Don't you dare walk away!; When political partisans want a fight.

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2021 05:46 pm
Walking away from a fight is a good thing. When threads start to get personal, making your points and then leaving for a more productive place is a good thing for your own mental health, and for the board. We have too many threads where there are pages and pages of mudslinging.

I confess I am often a part of this. So, I am making a personal decision to make my points, and then leave a thread when the mudslinging happens.

On most threads, if someone has an interesting point to make, I will engage. This is especially true if someone brings up an idea that I have never considered before. But when the discussion starts getting into the same points repeated over and over again, it is time to consider leaving. And when the personal insults start flying, it is definitely time to leave.

There is no shame in leaving a thread that is devolving into mudslinging

View best answer, chosen by maxdancona
Mame
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2021 05:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Justification for cowardice! Way to go, Max!
maxdancona

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2021 05:53 pm
@maxdancona,
In any given thread I come, I make my points. I respond to any counter-points that I find interesting. After that I am free to leave with no obligation to anyone. No one has an obligation to respond to anything

I am writing this because there is this childish taunting. People are saying things like "you leave when you are losing" or "you aren't able to support your points so you leave". It is like people are resentful that I am not sticking aroudn for them to heap humiliation upon me.

Obviously this taunting is getting to me (probably some left over emotional issues from my traumatic middle school years). So I am writing this to make it clear..

I am not going to feel any obligation to respond to nonsense, insults or any other posts that don't specifically interest me. I am here to express my own opinions on topics that interest me. When you bore me, I am gone.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2021 05:54 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Justification for cowardice! Way to go, Max!

Thank you for coming, Mame! I am glad you are here.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2021 06:02 pm
We get pages and pages of mudslinging, where people are doing nothing but hurling personal insults at each other. Do we really enjoy this?

My advice to everyone.

1) If you have a point to make, make it clearly.
2) If you disagree with someone, say why you disagree clearly without making a personal attack.
3) If you have nothing left to say on a topic... summarize your points again and then leave.

I think threads would be much better if more people left threads when they have nothing else to say on the topic.
Mame

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2021 06:06 pm
@maxdancona,
I think threads would be much better if only informed people would post on them.

If you're not a woman, STFU. You can't possibly know. If you're not disabled, STFU. You can't possibly know. If you're short, STFU. You can't possibly know. If you're not an indigenous or an immigrant, STFU. You can't possibly know. ETC. So YOU should just STFU on a lot of threads.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2021 06:08 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

...where people are doing nothing but hurling personal insults at each other. Do we really enjoy this?

Well, you appear to. You try to minimize women by calling them 'kitten'. You're just a dickwad who tries to bully and reduce women by this 'name-calling'. Fortunately, neither Punkey or I respect you enough to care or respond to this minimalization. Well, I can't speak for Punkey. She can certainly speak for herself.
roger

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2021 06:11 pm
@Mame,
Now, don't you worry your pretty, little head about it.
Mame

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2021 06:17 pm
@roger,
Don't you mean, "pretty little KITTEN head about it"? Meow!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2021 06:38 pm
We got the "Threads Slamming Shut" slammed shut. Now (after making my point) I am walking away from the "Don't you dare walk away thread".

The former is a show of good sense by the moderators. The latter is a show of good sense by me.

I think I made my point rather well.
Mame

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2021 06:55 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

hink I made my point rather well.

Of course you did because you're a narcissist. It's all about you.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2021 09:22 pm
@Mame,
I'm still not sure why "threads slamming shut" was a problem, but maybe I should look at the comments that were blocked. I have several people on ignore so perhaps I missed the direction of the discussion. It seems to me that threads have been shut down more frequently in the last 8 months or so, but engineer did explain that one of the shuttered threads has been shut down, then opened up, then shut down numerous times. So maybe it just seems more frequent.

Well, I'd better dash, it's almost time for the "in crowd meeting" and we are voting for a new 'leader'. If you can't come please give your proxy to one of the other nifty cool kids. Be there or be square, you groovy kids.
Mame

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2021 09:55 pm
@glitterbag,
"in crowd" Razz Cool Laughing what-ev-uh...
glitterbag

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2021 11:48 pm
@Mame,
shhhhhhhhhhhhh. It's a secret
roger

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 01:36 am
@glitterbag,
How can you tell which crowd you are in?
Mame

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 09:57 am
@roger,
There is no in-crowd. That's a high school thing. I have no idea what he was talking about. And there aren't really enough people on here to be called a 'crowd' anyway.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 10:26 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

How can you tell which crowd you are in?

I honestly don't know, usually someone will accuse you of being the leader or follower of an 'in crowd', and I think that might count, but I never get told about the meetings and I haven't paid dues.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Don't you dare walk away!; When political partisans want a fight.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 03:24:58