Would you cancel a vacation because of miles put on your car?

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 07:01 am
My wife and I are currently in a discussion about a possible upcoming vacation. We like to take road trips but my wife feels that since I have the larger vehicle we should always take my SUV. The last time we took her car anywhere was a trip we went on several years ago. Since then my truck has been on the last 3 or 4 road tips. We were planning on going to FL from NC to spend some time with her family and when I mentioned that we are taking her car this time she got all angry with me saying she doesn't want to put all those miles on her car. Her car is actually newer than mine and I maintain all the vehicles. Since her car is smaller than my SUV the money we'd save on gas would be better, coupled with the fact that the AC in my truck isn't working at the moment due to a leak in the condenser. A shop has quoted me $900 to start so the could to repair it could go even higher. I told my wife that getting the AC fixed at this point is not a priority given that we can use her car with AC. She is refusing to go on the vacation because she said she doesn't want to put all those miles on her car. Last time I check, cars were meant to be driven. You can't just always ride with someone to keep your mileage low. Another reason she wants to take my SUV is because she know I'll probably do most if not all of the driving. That way she can just relax in the passenger seat and scroll through Facebook the entire 8 hour trip. She must think I don't mind putting all those miles on my truck.

Would you cancel a vacation simply because you didn't want to put all those miles on your car?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 903 • Replies: 22

engineer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 07:09 am
@Barry2021,
No, especially with no AC from Florida to NC. With what you save from not going on vacation, you can fix the AC.
Barry2021

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 07:33 am
@engineer,
True, I'm not focusing on the AC at this point. Yeah, it's Aug and we probably only got a few more months of above average temps. I'm not making it a priority this year. I'll focus on it early next year when it may cost less to fix. I feel like now that it's hot repair shops are charging more since people need their AC so they're willing to pay whatever it costs to fix. My wife just feels that her car is just so precious that she can't put any additional, unnecessary miles on it. My truck is the big SUV and may be a better ride with more room so let's just keep driving my truck. Gas mileage is a lot better on hers but she doesn't want the miles on it. I don't know many people who buy a car but don't want to drive it to keep the miles low.
engineer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 07:42 am
@Barry2021,
If money is tight enough that you are putting off the AC repair (you are in Florida in the summer without AC!), definitely take the car that needs less gas and my guess is needs much less gas. We are probably talking your car needing 80 gallons round trip, hers needing 30. We're talking $150 difference. What that is worth is up to you. As for miles, there is an argument that says that if your truck is fully depreciated and has lots of miles, a few more aren't a big deal. I'm not really on board with that, cars are meant for driving IMO. That leaves comfort. I'm all about being in a comfortable car on a long trip. Which is more comfortable is up to you. Driving in the sun in the South can get very uncomfortable without AC even later in the year. I guess there is a reliability argument as well. You really don't want to breakdown somewhere far from home and a newer car should be more reliable.

However, this feels like a power play between the two of you so I doubt any of this matters.
hightor

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 07:44 am
@Barry2021,
Highway driving puts less wear and tear on your car than stop-and-go local driving does. Mileage, of and by itself, isn't really a problem with modern cars; the type of driving is more important. And why would anyone prefer a large vehicle on a long trip? A sedan is much more comfortable, and as you say, more economical as well.
Barry2021

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 07:51 am
@engineer,
It's not as much about a power play than it is a selfish move on my wife's behalf. She knows I'm probably not going to let her drive my SUV. Running to the store down the street is one thing. Or moving it out of the driveway so you can get your car in. But to be taxes with driving it several hours on the open highway I'm just not ready for her to do that she doesn't drive my truck that much. And money is not that big of an issue but I guess I've gone this far into the summer, I'd just rather wait to get it fixed. And yes, I'm with you, cars are meant to be driven so my wife saying she doesn't want all the miles on her car is ridiculous. But on the flip side, my mother went out about 18 years ago about bought a brand new model year Honda Accord and to present she has less than 70k miles on it. Last I checked I think she was pushing 65k or 68k miles. Now she's one who just never drives. Like the typical old lady who only drove it to the grocery store to to church on Sunday, that's my mom.
0 Replies

Barry2021

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 08:02 am
@hightor,
A while back I discussed with my with that we would alternate road trips and which car we drive. We take mine once then hers the next. Last time we took hers was several years ago and mine has been on the last 3 trips straight. When she says we're not taking her car, WE'RE NOT TAKING HER CAR! I've been tempted to just cancel some trips myself but to keep the arguing down I went ahead and drove my truck. But I refused to go to FL in my truck with no AC given that her car, again, which is the newer smaller car, hasn't even been out of our state since she bought it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 08:04 am
@Barry2021,
Me, no I would not seems a bit extreme.

