Prince Phillip has died aged 99.

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 03:27 pm
@izzythepush,
maybe QE,R II will abdicate and Charles will gget a coupla years bwfore he turns it all over to his oldest son.
I like Phillips quiet involvement in world environmental issues.

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 03:29 pm
@longjon,
doesnt take much to become educated there Longy. Try it . Oh wait, you have an immeasurable IQ right?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 03:44 pm
@farmerman,
He was very outspoken on the environment then he goes and shoots a tiger.

I read somewhere that the Queen will never abdicate.

I think she’s got a few years left in her.
0 Replies

longjon

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 06:57 pm
@farmerman,
And how many PHD's do you have there gramps?

Meghan Markle and Oprah explained that the royal family are a bunch of inbred bigots and racists. That's why the izzy thing is a fan of them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 07:39 pm
@izzythepush,
Some coverage here, but not too much. There was a provincial call in on CBC radio at noon. Mostly people talking about how great he was with their kids and/or talking about jokes they'd shared somehow. Seemed like he was most un-p.c when there was likely to be media around.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 07:41 pm
Have to admit I'm a total sucker for pix of him with his grands and great-grandchildren.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Wilso

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2021 04:17 pm
Di’s been dead for 23 years, and they still won’t shut the **** up about her. Wondering how long the nauseating crap will go on for this time.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2021 04:18 pm
@Wilso,
Think yourself lucky you’re not over here.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2021 04:19 pm
Today the Queen carried out her first official duty since Phillip died.

A private ceremony where Earl Peel stood down as Royal Chamberlain.

Apparently he’s the one who organises royal ceremonies.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2021 03:45 pm
@izzythepush,
The new Lord Chamberlain, appointed by the Queen is a former head of MI5, Lord Parker.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2021 01:23 am
Phillip’s funeral is today.

While the Times leads with a picture of The Queen and Phillip on holiday in Scotland, the Guardian has a big photo of actress Helen McCrory who died yesterday,(RIP Helen,) and two stories on government sleaze and pregnant women being vaccinated.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2021 06:36 pm
@glitterbag,
lol god you have become too funny and caustic, girl
BillRM

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2021 07:29 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The BBC has received a lot of complaints about the wall to wall coverage yesterday.

They’re being a bit secretive about how many complaints and the nature of some of them.

I remember when president Kennedy was killed and in order to hear anything other then Kennedy materials for a week I needed to tune Canadian stations and the BBC.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2021 01:00 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

lol god you have become too funny and caustic, girl

One of the benefits of getting old is you don't have to bite your tongue.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2021 02:38 am
@BillRM,
The first episode of Doctor Who was aired live straight after the assassination. The actors had only just heard the news and then they were on.
BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2021 08:43 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The first episode of Doctor Who was aired live straight after the assassination. The actors had only just heard the news and then they were on.

Those first few Dr Who shows was so low budget they was amusing to say the least if I remember correctly.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2021 11:16 pm
@BillRM,
Not when you’re a preschooler.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2021 11:29 pm
@izzythepush,
I saw a photo of Queen Elizabeth with a tear just below the lower lid of her right eye. They were married 72 years, this has to be painful for her..........it dredged up painful memories of personal losses....it's something none of can escape, that big empty hole you feel when someone you love dies.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2021 12:34 am
@glitterbag,
Little things like that tend to get missed. This was supposed to be a private service with 30 guests. Nobody told the armed forces that, who were marching all over the place.

I suppose that’s about as private as Royal funerals get.

One commentator said that the Queen isn’t just mourning Philip, she’s a representative of everybody who has lost someone to Covid over the last year, and she symbolises the grief of the nation which isn’t easy.