You must be at least this tall.....

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:39 pm
I think I've created a monster.

I took Mo to a lovely little local amusement park today. They have a roller coaster appropriate for smallish kids.

He adored it. True love. This is what he'd been waiting for all his life.

We rode it at least ten times, twice around each time, hands up, screaming.

He looked longingly at the bigger coaster. He begged. He pleaded.

I was saved by the "You must be at least this tall" sign.

I'm fine on a kiddie coaster, not so fine on more adult ones. Mr. B refuses to step on one of the infernal contraptions.

Do you love roller coasters?

Even the really super nasty ones?

I watch the Discovery channel. I know you coaster nuts are out there.

Fill me in on your coaster love.

Help me stop being such a sissy.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,776 • Replies: 43
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:18 pm
Can't answer. I'm too short.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:40 pm
I'm a pu$$y when it comes to anything with heights. I can do some roller coasters...but last summer I went to an amusement park with my then gf, and I sat and watched as she went on this ride where they just catapult you straight up, then you drop and do it again a few times. I was all set.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:00 am
Oddly, I was expecting something more on the lines of midgets and roller coasters.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 03:36 am
I don't do amusement parks at all. There is no good reason for me to even enter one.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:26 am
Okay then! Perhaps I'm not such a sissy after all.

I usually don't go to amusement parks either but I had always wanted to see this one. It has been sitting on the same lbeautiful land right on the bank of the Willamette for 100 years and they have an old dance pavillion and roller rink and picnic grounds. It is really very charming -- especially when contrasted to the surly and bored ride operators.

I kind of like the rides that spin you around but I don't like anything that goes upside down.

I know someday I'll want to take Mo to Disneyland and I imagine they have a few upside down things.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:33 am
http://buy.overstock.com/images/products/muze/books/0811834409.jpg
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:37 am
I am not good with heights or rapid speed so roller coasters are not on my list of things to do. I get nervous even watching films with roller coaster scenes even though the outcome is already known to be perfectly safe.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:50 am
I can't do drops. Wooden roller coasters are a definite no. Ones the strap you in and go upside down, I can do. Don't know why.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:50 am
I went to Canada's Wonderland once for a company dinner and fireworks show. Of course, it was at night and we had free time between dinner and the fireworks. My wife and another couple decided that it would be nice to go on a roller coaster. They have several different ones. So we board this seemingly gentle and inoffensive machine and start out on the ride. Well, let me tell you.... This sucker went up and it went down, it went in and it went out, it went upside down and inside out. I have never gone on a roller coaster since and I will likely never go on one again.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:51 am
When I was really little (maybe 4 or 5) my parents put me on a kiddie roller coaster at the boardwalk. The ride was packed with other little kids my age.

The biggest drop was probably 4 feet, at a really shallow incline.

Still, I freaked out, screaming and crying as soon as the ride started.
The operator stopped the ride after 1 pass - I guess it was supposed to go around 3 or 4 times, to come over to comfort me.

At least, that's what all the waiting parents thought.
He leaned over me, pulled my seatbelt tighter and said "If you don't shut the hell up, I'm gonna leaving you on this roller coaster all night long"

I don't care for roller coasters that much.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:51 am
YEAH GUS? WHAT ARE YOU SUGGESTING? WHY I OUGHTA...... YOU LAZY NO GOOD HAT WEARING FARM BOY!

Oh baby. I'm sorry. Com'mer and let me give you a hug.

Hi Sturgis, welcome to A2K!

Safe, yes. Perfectly safe, I'm not so sure.

I think it is the controlled fear aspect that makes people who like them, like them.

For me, the park's Lewis and Clark Big Adventure spook house was controlled fear enough. I was freaking.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:52 am
My first...

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~mvnak/Flo1/5_Jan/slides/hulk_roller_coaster_3.JPG
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:57 am
Wow. Some bad coaster experiences here!

Even looking at that thing makes me queasy, Bella.

Mo hadn't quite hit the height limit but it gave the option of riding with a parent (me). It was really a pretty decent coaster with drops and twists and air grabbing bumps. By about the 5th time around Mo, taking a cue from the bigger kids, was holding his hands in the air and laughing his head off.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 08:54 am
I prefer the spinning rides, but I like roller coasters. The only thing I'm not ready to try is the Drop Zone kinda thing.

I've already got my Ride-All-Day tickets for the Exhibition in late August. Goin' with my best friend from high school and her kids. We LOVE rides. And ice cream waffles. We've worked up quite a few rituals in nearly 35 years of going to the Ex together.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:22 am
I should have known you were a thrill seeker, eBeth, since you are so thrilling yourself.

You tradition sounds wonderful. I love rituals.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:29 am
I also have a fear of heights, however, I love roller coasters. I think because you are moving so fast I don't get the chance to get so frightened of the height. I do get terrified as we slowly approach the first big drop and tend to scream the entire way up. Then the drop and the feeling is so incredible. As soon as the ride ends I want to go again. And the cycle continues.

Funny that the slow moving Ferris Wheel is one ride I really don't like. It is definitely the height thing. Friends love to make the car move for me when I reach the top as I scream bloody murder and turn white.

I think I will go on almost anything besides free falls and things that are like one huge drop from high up - my fear of heights really prevents me from trying those sorts of things.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:40 am
I think part of what I like about the rides is that it's one of the few times in life that it's really acceptable to scream like a maniac and laugh like a hyena. Very Happy

One of my friend's kids says it's best to go on rides with me cuz it's a guarantee of a longer ride - usually ride operators appreciate my very vocal appreciation and hit the joy stick a couple of extra times. ::big grin::

<and doesn't everyone love the Merry-Go-Round?>
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:42 am
This kid was on a coaster although he did not meet the height restriction.

http://www.traffordcentre.co.uk/images/15648_1_38223.5047800926.jpg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:57 am
ehBeth wrote:
I think part of what I like about the rides is that it's one of the few times in life that it's really acceptable to scream like a maniac and laugh like a hyena. Very Happy

It isn't ok to do at the grocery store? Hm. No wonder I get strange looks.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » You must be at least this tall.....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 11:59:34