Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:45 am
I have two miniature dachsunds, one that is only 8 weeks old, and the other is an adult. My full grown dog seems to get dry flaky skin, he is black, so I can see it on his coat and he scratches it quite often. He was at the vet for a check up earlier this week, and the dry skin is not bad enough to need medical attention, but I would like to find a shampoo that will help his skin to not be so dry. Does anyone know of a good shampoo that would help with my dog's dry skin, as well as gentle enough to use on my 8 week old puppy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 923 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 02:35 pm
An oatmeal shampoo specifically formulated for dogs would probably work for both, but the puppy probably shouldn't be bathed yet.

I've got two double-coated dogs, and the vet says they shouldn't be bathed more than 4 -6 times a year. There's no need unless they get into something particularly nasty.

I use a tea tree oil spray on my male dog's skin - he is prone to dry skin on occasion. Seems to really relieve the itching that happens.
0 Replies

ASpoonBean

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:07 pm
Seriously? I have never heard that dogs should only get a bath 4 - 6 times per year, maybe it is different for different climates? I'm in the swamp
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:12 pm
I was actually talking to one of my neighbour's about this tonight. Four times a year is his vet's recommendation as well - again, unless the dog gets into something particular nasty. Too much washing is very hard on their skin. If you can just rinse them with some water to get dirt off - and then use something like the tea tree spray to keep their skin moist the critters will thank you.

Our other neighbour's mother started washing their Bichon Frise every couple of days - she wanted him to be fluffy all the time - he ended with some kind of fungal problem on his skin.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 11:46 am
^^ outside of the great suggestions above, we wash our huge sheepdog as much as once a week to once every 2 wks. If you knew how dirty they can get, you'd understand why we wash her so much. She has tons of hair that dries easily (her skin).

Anywho, we use linatone. You just put a little in their food every day (liquid), and let it do the rest. Coat is very shiny and skin is beautiful.

Also more tips:

Be sure you are really really rinsing off that shampoo. Result can be irritated/dry/or scalpy skin.

Are you using a conditioner? ESP. if you're washing them a lot. My other dog, a maltese is washed once a week, and conditioner is a must.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 12:17 pm
we found out bernard, my brittany spaniel, had bad allergies (boy does he take after me) and so his skin was flaking off alot. it looked like he had dandruff. vet gave us some meds and he is doing great. strangely he only gets it in the summer time. who knows? if the other solutions here don't work, they could be reacting to the shampoo ingredients maybe?
0 Replies