What Features Should I Look For In A DVD Player?

Roosh

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:06 am
Good advice should I want to record onto DVD in the near future, but for now my interests lie in playing computer media and starting out with an inexpensive entrance into DVD on the larger TV screen... Very Happy

So to all, please reference the questions in my prior post :wink:

>And thanks for the link. :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 08:44 am
Shop around -- there are DVD players under $100. with progressive scan which even though it may not make a big difference on your present set you may upgrade your TV in the next year or two! Try:

www.jandrmusic.com

They have free shipping deals and a good selection of DVD players.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 08:46 am
We've been discussing the new Pioneer DVD burner which has an 80gb hard drive and TIVO! The price includes the lifetime TIVO subscription. It may be over one's budget with a list of $ 1200.00. LINK:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14093
0 Replies

Roosh

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 07:26 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Shop around -- there are DVD players under $100. with progressive scan which even though it may not make a big difference on your present set you may upgrade your TV in the next year or two! Try:

www.jandrmusic.com

They have free shipping deals and a good selection of DVD players.

I was asking specifically about DVD/VHS combos at first, but come to think of it, I do have a quality Panasonic VCR already -- would it be a better idea to just get a DVD player w/ more features & use both the old vcr & new dvd player? And if so, what features should I look for besides prog. scan?

Quote:
As I'm also very new to DVD (I don't even own one), I would take advantage of the player at first for it's ability to play CD-R/CD-RW's. Am I right in assuming I'll be able to listen to burned music cd's & view burned video cd's? Will I be able to control the video cd's with the remote, ie, pause, fast-forward, rewind, slow-mo, etc? If those features only work on a dvd-r, I should add that I don't have a dvd-rom. Do I have to burn "vcd/svcd's" (something I'm not familiar with) or will I be able to view discs I've already burned as 'data discs' using Nero?

If I'm convinced that Prog. Scan is really the way to go regardless of how much more it costs me, I've found this combo: JVC for $125.

Do brand names matter in terms of quality? I was recently hunting for hard drives and was told to stay away from Samsung. Now I wonder about their media players.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 07:33 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
We've been discussing the new Pioneer DVD burner which has an 80gb hard drive and TIVO! The price includes the lifetime TIVO subscription. It may be over one's budget with a list of $ 1200.00. LINK:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14093

think I'll wait awhile :wink:
0 Replies