What books are you reading?

Mame

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2021 06:28 pm
I just finished 'The Gown", by Jennifer Robson, a fictional but historically accurate tale of the making of Queen Elizabeth II's wedding gown. Quite an interesting read. It's about two of the women who were instrumental in the making of it.

And I'm almost finished "The Bookseller of Florence" with is 'the story of the manuscripts that illuminated the renaissance" - also a great read. Author - Ross King. I think I'm going to order another of his books - "The Last Supper". Very well-researched and well-written.

And loved Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Small Country" as well as "Nature Girl" by Carl Hiaasen - he makes me laugh out loud.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 709 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Mame

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 07:45 am
@Mame,
What - nobody is reading anything?

I have borrowed several books on spices from the library which I've been poring over - some contained things I'd never heard of, like jaggery, nigella seeds (they're just onion seeds), Indian bay leaves... So I found an Indian store and bought a bunch of spices and herbs which I'm looking forward to using.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 07:47 am
I have such poor eyesight that I rarely undertake to read whole books anymore.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 07:49 am
@Mame,

reading Later, by Stephen King...
hightor

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 08:05 am
I'm reading an old edition of "The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe". Interestingly, I'd no sooner cracked the book when this article came to my attention:

Is Poe the most influential American writer? A new book offers evidence.
Mame

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 11:03 am
@Region Philbis,
Just read a summary of it - are you liking it?

I can't read him because he gives me nightmares. Tried a few pages of IT but I don't like to be terrified before I go to sleep.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 11:04 am
@edgarblythe,
That's a real shame. Do you do audiobooks?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 11:52 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

reading Later, by Stephen King...

I have to pay for it if I want it - I rely on things like the library and amazon prime - there are certain books I can get on my kindle for free. I have been spoiled when I think that paying $7 is too much.

Will it keep me up at night because it is scary - if so it might be worth the $7
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 01:02 pm
Mame wrote:
Just read a summary of it - are you liking it?

I can't read him because he gives me nightmares. Tried a few pages of IT but I don't like to be terrified before I go to sleep.

Linkat wrote:
Will it keep me up at night because it is scary - if so it might be worth the $7

the horror aspect is the thing i like least about King.

what has been keeping me coming back for more since the 70's is masterful story telling and character development.

i highly recommend anything he's written, including the many collections of short stories...
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 01:10 pm
@Region Philbis,
I like the more psychological horror not the blood and guts sort of thing. Like as in Misery.

Also like the character development some that I like that is not scary … Stand by Me and Shawshank Redemption … movies as well as the short stories. But even his “horror” ones tend to have deep characters like in IT.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 01:49 pm
@Linkat,

just about everything he writes has some blood and guts -- that is, after all, his genre...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 01:52 pm
@Region Philbis,
I think I'll do a little research and give him a try. I like great story-telling and characters. That's why I liked The Bookseller of Florence so much. And The Gown. Both historically true, as well.

I never liked Margaret Atwood but one year my husband bought me The Blind Assassin for Christmas. As soon as I opened it, I wanted to throw it out (or at him). But... I started reading it and found it to be completely unlike her other books. I loved it. Then I started reading The Edible Woman and remembered why I hated reading her so much. Also saw the latter at the theatre and a more-mangled, confusing performance I have never witnessed. Not her fault, perhaps, but it did mark me for life Smile

So, you never know. There are literary surprises out there.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 02:07 pm
@hightor,
Thanks for the reminder - I haven't read much of him, but I'll see what our library has.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 04:08 pm
A Year in the World by Frances Mayes

travel reading since I can't go anywhere -- and her descriptions of food are amazing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 01:20 pm
Steinbeck's The Pearl—teaching it for the first time next year.
Hawaii: first time since 1977 when I absolutely fell in love with it.

Just started both. Will check back in.

Love this thread.
Lash

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 01:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Youtube has free audiobooks that you might want to try.
Linkat

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 01:36 pm
@Lash,
The Pearl I loved and hated that book. So depressing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 01:52 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Youtube has free audiobooks that you might want to try.

My ability to listen is also limited.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 02:12 pm
@Lash,
The Pearl reminds me of the moral of the story in Guy de Maupassant's The Necklace. I read Hawaii about then, too. Then Chesapeake, then Poland.

On a related note, Lash, have you read anything by Edward Rutherfurd? He wrote the same type of books. Sarum, London, Princes of Ireland, etc.

When I saw "The Pearl" in your post, I immediately thought of Pearl S. Buck. I devoured her books in my teens and early 20's. Have you read her?
Lash

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 03:05 pm
@Mame,
I’ll have to look up Rutherfurd, but the titles you mentioned don’t ring a bell.

I *really* enjoyed Buck’s The Good Earth a loooong time ago. I think that’s the only one, but (laughing) going to check titles on both authors now. Thanks for tips.

1. Forums
  2. » What books are you reading?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:57:22