What's cooking??

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 08:02 pm
What isn't cooking? I mentioned in the biography posts that you can't go wrong in libraries with bios and cookbooks. Here is the list of the latest cookbooks for me to catalogue...

Special occasion vegetarian
Classic Asian
Classic Greek
Classic Middle Eastern
Australian gourmet traveller food for friends
Spanish food
The Lebanese kitchen
The Indian cookbook
The complete Tuscan cookery book
Taste of Britain
Steam cuisine
Wraps, rolls and parcels
Super food ideas: winter favourites
Fire & spice
Getting the most from your microwave
Herb & spice: the cook’s reference
Passion: seductive food
Healthy pregnancy cookbook
Charmain Solomon’s Thai cookbook
The ultimate diabetes cookbook
Chocolate
Great seafood cookbook

However, as a class of borrowed items they don't exactly fly off the shelves. I'm of the opinion that inside every librarian there must be a frustrated chef.

Any takers? Any really good cookbooks you would recommend?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,537 • Replies: 6
No top replies

marycat

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 08:08 pm
Just about all my cookbooks are packed up for the move (along with everything else I own) but I have to say that many of my favorites are the basics. You learn and master the basics, the classics, the beginning recipes, and then you expand and create your own.

Julia Child's _The Way To Cook_ is superb.
Of course Escoffier is not even in a sealed box, so I can check him out every now and then. I can't stand to have him away for too long.
A book I was recently turned on to, _The Bread Baker's Apprentice_ is also just amazing. It takes professional level bread recipes and scales them down for the home cook, while keeping the narrative intelligent and not remotely dumbed-down. Great great book. From Johnson & Wales, the alma mater of one of my chef-instructors from school.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 08:13 pm
Jeez Mr Still...

Don't you have Bill Granger's Sydney Food -
http://thegoodwebguide.com/chan_food/topic.php3?art_id=001507

and the new one by Bill Granger, called Bill's Food:
http://thegoodwebguide.com/chan_food/topic.php3?art_id=1503

or - order it through Amazon, via the A2K connection:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0864119917/qid=1048644497/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-4387651-5229264
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:28 pm
Yes, we've got Bill's Food and Sydney Food. We also got the Doyle's Seafood Cookbook, Bilson's Recipe Book, Neil Perry's Rockpool, the Watermark Restaurant cookbook and we haven't even left the CBD yet! Stephanie Alexander, Ian Parmenter, Iain Hewitson, and everything by Donna Hay!

..and Cheap Eats in Sydney in case you don't feel like cooking!

That was the list for this month to date!! "Eat it, eat it, put it in your mouth and feed it, grab a banana, take the whole bunch, it doesn't matter what you had for lucnch, eat it...."
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:35 pm
I am very opposed to cookbooks, but all people i know find my dislike strange, in the least. I don't like manuals either and choose not to use them, I believe in trial and error approach, in cooking as well.
But there is one cookbook that i found intriguing and even read long passages secretely. The cookbook of the Naked Chef, the England's wonder boy. The stuffed duck he described made my eyes almost jump out of my head!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 01:07 pm
Dagmaraka

I'm not a big cookbook user, but I love cookbooks.

I'm more a trial and error cook, but lately I seem to have more of the latter than I would like, which makes eating them - the former! Confused

Perhaps it's time to start on the cookbooks! Shocked
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 10:47 pm
Marie Claire fresh!! Make them go away!!!
0 Replies