What exactly is EQ?

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:19 pm
I keep hearing "Emotional Intelligence" and "EQ" in some articles. It sounds like some kind of popular science stuff to me. I am reading up on it right and the more I read, the more it sounds like popular science. I mean really if a sign of a high EQ is to have the "ability" to tell people how you feel whenever you feel any emotion, then I'd rather be several standard deviations below an average EQ.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 765 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:08 pm
Re: What exactly is EQ?
manticore wrote:
I keep hearing "Emotional Intelligence" and "EQ" in some articles. It sounds like some kind of popular science stuff to me.

It's more of a sociological term than something from hard science.

Quote:
I mean really if a sign of a high EQ is to have the "ability" to tell people how you feel whenever you feel any emotion, then I'd rather be several standard deviations below an average EQ.

You've never known a 25 year old that acts like a 12 year old? Or a 14 year old that, if it weren't for physical appearances, would seem to be much older than they are? People used to refer to this sort of thing as "they never grew up" or "wise beyond their years".

The basic premise being that people that have a smilar "EQ" are likely to get along better regardless of their ages than people with differing EQs that are the same age.
0 Replies

babylonian

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:15 pm
from my understanding, EQ is your emotional quotient.
this is your reflected cultural values that influence your descisions, particularly in life.....
an example would be in the choices you made in order to become successful or not.

whereas you intelligence quotient, IQ, is more reflective of discerning abilities. having made the choices in life, you then figure out the rules neccessary in achieving those steps.

I do believe there should be a third quotient....one concerning will.
for having chosen the right path, having worked out the proper rules, i believe we then need to know just how much measure we have in accomplishing it.

i feel the world is a spectrum of wills. at one end, you have the ones who do everything for themselves and others without having to be told and at the other you find those who have to be told and encouraged to move to get on with it.
0 Replies