Which Dead Writer Would You Most Like To Meet?

larry richette

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:52 am
Dorothy Parker would be entertaining if she were sober. She and I share a birthday, which is probably why I have a malicious wit. Capote declined sharply in his later years so I'm not sure whether he'd be good company. Scott Fitzgerald by all accounts was rather dull in person, especially in later life. I'm a little surprised that the only writers you folks seem to know are relatively recent and Americans. There's centuries and a world of writers out there, guys!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 11:08 am
Lol, D'artagnan...nope, not since then, perhaps just forgot he passed on. P.S., love your foie gras products Wink www.dartagnan.com

I think Chaucer would have been a fun guy to hang with, good sense of humour it seems...probably smelled though, like most of them medieval types.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 11:31 am
Ah, I had asked to meet with Marcus Aurelius.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 01:08 pm
Indeed you did Ossobuco. I always thought of you as a man of rare taste--as your name indicates, since ossobuco is one of my favorite Italian dishes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 01:54 pm
I understand osso is a dish in more ways than one! LOL c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 07:57 pm
CI is telling you that I am actually a woman, despite the apparent maleness of my nom de plume. Why I ever picked that name, long ago...was about the sound of the word, and from sentiment about being in Modena, Italy when I had that dish. My choice had to do with my picking italian words for passwords, etc. and less to do with being a mad ossobuco (braised veal dish from no. italy, as you know) maven. I have now had the dish three times. Once, perfetto, in Modena. Once in Santa Monica at chic restaurant, and once at someone's home in Napa, using lamb. I loved the first and the third.

But I am a not quite vegetarian, who prefers to eat whatever meat I do eat from wisely, humanely run ranches. This, plus the clear male ending to the word, must have people all over a2k misapprehending me. Ah, well, so it goes.

In any case, I have had the name so long and used it to post so many times, the name is me and I am it, as it were.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 08:10 pm
I read a biography of Dorothy Parker a number of years ago. It wasn't a book of laughter, and I agree that meeting her would best be arranged at some prime time, for her and myself. I wouldn't want to just stand there, quipless. I suppose I would like the meeting to be in the comfort of the Algonquin of old, and I might have a virtual Manhattan cocktail myself. Gee, if that was then, I could even smoke. I used to smoke menthol cigarettes, which I would guess they didn't have in her day, but I insist. Of course I would be wearing my glasses.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:37 pm
FYI, "cicerone" is also a Italian word. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:40 pm
c.i., is that from the Italian side of the family :wink: Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:45 pm
is that a big Cicero?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:46 pm
ah, I looked it up, it means a guide. Didn't Hell have a cicerone? (Long time since I have been there....)
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 11:08 pm
Ossobuco, Dante had the poet Virgil for a guide to his Inferno. Otherwise so far as I know the damned are on their own when they hit Hell.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 10:33 am
True, Larry. Perhaps I remember the word from an excerpt in Italian. That is fairly likely, as I took seven quarters of italian about a decade ago.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 12:22 pm
I looked up the word "cicerone" in my OED and it seems the etymology is from the Italian, which in turn takes the word from Cicero, the Roman statesman. The word means a guide to antiquities, but I suppose it could be extended to any sort of guide.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 12:36 pm
For sheer witty entertainment, I'd like to meet Lord Byron, Oscar Wilde, Dorothy Parker, Robert Benchley, Mark Twain, and Evelyn Waugh. What a dinner table they would all make!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 08:59 pm
cavfancier considers changing name to vincotto balsimico, or perhaps chiccharon...Wink
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:14 pm
Cavfancier, you should let us know when you change your name, not before.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:27 pm
Lewis Carroll - not only are Through the Looking Glass and Alice in Wonderland my favorites, but any man that can think those stories up has to be interesting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:48 pm
cicerone con salsa
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 02:26 pm
Thomas Wolfe
0 Replies