Does anyone understand Kierkegaard despair and three modes of existence?

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 12:05 am
Can someone explain Kierkegaard's despair and the three mode of existence?

I'm having trouble with Philosophy. I have to take the course. I'm a honor student but philosophy is the only one that gives me trouble. I'm doing so bad in it.

I'm looking for where he talks about the aesthetic, ethical, and religious stages. I see that he mentions them in Sickness unto death and somewhat in Fear and Trembling.

But I really have no idea what he's saying most of the time.

I'm googling it, but I when I go back to the text, I don't see anything about why someone would move from stage to stage.

I know why, but only after reading some notes online. I can't find Kierkegaard saying it in his texts. Isn't he supposed to tell us why in Fear and Trembling, and Sickness unto Death?

I'm searching for him to also discuss the three modes but he only seems to really talk about despair.

Maybe if someone answered this: how does despair relate to the modes of existence? I would understand it better and reread the text.

I know what the modes of existence are but I need to know why he talks about them alongside despair.

fresco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 08:43 am
@chenko309,
As I understand it, these modes of existence are semi-autobiographical with respect to the realization/recognition of what he concludes is the "true purpose of self".
The first stage is a "sowing wild oats"/ hedonistic: the second is conformity to societal norms in consideration of others: the third is transcendent of particular societies towards a concept of universal "goodness"/God.
The Wiki article on "Kirkegaard Despair" looks like a good synopsis of that aspect , "despair" being the result of not conforming to one's "God given" purpose (stage 3).
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 09:59 am
I wonder what ignoramus voted this thread down when Fresco's reply is correct (and I disagree with Fresco a lot)...I suspect some traumatized people as soon they hear the word "God" immediately vote the thread down...
chenko309

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 03:34 pm
@fresco,
Thanks but I know the three stages are. But I need to use quotes from the readings that was assigned to me.

The problem is, I can't find where he actually discusses why someone would move from stage to stage even thought I read Fear and Trembling, and Sickness unto death. I'm so to use only the readings from the text which doesn't include his work, Either/Or.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 04:47 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I wonder what ignoramus voted this thread down when Fresco's reply is correct (and I disagree with Fresco a lot)...I suspect some traumatized people as soon they hear the word "God" immediately vote the thread down...

There are some people who will vote down any thread tagged "philosophy" and will give a "thumbs down" to anything bearing Fresco's signature. Obviously I'm not one of them but there you are.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:58 am
@chenko309,
I would have thought that "logically" the movement from stage to stage was instigated by the ""divine calling", and the dissatisfaction/despair was a result of resistance to that leading to a superficial existence. I have not read K directly but I know that K was a major influence on Heidegger who was big on "authenticity" which was a desireable possibility resulting from the unique ability of a Dasein(human being) to examine itself.
0 Replies