Are there any food trends you now find annoying?

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 07:31 pm
I'm getting irritated that so many restaurants now state "on a fresh brioche" as if that's a good thing. I don't like anything about them, they are mushy and too shiny on the top. I almost would prefer them to offer Wonder Bread, and I frigging hate Wonder Bread.

Also, what is the deal with pimentos??? Suddenly sandwich shops offer melted pimento cheese on some Sammies....the idea is gag worthy. My mother was a great cook, but every so often she would make Chicken ala King (probably because she thought it was jazzing up the menu...) I can still recall those nasty red slivers floating around in a creamy chicken sauce ruining something that might have actually been tasty. Even the fragrance was offensive.

How about the rest of you folks, any food trends that are plucking your last nerve?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 3,399 • Replies: 68
No top replies

Mame

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 07:46 pm
@glitterbag,
Well, what's the big deal with Avocado Toast? I don't know about where you are but here it's the 'trendy' thing, with many variations. And they charge nearly $20 for it. Yeah, don't think so, lady! Don't know where it sprang from but GO AWAY.

And I have to laugh when I see lettuce or jam or slice turkey breast advertised as "Gluten-Free" - well, yeah! Duh. Just jumping on the trendy bandwagon.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 11:12 pm
@Mame,
Oh right, I forgot about avocado ...... I'd rather eat library paste. I think that's gluten free as well.

And all the damn jalapeño sliced into taco's or salads. I don't dislike them because they are hot, I dislike them because I think they add a spoiled taste and they stink. Do not, repeat, do not add them to hamburgers or cheese or anything. You want hot, how about hot chili powder or paprika or cayenne?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 11:55 am
I forgot to mention sliders. Who got the bright idea to convince hungry people they should eat twice the bread with half the protein...and pay extra for it.
Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 12:03 pm
@glitterbag,
The good thing about sliders is they're shareable. If you and your buds don't have a big appetite, they're perfect.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 12:37 pm
I’m with Mame on that. I don’t have a huge appetite, a slider is often just the right size for me.

The only time pimentos appear on the shelves of most UK supermarkets is when they’re stuffing green olives.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 12:50 pm
@izzythepush,
The only time I don't mind pimento is when it's stuffed in green olives. Anywhere else, no thank you.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 01:15 pm
What I find annoying is that because I have a small appetite, I look to the appetizers for my meal and often they're unimaginative and usually deep-fried, which I don't want. Why can't they make smaller portions of their regular meals? Serve 1/2, for example. Most don't.

And I think bread producers should provide 1/2 loaves. I can't/don't eat a whole loaf even in a week so it goes stale.

There are a lot more elder people around today and they don't eat a lot.

For me, 4 oz of meat is a lot but you can never get protein in that size.

The upside is, when I order a regular dinner, I have lunch and dinner for the next day for the price of one meal.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 01:36 pm
@Mame,
We eat a lot of rolls, you can buy one a day fresh, or more if you want to.

Or you can bake your own, same principle.

Whenever I bake bread I almost always make rolls. That way the inside cooks before the outside starts to burn. If ever I bake a loaf I always have to cover it in tin foil until the last ten minutes.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 01:54 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

"on a fresh brioche" as if that's a good thing. I don't like anything about them,

That reminds me of a radio 4 news special on fast food in post war Britain.

Brioche is sweeter than the usual burger bun, and that’s why.

Just after WW2 British fast food was mainly fish and chips with salt and vinegar, quite sour. The Indian immigrants brought curry, again very sour, the same can be said of Chinese food.

That was pretty much it until McDonalds launched in the 70s. The whole set up, bun, pickle sauce, it was all a lot sweeter and that makes a big difference.

Marrying fat and sugar together is the perfect pairing, it makes it doubly addictive, with all that goes with it.

The ultimate example is salted caramel, salt plus fat plus sugar, a real unholy trinity. It only emerged in the last decade or so and now it’s everywhere.

Not saying I don’t like it though.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 03:35 pm
@izzythepush,
Well, during the pandemic, they haven't been selling bulk rolls, which adds to the problem. They come in a dozen, so it's worse than a loaf of bread. Before, however, that's exactly what I did. I'd buy two at a time. And I'm nowhere near a bakery, unfortunately, where I'm sure they would sell me one or two.

