When Black Lives Matter goes too far. The case of Jacob Blake.

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2021 04:01 pm
Here are the facts of this case.

1. Jacob Blake had a knife and was struggling with police.
2. The police had started with minimal force. Then they used a tazer. Blake refused to comply.
3. At the point he was shot, Blake was attempting to enter a car that had kids in the backseat.
4. At the time the mother was screaming "he has my kids". Jacob Blake was still defying police commands and still had the knife.
5. The police were there to respond to domestic violence. The officers responding knew he had an open arrest warrant to felony sexual assault.

If you were the officer, I assume your first concern would be preventing an alleged sex offender from putting the kids in danger. Given that he wasn't complying and didn't respond even to a taser... what is the police officer supposed to do in this case.

If Black Lives Matter is going to take a knee-jerk political position on every shooting no matter what the facts say, it seems they lose credibility.

There are plenty of cases where the police were clearly in the wrong. This isn't one of them.

longjon

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2021 04:17 pm
To add to all of these legitimate points, why is Benjamin Crump the same lawyer for all these black people resisting arrest?

If this is about "civil rights" and not $$$$, then why is this same guy who's even more extreme than Al Sharpton representing all these cases?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2021 04:25 pm
@longjon,
I am not supporting longjon's position. I find many of his comments, including this one, to be irrational and blatantly racist.

My position is that there is a real problem with systemic racism in policing that needs to be addressed. Saying that any police shooting is murder is just as extreme as saying no shooting is.

Black Lives Matter loses credibility when they are unable to make this distinction based on the facts,
longjon

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2021 04:33 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I find many of his comments, including this one, to be irrational and blatantly racist.

Support your assertion with evidence that what I said is "racist".

Or apologize.
BillRM

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 06:42 am
@longjon,
Love that firing into a car with children in the car is consider good police work.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 07:06 am
@BillRM,
What would you have done Bill.

You are responding to a domestic violence call with a guy who has an outstanding felony sexual assault warrant against him. He is out of control and resisting arrest. And he is armed with a knife.

It is the job of the police to protect the kids from a domestic abuser. You would let him drive off with the kids?

The kids were in danger. It wasn't the police officer who put them there.
BillRM

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 07:22 am
@maxdancona,
Yes indeed as there is no where for the man to hide if he did drive off with the kids an having bullets flying around in a car with the children is very likely to put the kids at greater risks then allowing him to drive off I would indeed allow him to drive off. Waiting for a time where he is not in a small space with the kids.

Having the kids kill by stay bullets or parts of bullets is not an ideal solution.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 07:32 am
@BillRM,
If you were a police officer you would have hundreds of hours of training including actual training with firearms about when it is appropriate to take a shot against a dangerous suspect. When You faced an armed aggressive man in a domestic violence case you you would follow your training.

I haven't been to that training. I could look at the picture and see that the gun was not at all pointed towards the children and I can make a judgment that the shot looks safe to me. But, that would be silly because I don't know what I'm talking about.

The fact is that independent experts have said that this was an appropriate shot to have taken.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 07:35 am
@BillRM,
My point in this thread is that you are making a knee - jerk judgement based on a political narrative. I don't know if you have even looked at the photos or read the rationale for the police action.

When political narrative is more important than actual facts, that is a problem. The black lives matter movement loses credibility when it does this.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 10:35 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
If you were a police officer you would have hundreds of hours of training including actual training with firearms about when it is appropriate to take a shot against a dangerous suspect. When You faced an armed aggressive man in a domestic violence case you you would follow your training.[/ quote]

!!!!!Police officers that seem not to know when they are handling a taser or a firearm that is the training of long term officers that you wish to trust with the life of children!!!!!!!!
maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 10:46 am
@BillRM,
Calm down there Bill! I think you might be confusing two different cases.
BillRM

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 11:22 am
@maxdancona,
Hell no as you was trying to claim that police officers are so well train that we can trust them to used firearms around children in a car and yet there had been cases of highly train officers using a firearm instead of a taser they was meaning to used on someone

Maybe you trust that level of shown training with the lives of children but I do not.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 11:32 am
@BillRM,
You are being irrational.

We have armed police men respond to domestic violence calls because very often and these calls the women and children involved are in real risk to their safety. In my opinion in these cases the police should have guns and they should be willing to use the guns what cases where they are needed to protect the life and safety of the children their mother or the officer.

In this case you have a armed man with a felony sex assault warrant who is refusing to comply with police. Your solution is to let this suspect ride away with young hostages as the mother screams "he has my kids".

Maybe your solution is better. And, maybe this is the decision you would have made if you were in this situation and needed to make a split-second decision.

I don't think your harsh judgment of this police officer who actually needed to make this decision it is it all valid. Nor should this judgment be made on the basis of an ideological narrative.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 11:33 am
@BillRM,
Question: is there any case where shooting an armed sex offender who is trying to ride off with children in the car is valid?
BillRM

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 12:28 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Question: is there any case where shooting an armed sex offender who is trying to ride off with children in the car is valid?

When you are not placing children at risk deadly force is fine but not firing into repeat into a car full with children!!!!!!!
maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 01:16 pm
@BillRM,
Good so it looks like we're reaching an agreement then. Your issue is the risk to the children. I suppose that means that if you can be shown that there was no legitimate risk to the children then this would be a acceptable use of force against Jacob Blake.
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 01:26 pm
I read that her gun and her taser were on opposite hips. If that's true, how could anyone make that mistake. And I agree with BillRM - never shoot at an innocent person, in this case, children. They could have figured something else out (shoot out the tires, for example). How would they feel if they'd killed one of the children?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 01:35 pm
@Mame,
This thread is about the Jacob Blake case. In the Jacob Blake case no one confused a gun for a taser and no one "shot at children".

Mame, please read the details of the case BEFORE you jump to a knee jerk ideological conclusion. That is the point of this thread.

No one bothers to look at the facts. Everyone just lines up without thinking into their predictable political sides. This isn't good for us as a country.
BillRM

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 01:38 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Good so it looks like we're reaching an agreement then. Your issue is the risk to the children. I suppose that means that if you can be shown that there was no legitimate risk to the children then this would be a acceptable use of force against Jacob Blake.

Yes while it should be the last resort it is acceptable but not when you have children in the same car.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 01:40 pm
@maxdancona,
Well, fortunately for you I'm Canadian, so don't fret, no effect on your country.

What's Bill talking about then?

ha ha ha

1. Forums
  2. » When Black Lives Matter goes too far. The case of Jacob Blake.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:07:48