Did You Know...

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 01:33 pm
@Mame,
The Japanese do a whisky too. It’s very highly regarded, teams of Japanese studied in Scotland to make sure it’s a single malt and has no e.

Scotland, England and Japan have whisky.

The USA and Ireland have whiskey.
Mame

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 01:34 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm going to listen to it... do you think it was rated correctly?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 01:37 pm
@Mame,
Whisky, btw, shares its ultimate origins with the Germanic "water".

Mame

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 01:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I was going to ask you, other than beer, the oldest drink in Germany. Hey Walter, years ago a friend took me to a 7th century fort somewhere close (about an hour away) to Bayreuth. Do you happen to know of it? I can't remember the name. I'm going to google it and see if I can find it. The tunnel was so low I felt like ducking like everyone else but I didn't have to. The door to the tunnel had axe marks at my shoulder and I'm 5'1 or 2".
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 01:40 pm
@Mame,
I love Otway, but I don’t think any objective listener would say he had written the seventh best song of the entire millennium.

People were having fun. Otway is a genuinely really nice bloke, he has a very large fanbase. People like me who will buy one of his singles if it comes out just to see if we can move it up the charts.

He’s not exactly prolific, so it’s no great cost financially.

On youtube there’s a clip of him on Never Mind The Buzzcocks which is very funny.
Mame

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 01:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Well, I listened to it and agree with you. Then I read the lyrics and they make no sense to me. Perhaps not understanding British vernacular? I'd give it a 3/10, lol
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 01:52 pm
@Mame,
I don’t think you’re meant to understand them.

I just love the way he delivers the chorus line, it’s like he’s completely run out of ideas, the sort of crap you spout when you’re drunk.

It’s the opposite of trying to sound clever.

He does a very good Yorkshire version of Space Odyssey.

His shows are fantastic, just him, or him and Wild Willy jumping around with such energy.

When I saw him at the Joiners he stuck his first through a ceiling tile by accident. He stopped, and looked a bit sheepish before continuing.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 02:01 pm
Did you know that the generally agreed upon finest, most challenging golf course in the entire world...

...is located in New Jersey, USA?

Pine Valley Golf Course!

Yeah, occasionally it gets beat by one of the other great courses, but it most often holds that position.
Mame

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 02:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks for clearing that up for me Smile He sounds like a nice bloke.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 02:06 pm
The world's termites outweigh the world's humans 10:1.

"Tug of War" was an Olympic event between 1900 and 1920.

While performing her duties as queen, Cleopatra sometimes wore a fake beard

Pound for pound, hamburgers cost more than new cars.

Thomas Edison invented wax paper.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 02:10 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes, I've read about Japanese whiskey. Apparently someone official gave Mike Pompeo a $58,000 which he never received (and couldn't keep anyway). They're still looking for it, ha ha
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2021 11:07 am
The U.S. south Alaska from Russia in 1867 for 2 cents and acre.

70% of the world's oxygen supply is produced by marine plants.

A cubic yard of air weighs about 2 lbs.

Louis XIV bathed once a year.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2021 11:58 am
@Mame,
I think Louis was diligent and did it whether he needed it or not.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2021 12:05 pm
@Mame,
Because I've been today in a neighbour town (actually, the town borders are only a few hundred metres away), which formerly was ...

... an independent state (earldom) of the Holy Roman Empire until it became mediatised in 1807 ...

In 1822, the last prince (and earl), Aloys von Kaunitz-Rietberg, sold the county - by then an allodified fief - to a bourgeois merchant (who actually was a progressive/early democrat). As a non-aristocrat, however, he was not granted any rights of nobility.
In a compromise, he received the count's landed property (to this day thereby an industrial family Tenge-Rietberg), the title of nobility fell through hereditary claims to the House of Liechtenstein (Prince of Liechtenstein, Duke of Troppau, Duke of Jägerndorf, Count of Rietberg).
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2021 12:50 pm
All mammals larger than rats take the same amount of time to urinate, about 21 seconds.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2021 12:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Pine Valley Golf Course!

Have you ever golfed there?
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2021 01:07 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Pine Valley Golf Course!

Have you ever golfed there?

No. I have friends who have...and they say it is amazing. But it is one of the most difficult courses in the world.

Give it a look by Googling it. It is impressive.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2021 02:05 pm
OMG, it is SO cheap to golf there! Holy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2021 05:27 am
Cheap ... in the world's oldest social housing project, the Fuggerei, the fee for a tour into the Fuggerei is over seven times the annual rent. (Not this week, because visiting is free due to the 500th anniversary.)

The same rent that was established in 1521 still goes. Residents have to pay one Rhenish guilder, which is the equivalent to 88 cents ($1) today.
However, in addition, three daily prayers for Fugger and his family are required.
Mame

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2021 06:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's so cool. One couldn't really have a family there, though, with one bedroom and a small spare room. I guess if you lived in an upper unit you could put your kids in the attic. I'd pay the 6.50 euro to take the tour.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Did You Know...
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:30:35