Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:07 am
How do I know if a relationship of two lines of ratio pi corresponds to a circle and its derivatives? For the value of the ratio of pi can surely be found for many other ratios of pairs of lines which are not derived from circles.

This post was moved in error by admin, who seem to think that it belongs in mathematics. It does not. It belongs in philosophy. There is not much hope of a coherent answer to it here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 885 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:02 pm
Pi is defined as the ratio of the circumference to diameter of a circle, which is always 3.141593..... It shows up in many formulas in science and engineering which are not obviously related to circles.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 03:51 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Pi is defined as the ratio of the circumference to diameter of a circle, which is always 3.141593..... It shows up in many formulas in science and engineering which are not obviously related to circles.

Is it 3.14.. because it is derived from a curve?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 02:48 am
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

No one who has ever lived has known why it has that value, it just does.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 04:26 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

No one who has ever lived has known why it has that value, it just does.

But pi is always something to do with curves?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 05:57 am
Pi always has to do with the relationship of a circle and its diameter. Circles and lines do not exist in the physical universe--they only exist in the minds of people. It is equally silly to contend that "no one knows" why the ratio is what it is. A geometer conceives of a circle, and then conceives of a diameter. The circle is an infinite number of points which occupy no space and describe a line all of the points of which are equidistant from a central point. Determining the ratio of the length of the line which forms the circle to the diameter (a line describing the distance between any two points of the circle which are exactly 180 degrees of arc apart) is simply a mathematical tool. Circles and lines are simply mental constructs which serve as tools in thought experiments. They are not real, they are only mental constructs.

Which mental constructs have now occupied more of my attention than they merit.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 09:07 am
look at The history of Pi web page.

My non de plume? Initials so nice I say them twice.

Rap c∫;?/
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 11:08 am
Setanta wrote:
Pi always has to do with the relationship of a circle and its diameter. Circles and lines do not exist in the physical universe--they only exist in the minds of people. It is equally silly to contend that "no one knows" why the ratio is what it is. A geometer conceives of a circle, and then conceives of a diameter. The circle is an infinite number of points which occupy no space and describe a line all of the points of which are equidistant from a central point. Determining the ratio of the length of the line which forms the circle to the diameter (a line describing the distance between any two points of the circle which are exactly 180 degrees of arc apart) is simply a mathematical tool. Circles and lines are simply mental constructs which serve as tools in thought experiments. They are not real, they are only mental constructs.

Which mental constructs have now occupied more of my attention than they merit.

You are begging the question. You say curves and lines are constructs but do not say why it is possible to make pi from curves but not from straight lines? Please occupy your attention to this.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 01:39 pm
Please bite me. If you don't like the answer, then don't accept it, but don't tell me what i must discuss. The quesiton is silly, and i frankly have no interest in playing a silly game.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 03:42 pm
Quote:
You are begging the question. You say curves and lines are constructs but do not say why it is possible to make pi from curves but not from straight lines? Please occupy your attention to this.

you can form a circle out of straight line segments and as the number of segments approaches infinity you will approach pi as the ratio. k?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 03:57 pm
stuh505 wrote:
you can form a circle out of straight line segments and as the number of segments approaches infinity you will approach pi as the ratio. k?

When i was bored in mathematics or science classes (which was usually the case), i would laboriously create "circles" through the use of straight line segments in my notebooks. None of the teachers ever got it--they were boring and even drawing a series of lines was more interesting than what they were foisting on me.

I sometimes regret that i did not apply myself more to math and science, but it probably would not have made a difference in my life. I always loved geometry, though, because i could draw it . . .
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
stuh505 wrote:

When i was bored in mathematics or science classes (which was usually the case), i would laboriously create "circles" through the use of straight line segments in my notebooks. None of the teachers ever got it--they were boring and even drawing a series of lines was more interesting than what they were foisting on me.

I sometimes regret that i did not apply myself more to math and science, but it probably would not have made a difference in my life. I always loved geometry, though, because i could draw it . . .

Alright, EVERYBODY!
Here's the answer. The reason why pi CANNOT be taken from a straight line is that a circle needs two points to define its length whereas a line requires one. This also shows that the imaginary, if not erronous 'infinite line', can also support pi.
Let us now meditate upon admin for protecting us from swear-words..OMff
0 Replies

markr

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:02 pm
What does that mean???

A single point defines neither a line nor its length (which is infinite).

A line segment is finite, but still requires two points for its definition.

Perhaps you mean dimensions?
0 Replies