Curious - is her car leased? That would be the only reason I would be concerned about additional miles - a leased car you have limited miles or else you need to pay a large fee depending on how much you go over the miles.

Another option (although not good right now due to the high prices) is to rent a car. I've done that before when I know I am going to put on a lot of miles; but I do make sure I am getting a good price for the rental== but FL to NC does not seem that bad (again depending where you go in FL and if you are going to drive a lot once you get to FL).
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 08:11 am
@Linkat,
After reading all this - if you really want to go on the vacation - and it seems it as much that she does not want to drive - offer that you will drive all of it or the majority of it.

Funny when my husband and I go for a long road trip - I always offer to drive but unless he is really tired he never wants me to drive (not that I drive poorly) - it is just he likes to be doing something and not just sitting there.

Another thought is - since you probably would be saving the gas money - (to me this seems a bit weird because as a couple we pretty much equally share our money) - but offer to give her $50 for the mileage -

to me the whole thing seems pretty weird as I would think as a couple you both want to lower the cost and have the comfort of the trip and overall it seems that using her car would fit it for both of you.
engineer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 08:27 am
@Linkat,
We always take my wife's really comfortable car and she likes to drive, but she yells at traffic.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 08:29 am
Looks like she has put her foot down, and so have you, so I'm guessing you're not going to be going anywhere. I don't understand how two so-stubborn people can enjoy living together. You guys fight about the tiniest issues. Who's washing her car, for example. Would you even enjoy the drive together or would you argue about where to stop to eat, what gas station to go to, which radio station to listen to?
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 08:33 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Looks like she has put her foot down, and so have you, so I'm guessing you're not going to be going anywhere. I don't understand how two so-stubborn people can enjoy living together. You guys fight about the tiniest issues. Who's washing her car, for example. Would you even enjoy the drive together or would you argue about where to stop to eat, what gas station to go to, which radio station to listen to?

Oh my gosh I did not think about that - yes it sounds like a horrible trip - isn't going on vacation supposed to be relaxing? I cannot imagine to be in a car with these two if the bickering is as constant as it seems it would be.
Mame

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 08:49 am
@Linkat,
It boggles my mind that they still live together. I think their lives must be very unpleasant.
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 01:47 pm
@Mame,
back in the erly days we would either fly or, if we wnted to be among the folks, we would rent a car.THey used to be really economical an anything went wrong, theyd come an get the thing and give you anothr. We movd to Califin an Avis truck and it was trubble free.
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 02:42 pm
@farmerman,
Car rentals are extremely expensive right now - there is a shortage of cars due to some chip manufactured overseas that is impacting the cars - my mom needed a new car and we had to buy one before it was even at the dealership because they did not have any (at least of the model we wanted). Supposedly due to covid.
Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 05:00 pm
Here’s a thought: instead of a vacation why not book some marriage counseling’? This all ; this and other posts) seems like chronic power struggles. Can’t be too much fun.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 05:19 pm
@Barry2021,
I have difficulty understanding how something trivial and materialistic gets in the way of happiness.

To your question, heck no. You two sound like a vacation is in order.
0 Replies

VABGirl

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 06:03 pm
I guess you dont have enough money to rent a car? I know for me i have a 2010 honda accord with alot of miles. I wouldnt trust it on a long trip. Obviously a rental could be a bit expensive.
0 Replies

VABGirl

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 06:04 pm
@Linkat,
that answers my idea. A rental might be too expensive.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 08:19 pm
Why not take Amtrak (or fly if you prefer), then rent a car for local driving once you reach your destination?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Would you cancel a vacation because of miles put on your car?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.28 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:20:54