Meaning of sentences

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2021 10:18 am
1. I slept late last night.
Does it mean that I went to bed late last night?

2. I slept early last night.
Does it mean that I went to bed early last night?

Thanks!

hightor

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2021 10:27 am
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
1. I slept late last night.
Does it mean that I went to bed late last night?

No. The sentence makes sense under certain conditions, but it doesn't mean you went to bed late last night.
Quote:
2. I slept early last night.
Does it mean that I went to bed early last night?

No. Again, someone might say that if they were having difficulty sleeping. Their doctor might ask, "Did you sleep at all last night?" and they might answer, "Yes, I slept early last night but awoke around midnight and didn't sleep after that."
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2021 12:19 pm
Thanks, hightor!

Does "I slept late" mean I woke up late?
And does "I slept early" mean I woke up early?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2021 12:41 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

Thanks, hightor!

Does "I slept late" mean I woke up late?

The expression, "I slept late" almost always means that the person making the statement stayed in bed longer than usual. It is a thought that might better be expressed, "I stayed in bed asleep to a later hour than usual." But most English speakers would easily understand "I slept late" to mean that.

Quote:
And does "I slept early" mean I woke up early?

I've never heard anyone say, "I slept early." It might mean, "I went to bed early last night." It also might mean, "I went to bed at my usual time, but instead of tossing and turning, I fell asleep quickly."

I doubt most English speakers would ever use, "I slept early."
izzythepush

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2021 02:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Agree with Frank.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2021 10:35 pm
@tanguatlay,
It means one slept early or late in the previous night. It can be perceived using the reader's preference.

If one sleeps late it is likely they got up late also, and if one sleeps early it is likely they got up early.

The sentences have enough elements to be generally understood.

They are not precise or detailed but they are specific enough to get the gist.

Though not all complete sentences have clarity and clarity should generally be a prerequisite for what a sentence is comprised of.

By allowing sentences without clarity then sentences can become figures of speech where the hearer must interpret their true meaning.

Complete sentences can be vague enough to be ambiguous, this is a form of creative writing.

I went to bed late (for what)?

That is the figure of speech, emphasis by omission. "Paralipsis"
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Meaning of sentences
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 10:31:39