However, First World problems, right? Can't complain as I have access to bread when so many others don't.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2021 01:20 pm
In a word...Keto.

More to the point, how companies and consumers have overcomplicated and made it more expensive and difficult than it has no be.

All these recipes and invented products that produce ersatz results.

There's only 3 things to it when you get to the nitty gritty.
1. Lots of vegetables. Anything that grows above the ground.
2 Lots of fat. That's in the form of grass fed butter, the parts of animals that people have become terrified of because they are actually the most delicious parts, eggs and various plant oils.
3. No grains

I want to carry around my blood work to show people who, with no knowledge, talk about "how unhealthy" it is.

Seems pretty healthy to me to not be shoving food in your mouth every 2 or 3 hours. It's nice going 8 to 16 hours at a time not being hungry. It's like your entire body is like "whew. Thanks for giving us some rest"

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2021 10:21 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
And I think bread producers should provide 1/2 loaves. I can't/don't eat a whole loaf even in a week so it goes stale.

We don't eat a lot of bread. So when I take a loaf home, it goes directly into the freezer. Same thing with bagels.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2021 11:27 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I freeze the extra bread too.
Mame

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:25 am
@edgarblythe,
I like my bread soft, not hard like it gets once it's been frozen. It's really only good for toast or French toast then. Or maybe a grilled sandwich.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:47 am
@Mame,
I live in walking distance of a shop with a bakery.

Too much bread is only a problem if I buy too much.

I can buy a roll a day if I want.

That’s the advantage of living off a high street.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 09:37 pm
@glitterbag,
Goat milk cheese.

You do realize how gross goat milk actually is? Then they make cheese of out it? And it's no kidding EXPENSIVE? To ruin my burger?

No, just no.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 06:01 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Well, what's the big deal with Avocado Toast? I don't know about where you are but here it's the 'trendy' thing, with many variations. And they charge nearly $20 for it. Yeah, don't think so, lady! Don't know where it sprang from but GO AWAY.

And I have to laugh when I see lettuce or jam or slice turkey breast advertised as "Gluten-Free" - well, yeah! Duh. Just jumping on the trendy bandwagon.

Definitely the gluten-free thing. Stuff that is just normally and naturally gluten free but the need to label it as such like someone who is on a gluten free diet is going to be enticed to go to your restaurant because you note something that is gluten free that normally is as

The avocado toast is yes a trend. I think it is because avocados are being recognized as being healthy. I love avocado so I don't mind other than now these things are being over priced because of the trend.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 06:11 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

What I find annoying is that because I have a small appetite, I look to the appetizers for my meal and often they're unimaginative and usually deep-fried, which I don't want. Why can't they make smaller portions of their regular meals? Serve 1/2, for example. Most don't.

There are a lot more elder people around today and they don't eat a lot.

For me, 4 oz of meat is a lot but you can never get protein in that size.

The upside is, when I order a regular dinner, I have lunch and dinner for the next day for the price of one meal.

For the smaller portions I agree. Not just elderly but people that like to eat real portion sizes or maybe someone that just wants something more light. Most restaurants give very large sizes.

I have noticed another trend - maybe one that is not as annoying - smaller dish options at some restaurants that fits this sort of thought. They are not like typical appetizers but more like just lighter smaller meals.

Another thing my husband and I do - is split a meal. We aren't trying to be cheap just being thoughtful on our portion sizes and not wanting to waste food especially when we are in a position where we either do not want to bring home leftovers or are in a situation where this is not possible. I do know some restaurants will not do this but I am finding most will.

Also, the other day - we went to a small local place showing my niece around - my 18 year old was able to order a kids meal to get the smaller portion. We were hungry but it was too close to dinner time so we just wanted a light meal (almost like tea time) to hold us over. My daughter and I split something and my other daughter asked if it was ok for her to order the kids lunch instead. One thing though kids meals tend to be more basic. Again some places will not do this unless you are under a certain age - we explained our situation and politely asked if that was possible - they were more than kind to accomodate.
Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 04:30 am
And speaking of the whole gluten-free trend, I wonder what the actual percentage is of people that really have the problem? My guess is about 1 to 5 % at most. However, from all of the media and marketing on the foods, you'd think it was an epidemic and a majority of the consuming Public. Let me look it up...

[edit: it is less than 1%]