Which Dead Writer Would You Most Like To Meet?

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 09:32 am
If that's your idea of grace and patience, you must have been born on another planet.

95% of the things you say everywhere on A2K is negative and condescending. Like your crap doesn't stink, and you can barely stand to be of the same species.

You don't intimidate me.

If you don't like what I say, tough.

Let's talk about George Eliot.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:07 am
Chai Tea wrote:
If that's your idea of grace and patience, you must have been born on another planet.

95% of the things you say everywhere on A2K is negative and condescending. Like your crap doesn't stink, and you can barely stand to be of the same species.

You don't intimidate me.

If you don't like what I say, tough.

I am not trying to intimidate you. I don't play that sort of game and you do.

I try to ignore what you say, until you attack me, as you did on this thread.

As for negative and condescending: you're the expert.

When a friend of mine proposed writing a thesis on George Eliot at Harvard, her thesis director gave her a reading list that included German philosophy and more. It took her a year to get through it. As she later said, "In no way was I prepared to write on Eliot. I had so much to learn."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:43 am
so apparantly what you type here is a result of automatic writing from the spirit realm....

have you ever actually LOOKED at the stuff you write?

or are you truly convinced you're actually pleasant?

good night nurse.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:49 am
Chai Tea wrote:
so apparantly what you type here is a result of automatic writing from the spirit realm....

have you ever actually LOOKED at the stuff you write?

or are you truly convinced you're actually pleasant?

good night nurse.

This, like the sum of what you write, is meaningless. What a non sequitor. Grow up. You began attacking me and you are continuing. I have been ignoring you.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:22 pm
Miller wrote:
Dartagnan wrote:
Miller wrote:
Joyce and his daughter: I read an article in the NYTimes Book Review, about a book about his daughter, and in this review mention was made of an alleged incestous relationship between Joyce and his daughter, or between his son and his daughter.

I read the same review. The author of the book under review pushed for the idea that Lucia was a big influence on her father's writing. I also recall reading that her parents weren't happy about her being a modern dancer.

As for incest, I guess you can speculate all you want. It's a nasty charge, though, to mention lightly.

Why did the author of this review make the charge?

Who said the reviewer made the charge?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:36 pm
Sister Hilda, who once wrote me a letter telling me to return to school and admonishing me that if I thought I could make a living playing my guitar, singing and telling jokes I was sadly mistaken. Laughing
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:26 pm
James Baldwin, Langston Hughes, Ralph Ellison, Arthur Miller, John Steinbeck.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:22 pm
Dartagnan wrote:
Miller wrote:
Dartagnan wrote:
Miller wrote:
Joyce and his daughter: I read an article in the NYTimes Book Review, about a book about his daughter, and in this review mention was made of an alleged incestous relationship between Joyce and his daughter, or between his son and his daughter.

I read the same review. The author of the book under review pushed for the idea that Lucia was a big influence on her father's writing. I also recall reading that her parents weren't happy about her being a modern dancer.

As for incest, I guess you can speculate all you want. It's a nasty charge, though, to mention lightly.

Did you read the review?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:23 pm
Miller wrote:
Dartagnan wrote:
Miller wrote:
Dartagnan wrote:
Miller wrote:

Yes--and I recently reread it online. There's one sentence in which the reviewer says that the author of the book hints at brother-sister incest. Nothing about father-daughter...

Did you read the review?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:40 am
I would like to meet that person who wrote Le Morte D'Arthur under the name Sir Thomas Malory. But not because I admire him!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:41 am
My favorite historian: Georges Duby.
0 Replies