Did You Know...

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2021 02:59 pm
Here are some titles picked by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette for their Annual All-Time Best of the Worst Country Song Titles:

Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye.

Mama Get the Hammer (There's a Fly on Papa's Head)

You're the Reason Our Kids are So Ugly

If You See Me Getting' Smaller, It's Cause I'm Leavin' You

You Stuck My Heart in an Old Tin Can and Shot It Off a Log

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2021 04:42 pm
One of eleven children born to Charles and Maria Sax, Adolphe was an extremely accident prone youth who barely made it to adulthood. At three he fell three floors down bashing his head on the stone floor at the bottom. He drank a bowl of acidic water believing it was milk. He swallowed and subsequently passed a large needle. He flew across his fathers workshop and was burned badly when a barrel of gunpowder exploded. He fell upon a hot cast-iron pan on a stove burning his side. He frequently slept in a room where varnished furniture was drying, somehow avoiding poisoning and asphyxiation. He was hit in the head with a slate roof tile while walking down the street. He fell in a river and nearly drowned.
Then this same child, who some force was failing miserably to unalive, grew up and had the audacity to invent the saxophone.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2022 06:19 pm
Odd factoid dept.: Henry Kissinger is scheduled to turn 100 on May 27.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 09:16 am
Correction, re the above: He will be 99.

Just read that there is not one bridge over the Amazon River.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2022 08:16 am
The song Sandy sung by John Travolta in Grease was originally intended to be sung by Nehru in the biopic of Ghandi, but they decided against it because it's not a bloody musical, and Nehru never felt like that about Ghandi.

Barry Manilow's song Mandy was also originally about Ghandi but Manilow had to change the lyrics when it emerged that Manilow had never even met Ghandi, let alone sent him away.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 08:34 am
Total combined population of the North American colonies in 1610: 350.

Bottle-nosed whales can dive 3,000 ft in 2 minutes.

When you use your car's brakes, they generate enough heat to warm your house.

Snails have teeth.

Second most-published playwright in history (after Shakespeare) - Neil Simon.

Hawaii's state fish: humuhumunukunukuapua'a

In the 1500s, England's Queen Elizabeth I outlawed wife beating after 10 p.m.

Sheep snore.

Your body gies off enough heat in 30 minutes to bring half a gallon of water to a boil.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 08:38 am
Dumb jocks:

Our similarities are different - Dale Berra on his father.

Three things are bad for you. I can't remember the first two, but doughnuts are the third - Bill Peterson

Tony Gwynn was named player of the year for April - Ralph Kliner

I just talked to the doctor. He told me her contraptions were an hour apart - Mickey Sasser, on his wife's pregnancy

His reputation preceded him before he got here - Don Mattingly

What would I do that for? It only gets Spanish stations - Jeff Stone on why he wouldn't bring his TV back to the US after playing in Venezuela
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 08:54 am
@Mame,
Over here Jock is a term for Scot. As in "Giz a tune there Jock."
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 09:18 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Over here Jock is a term for Scot. As in "Giz a tune there Jock."

Yanks are called Yanks in England. Yanks refer to English people as Blokes. Gender did not matter. We would say, "He married a bloke chick." (Or bird.)

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 10:08 am
Looney Laws:

In Macomb, Illinois, it's illegal for a car to impersonate a wolf. (??)

In Rumford, Maine, it's illegal to bite your landlord.

It's against the law in Atlanta, Georgia, to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.
cherrie

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 04:55 pm
@Mame,
Wombats are the 0nly animal in the world that does cube shaped poop.
Mame

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 12:00 pm
@cherrie,
Rabbits and hares beat this problem with a special kind of digestion called hindgut fermentation. In short, they eat their own poop and digest it a second time. ... It's very important for a rabbit's digestive system to keep moving fluidly, as they need to re-ingest their cecotropes in order to get the nutrients they need.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 01:20 pm
@Mame,
One of the few rabbit phrases in Richard Adam's Watership Down is Silflay hraka, or eat ****.

Used as an insult, Adams fortunately doesn't examine the subject in much depth.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 05:43 pm
I saw this and although I'm posting it I intend to check into it more.

In the 1920s, the Radium Girls were hired by factories to cover glow-in-the-dark watches with luminous paint. A glamorous job for an irresistibly popular product, the Girls didn't know that they were working with a substance that would kill them.
Radium Girls were instructed to wet their paintbrushes with their lips to create a fine point for detailed work, ingesting poison with each stroke. The radium slowly ate away at their bodies. One by one, their bones began cracking and falling apart.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Did You Know...
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:33:12