The Derek Chauvin Trial

snood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 07:37 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

There was a cop in the south convicted of murder when he casually shot someone in the back. It was within the past ten years I think, but not too recent.

I've not examined the case in any detail, but I've always assumed that he was guilty of the murder charge that he was convicted of.

What do you mean by unjust? Does a case where an innocent person was killed by the police even though the police didn't do anything wrong count as unjust? Or does unjust only encompass criminal wrongdoing by the police?

You are referring when Walter Scott was shot in the back by former police officer Michael Slager in South Carolina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Walter_Scott

The fact that you named this as an example in answer to my question tells me that you know exactly “what I mean” by unjust.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 09:06 am
The questioning going on right now between Prosecutor Blackwell and the main ER physician who provided care to George Floyd is interesting, and kinda strange.

Interesting because it’s providing a graphic look into the ER process that day. Strange because of what’s not being asked, and the answers not being given.

Floyd was dead before he ever got to the hospital, and it seems to me that little, crucial factoid could get overlooked in all the questioning focused on minutiae and terminology.
revelette3

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 12:02 pm
@snood,
Perhaps but he laid bare the cause of the George Floyd's death (as though there was any doubt.)

Quote:
Meanwhile, the doctor who provided emergency care to Floyd at Hennepin County Medical Center was the first person to testify Monday morning. He told jurors that – at the time and based on the information he had available – he believed Floyd died from a lack of oxygen, rather than an overdose or heart attack.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/derek-chauvin-trial-live-doctor-believed-lack-of-oxygen-likely-caused-floyd-s-death-police-chief-medaria-arradondo-testifies/ar-BB1fjcZL?ocid=msedgdhp
snood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 12:06 pm
@revelette3,
The police chief is fascinating
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 12:37 pm
@snood,
Quote:
he wrote many of the policies Chauvin was supposed to have adhered to...
snood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 12:42 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
he wrote many of the policies Chauvin was supposed to have adhered to...

Yes, and his record makes him very hard to impugn. His grasp of police policy is impressive, as is his delivery and carriage.

I’m looking forward to seeing the defense try to find a way to decrease the obvious impact his testimony is having.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 12:45 pm
@snood,
Clearly the MPD has taken a position. It will be interesting to hear to fellow officers who were fired.
snood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 01:01 pm
@engineer,
You mean the other officers present when Floyd was killed?
snood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 01:24 pm
The defense is starting their cross of the chief. The very first question was “You haven’t actually arrested anyone yourself for a long time, right?”
They’re going to try to make him look out of touch with the day to day challenges of a patrolman.
snood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 01:30 pm
I know we need to have attorneys both to defend and prosecute for the system to function.

I suppose it’s inevitable that some defense lawyers have had to present a defense for persons they themselves actually believed were guilty. It’s their job - they take a vow to do so.

But I still can’t help but wonder how in the hell a decent person could allow themselves to defend a piece of **** like Chauvin.

lmur

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 01:41 pm
@snood,
That was the line of questioning used with Lt. Zimmerman as well. Pushing the line that he hadn't been on the beat since 2003 (I think it was) and whose only recent experience in restraining techniques were 'training courses.' The defense attorney's deflation was almost enjoyable to behold in the following exchange (reproduced from memory).

Def. Attorney: - 'When was the last time you were in a physical fight.'
Lt. Zimmerman: - 'It was - let me see - 2018.'
D.A.: - 'So. A couple of years.'

snood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 01:44 pm
@lmur,
Yeah, saw that. 😊
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 02:01 pm
@snood,
I have had to miss quite a bit as I had to do a complete reorganization and cleaning in my kitchen. For my birthday (kind of sad but very useful)my husband bought me a new cookware set, running out of room to put stuff, plus kitchen was a mess because of Sunday Easter dinner. So catching up between breaks on the nyt.

Quote:
The chief of the Minneapolis Police Department testified on Monday that Derek Chauvin had “absolutely” violated department policies when he knelt on George Floyd for more than nine minutes in May.

Chief Medaria Arradondo said in court that Mr. Chauvin had failed to follow policies on de-escalation, use-of-force and the duty to render aid to people who need it.

“I absolutely agree that violates our policy,” Chief Arradondo in response to a prosecutor’s question about Mr. Chauvin’s actions. “That is not part of our policy; that is not what we teach.”

The chief said Mr. Chauvin’s actions may have been reasonable in the “first few seconds” to subdue Mr. Floyd, but that much of his actions had violated policies.

“Once Mr. Floyd had stopped resisting, and certainly once he was in distress and trying to verbalize that, that should have stopped,” Chief Arradondo said.

Chief Arradondo, who became the city’s first Black police chief when he took over in 2017, fired Derek Chauvin and three other officers involved in the arrest within a day of Mr. Floyd’s death. He publicly called Mr. Floyd’s death a “murder” the following month.

From the witness stand on Monday, Chief Arradondo recounted that he had first learned about the bystander video of the officers’ arrest when a community member sent him a message on May 25, just before midnight.

“Chief, have you seen the video of your officer choking and killing that man at 38th and Chicago?” the message said, referring to the intersection where Mr. Floyd was arrested, according to Mr. Arradondo, who said he remembered it “almost verbatim.”

Read more

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/04/05/us/derek-chauvin-trial
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 02:01 pm
@snood,
Yes, I think they are coming up soon.
snood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 02:08 pm
@engineer,
I’m interested to see how much of the ‘blue wall of silence’ they will be influenced by, or if they’ve made deals that will require them to be more cooperative with the prosecution.
engineer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 02:37 pm
@snood,
They have their own trials coming so I don't expect any acceptance of responsibility
snood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 02:42 pm
@engineer,
Right - they won’t accept any responsibility or incriminate themselves, but does that mean they won’t assign responsibility to Chauvin?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 03:14 pm
@snood,
Quote:
how in the hell a decent person could allow themselves to defend a piece of **** like Chauvin.
dirty job, somebody's gotta do it...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 03:31 pm
@snood,
Well, lawyers may take it on as a challenge. And we don't know what's going on behind closed doors. Any intelligent lawyer is pushing for Chauvin to plead down.

I would also submit that it's likely that Chauvin had to do some shopping around to find anyone to take his case.
snood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 03:38 pm
@jespah,
This was unsubstantiated- just something thrown out there on CNN during a break in the trial. The rumor was that there is a chair or chairs in the holding area designated especially for visitors of the prisoner on trial. They removed the chairs after weeks went by with no one visiting Chauvin.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:55:41