Nachtwache meines Daseyns

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 07:10 am
Kierkegaard: The translators of the Princeton paperback either/or vol. I seem not to know that “Du bist vollbracht, Nachtwache meines Daseyns” (p 35) is Droysen’s translation of a fragment of Aeschylus. Is this well known? ought the fact to be published?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 505 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 08:07 am
@Jedothek ,
The translation by Michelsen/Gleiß* (1885) says: Mein Leben ist wie eine ewige Nacht. Sterbe ich einmal, so kann ich mit Achilles sagen: "Du bist vollbracht, Nachtwache meines Daseins.".

Wilhelm von Humboldt translated Aeschylus earlier than Droysen as well as a couple others (more or less successfully).

I think that a translator only should be mentioned if her/his translation differs significantly from others.

*Otto Gleiß translated works from Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and French, among others by Zacharias Topelius, Meïr Aron Goldschmidt and Sophus Heegaard. His translation of Søren Kierkegaard's "Entweder - Oder" (1885, with Alexander Michelsen) made the Danish philosopher accessible to wider circles, after interest in Germany had only been aroused in 1879 by Georg Brandes' book "Sören Kierkegaard - ein literarisches Charakterbild".

Jedothek

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2021 01:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you; but I was not so much asking WHICH translator ought to be credited; what I failed to make explicit in my question was that neither Kierkegaard nor the translators give ANY citation, not Aeschylus, nor Gleiss, nor Michelsen nor Droysen nor anyone else, though the translators include almost 20 pages of notes. This gives the impression that the translators don't know where the sentence is from; and hence prompted my question whether the source of the sentence ought to be published, for example, in a paper.
0 Replies