democrats are doing everything they can to expand voting to all Americans.

4. While the Republicans are doing everything they can to restrict voting.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 02:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
partisan - a firm adherent to a party, faction, cause, or person; especially : one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance.

I don't know what your definition is but the statement you're so outraged about could have been made by any neutral objective observer of the contemporary USAmerican political scene. Over the past seven decades the Democratic Party has worked to expand suffrage while, more recently, the Republican Party has been trying to tighten voting requirements and narrow ballot access. (The GOP repealed the 1993 "motor voter" law and has supported repealing a key section of the Voting Rights Act in 2013.) That's not a particularly contentious statement and I think members of both parties would agree with that characterization.

maxdancona

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 03:00 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I think members of both parties would agree with that characterization.

If you can show me influential Republicans who express this sentiment, then I will change my mind on this topic.

Otherwise I think you are full of crap on this point. This is a partisan issue, and the two parties are very far apart; as partisan as you can get.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:04:54