DO ATOMS LAST FOREVER???????

Mame

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2021 08:31 pm
I went on this thread to state (but not prove) unequivocally that Atoms Do Not Last Forever... only to find only the initial poster was the only one and I could not respond ... the bloody thread was LOCKED!!! How can this be a contentious thread?? What kind of hi-jacking is going on here on A2K?? I mean, it's about atoms and science! Hello?!

So... lol ... I dragged it over here, or really, started a new one.

DO ATOMS LAST FOREVER?

I think they can or do. And why not? Who is actually to say/prove that they do or do not??? Is it some dead German from the 1700s? Or Newton? Or Occam (not to be confused with Occam Bill)? Or Benjamin Franklin? No, no, it wouldn't be him.

And I don't want any real scientists (heads up to Engineer, Farmerman, etc) to derail this. No scientific stuff allowed, but all other whacko theories accepted.

Here's my argument that they can and do. DUST is as old as the dinosaurs (or even older) and you all know, anyone who's ever held a mop, that DUST never goes away. You could have dinosaur dust under your bed (and I know this how? because I read a book on dust for a Library thing, so now I'm an expert, having read the only book on dust I could find). So... if atoms are in dust (and I'm assuming they are, again, no scientific evidence on my part, but deductive reasoning is a great thing) and dust never goes away, then neither do atoms. Perhaps flawed reasoning from a scientist's perspective, but remember, we don't want any scientists on here debunking my theory... it stands to reason!

Go ahead and debunk my theory (remember, no scientists allowed, no serious stuff) or prove otherwise!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 789 • Replies: 29
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2021 09:40 pm
I think atoms just migrate around the universe, making new connections, leaving the old. The atoms in your ears might have been in Montana a few months ago. Or in romaine lettuce.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 01:34 am
Mame wrote:
I went on this thread to state (but not prove) unequivocally that Atoms Do Not Last Forever... only to find only the initial poster was the only one and I could not respond ... the bloody thread was LOCKED!!! How can this be a contentious thread?? What kind of hi-jacking is going on here on A2K?? I mean, it's about atoms and science! Hello?!

ALL threads started by this poster are locked almost immediately.

The logic behind locking their threads escapes me. If the moderators disagree with the opening posts somehow, locking them doesn't make them go away.

Removing the threads and/or suspending the poster could put a stop to these opening posts if they are somehow objectionable to the moderators, but they never seem to do that.

Before this person's threads started being locked, 99% of their threads were ignored by everyone and never received a subsequent post anyway. So again locking the threads makes no difference.

But a small number of their threads did provoke an interesting conversation among other posters. Locking all of their threads now prevents these interesting conversations from ever breaking out. And that's a shame.

There was one thread where I quickly posted a question asking why these threads are instantly locked, and I was quick enough to get my question posted before the thread was locked.

The moderators removed my question without comment when they came along and locked the thread.
mommabear

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 01:41 am
No. The atom bomb sort of proved that one...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 02:06 am
@Mame,
I’m going to say no.

Atoms are made up of subatomic particles quarks, protons, electrons, the like.

How those subatomic particles arrange themselves dictates what sort of element the atom will be.

Scientists are looking for new elements for the periodic table all the time, some are highly reactive and break down very quickly.

That means they had to be made using subatomic particles and that they are breaking down meaning the subatomic particles are no longer atoms.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 05:04 am
elements are all atoms, a few are unstable and do not stay as their original structure but decay into theirs stable en points and a few light elements can be changed by incredible energy and P/T conditions.

The applied science of physical chemistry operates as if atoms are immortal.
Ed had it correct, through time atoms may form entirly new bond couplets (Or posses) and their resultant molecules will be different.
As far as I am aware, Mendeleyev's periodic table is just as proportionately made up tday as it was in the Cretaceous . course "forever" aint over yet.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 10:36 am
@oralloy,
Thank you for clearing that up, Oralloy. Why don't they just ban the poster? Seems like less work than locking threads.
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 11:24 am
@Mame,
You're welcome.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the poster in the first place. But I've stopped trying to figure it out. It is a shame though that we lose the opportunity to for an occasional spontaneous discussion to break out in those threads.
Mame

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 11:37 am
@oralloy,
Nothing preventing you from starting your own, Oralloy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 11:50 am
@Mame,
I don’t know. I once asked about another science thread that had been blocked and it was a mistake, they soon unblocked it.

I don’t know, certain posters have been accused of posting pseudoscience and I don’t know enough about science or that poster to comment.

It could be that what they’re posting isn’t just wrong, it’s dangerous, but I don’t know, this is just speculation.
Mame

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 02:39 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks. I'm sure the mods have their reasons and they certainly don't have to explain themselves to the peanuts in the gallery.

I shouldn't have used so many ??? in the title - it's annoying me.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 02:43 pm
@Mame,
I understand.
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 04:38 am
@izzythepush,
there seems tto have been a diversion from the actual topic. Howbout we get back?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 06:04 am
@farmerman,
How about you start?

You’re the bloody scientist after all.
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 06:55 am
@farmerman,
I thought this thread was supposed to more humor and less science.

Mame wrote:
And I don't want any real scientists (heads up to Engineer, Farmerman, etc) to derail this. No scientific stuff allowed, but all other whacko theories accepted.
Mame wrote:
(remember, no scientists allowed, no serious stuff)
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 08:47 am
@izzythepush,
I already did. If you go up a few posts you will see my contribution. Atoms dont chnge , compounds do. When carbon oxidizes it releases CO and CO2 and (In a aqueous medium A series of non life based alcohols). The fact that unstable element exist doesnt deny that most elements have stable (permanent ) ions and atoms.
C has C12,C13, and several unstable ions, however we do know the approximate percenatge content within the universe We should all get a detailed copy ov Mendeleyevs table
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 08:53 am
@oralloy,
humor based upon incorrect assumption is always fun, but it must hve a base on reality or some flip of logic , Like the recent VIkings, Vkings, and IVkings posts.To me, now THAT'S funny .

Avogadro's concern also included Mames post (Although he abandoned humor for accuracy)
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 08:54 am
@farmerman,
I only read Mamses OP to the first paragraph and was taken aback that shed be so obtuse.I shoulda known it was all a joke.

Im quite proud of you all
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 09:23 am
@farmerman,
Is what you’re saying that while unstable elements decay, stable atoms are relatively permanent.

So a hydrogen atom created during the Big Bang will still be the same atom although it may be part of a molecule like water or peroxide.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 09:24 am
@farmerman,
Vikings used runes, not Roman numerals.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » DO ATOMS LAST FOREVER???????
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:06:55